New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: welcome to all the newbies...
Posted by: Holly Daze (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 10, 2003 12:15AM

I think we are the only ones still playing, I've gotta go to bed so you'll just have to play by yourself, nite nite.

Posted by: Intrigue (---.vic.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 10, 2003 12:52AM

*DOGLOVERS, AVERT YOUR EYES*

I once was told the sad story about a dog that ran round the house with its leash attached, then jumped off a small balcony where it inadvertedly hanged itself. He was either a Rottweiller or a Shi-Tzu, I can't remember.

Posted by: kaz (139.134.57.---)
Date: July 10, 2003 04:22AM

There is a slight difference between a rottweiller and a shi-tzi so it really shouldn't be that difficult to work out which dog it was......

Posted by: Magda (---.dialip.mich.net)
Date: July 10, 2003 01:38PM

Yes, and the weight would be significantly different as well.

Posted by: Holly Daze (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 10, 2003 02:14PM

what weighs more, a pound of rottweiler or a pound of shi-tzu. (Im sure the name of that breed never used to have that convenient hyphen.)

Posted by: Jo (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 10, 2003 03:07PM

Hmmm... can we cut them out of the dogs to test? :) (I'm not much of a dog lover, me...)

I drink to drown my sorrows. Unfortunately they've learnt how to swim.

Posted by: Ptolemy (---.range217-44.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 10, 2003 03:36PM

It rained cats and dogs here the other day. I think I stepped in a poodle....

Posted by: Jo (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 10, 2003 03:38PM

BANG!

I drink to drown my sorrows. Unfortunately they've learnt how to swim.

Posted by: Tracy (---.hyperion.com)
Date: July 10, 2003 03:58PM

There goes that pun gun again. Hope it's under warranty. It's getting quite the workout lately.

Posted by: KT (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 10, 2003 04:02PM

I have a Sheepdog; it’s a Merino/Doberman crossbreed. It has a great fleece but it’s an absolute swine to shear.

Posted by: Ptolemy (---.range217-44.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 10, 2003 04:09PM

LOL @ KT!

I spilt spot remover on my dog and now he's gone :(

Posted by: KT (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 10, 2003 04:12PM

By the way, I have 17 lambpuppies available free to good homes. If anyone is interested, just send me a large self-addressed cardboard box – allow 28 days for delivery

Date: July 11, 2003 01:04AM

The reason I can't remember the dog is because I never met it, I just know that it was either big or small.

My dog has the dignified name of Celeste, after a certain Queen of the Elephants, which could explain why my cats name is Isabella...

---
Those who forget the pasta are doomed to reheat it.

Posted by: kaz (139.134.57.---)
Date: July 11, 2003 03:49AM

I live in a rental and the landlord doesn't allow larger animals (no cats, no dogs) but we did have a skink for a while there that my eldest caught out in the backyard. He was called George (the skink, not my eldest) from the Bugs Bunny carttons when the big doofus creature would say: "I'm going to love him and hold him and pet him and squeeze him and call him George."

George resided with us for about a month before he was returned to the backyard.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: July 11, 2003 05:57AM

My sister named her unborn baby George for the same reason....then when he was born, they named him Sam! (like the sheepdog )

Date: July 11, 2003 06:22AM

Which sheepdog, the mean one from Babe?

---

Date: July 11, 2003 06:31AM

nope, the one from Looney Toons...the one that the Coyote used to try to steal sheep from

Date: July 11, 2003 06:47AM

I only half remember him. The best Coyote bit I have seen is when he tries to throw a boomerang covered in glue.

---

Date: July 11, 2003 07:20AM

Oh Intrigue...you have SO much to learn about Looney Toons...(although, that is a good one)

When school is out for your summer, I think you should spend 2 full weeks just watching all of the really great OLD Looney Toons cartoons. It's actually a great history lesson and you wouldn't believe all the pop-culture items in there!

I love to watch classic movies and now everytime I watch Looney Toons, I catch new references and gags that I thought were funny before, but after I've seen the movie or learned what they're talking about, they're even more hilarious. Kind of like catching one of Jasper's jokes when you've gone back and read one of the books he's referenced.

I always thought if I had to do some sort of thesis on pop-culture that I would do a study of Looney Toons and how it is actually a valuable tool for learning history and historical viewpoints of the time.

Posted by: Simon (193.82.99.---)
Date: July 11, 2003 03:22PM

Re cats and dogs, and other pets_
When the infamous Lord Byron was still at university (at either Oxford or Cambridge, although I don't recall exactly which of those it was...) _ which may have been before he actually succeeded to that title _ he was rather annoyed by there being a rule against students keeping pet dogs or cats on the premises... So when a circus came to town he borrowed (hired, presumably) one of its elephants, rode this into his college's grounds, and challenged the authorities to show him a rule against doing so... :-)

"This was willed where what is willed... can get rather silly."

Post Edited (07-11-03 16:43)

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.