New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6
Re: Dates (do not read on empty stomach)
Posted by: Intrigue (---.vic.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 09, 2003 02:47AM

Is Arkansas where Albequerque is?

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: July 09, 2003 03:36AM

hehehe , nope!

Arkansas is in the south almost-eastern part of the US, and in many places in that state, they're very backwards red-neck types, mostly named Bubba and Billy (yes, we had a President named Bill from there!)

Albequeurque is in New Mexico is in the South West between California and Texas

Date: July 09, 2003 04:46AM

I remember why I associate the two, Bugs Bunny comes of a hole and says something about digging all the way from Arkansas to Albequerque. You don't watch Steve Irwin, do you?

Posted by: Guy (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 09, 2003 08:41AM

GSD, you're right -- I do remember making hallowe'en lanterns out of swedes as a small child. Bloody hard work it was too.

And yes English people do celebrate Hallowe'en, but swedes got replaced by pumpkins a good few years ago. American imperialism again, and I never even noticed . . .

Jesus saves; Buddha does incremental backup.

Date: July 09, 2003 09:38AM

Intrigue, yes I do watch Steve Irwin...does that man ever blink?? Their poor daughter Bindi...she definitely got her dad's ability to go a long time without blinking!

Date: July 09, 2003 09:42AM

Crikey! But don't all babies seem to have the ability to stare for long periods of time?

Date: July 09, 2003 09:49AM

not like her though! Watch closely sometime..it's creepy!

Posted by: KT (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 09, 2003 09:58AM

We all made Halloween lanterns from swedes, then put them outside people's doors, knocked and then hid (spirit knocking). None of this "money with menaces" that they do now. You didn't have to dress up either. Kids today....they don't know they're born.

Posted by: AlisonS (195.217.253.---)
Date: July 09, 2003 10:19AM

Yep that's what we did too - yes Guy I'm Scots - Hallowe'ens not commercial in Scotland, just fairly spooky and a lot of fun. But GSD those neeps are hard! We used to use a sharpened spoon on the principle that you'd take an eye out if you used a knife and it slipped... dread to think what you could do with a sharpened spoon.

Eigg I don't know much about (I'm from Edinburgh/Perthshire) except it's one of a small chain of islands off the West coast of Scotland, warm, very rainy, very beautiful, have to get there by boat. The Western Highlanders are a friendly bunch.

Posted by: AlisonS (195.217.253.---)
Date: July 09, 2003 10:27AM

Sorry losing my memory here - Eigg's the island the islanders bought from the latest absentee landlord, with a little help from various institutions - true community co-operation (bit like here, strikes me!)

They've got a website [www.isleofeigg.org]

ok no more Eigg, sorry everyone :)

Posted by: Sarah (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 09, 2003 12:44PM

And no more thread - I think it's time this one was officially closed due to its length, don't you?

A new one will be created shortly!

..........................................................................................

That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
(Llewelyn the dragon, Ozy and Millie)

Sarah

Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.