New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Where Would You Go...
Posted by: dante (---.internal.omneuk.com)
Date: July 16, 2003 11:11AM

The building I work in is actually a sort of conglomeration of buildings from various stages of the past couple of centuries, and somewhere in the middle there's a Rennie Mackintosh courtyard. It's nice, but it's hard to find (that might just be me) and it's a 10m square courtyard in the middle of a 4 storey building, so it doesn't get much sun...

:--

Do something pretty while you can...

Posted by: Intrigue (---.vic.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 16, 2003 12:04PM

The time machines in production will only send data, and only as far back the time they are first turned on - e.g: in 2030 you could send a message to yourself in 2006 or so. As soon as he turns it on, the inventor expects to be swamped with messages from the next week.

---
Those who forget the pasta are doomed to reheat it.

Posted by: Simon (---.westsussex.gov.uk)
Date: July 16, 2003 03:16PM

Mostly spam, in the form of advance adverts for products that will be on the market "soon", so that potential purchasers can place pre-orders and set money aside to pay for them? And scams about betting on future sporting events?

Warning! Product may contain N ewts!

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: July 16, 2003 06:16PM

I'd like to go back to near the end of the Third Age to see if Ents really did have knees.

(Sorry for remaining anonymous but as a newbie, I want to see if those I know who already frequent here can guess it's me...)

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 16, 2003 06:27PM

I don't know you, unless soemthing has gone tragically, tragically wrong...

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: Lycanthra Pod (---.dsl.pipex.com)
Date: July 16, 2003 06:35PM

Skiffle - Ive beein to Glasgow once, I made Trev go round all the CRM related buildings in the city except the School of Art which was shut at the time.
Dante - I'm not jelous, Glasgow is the most friendly place I've visited. Unfortunately it was only over night. My accent is broad Wiltshire and it was a bit difficult to make myself understood, I could have done with your subtitling skills. I belong to the CRM Society, hopefully, in the words of Arnie....... I'll be back.

Jon - curses, my evil plans to do a Dibbler has been spotted, mind you I'd like to see him with a time machine, rat-on-a-stick across the ages sounds good.

Posted by: kaz (139.134.58.---)
Date: July 17, 2003 12:56AM

PSD - something went tragically wrong the day you were born.

Posted by: Sarah (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 17, 2003 03:41PM

Welcome, Wizbit. You're not by any chance my sister, are you?

..........................................................................................

That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
(Llewelyn the dragon, Ozy and Millie)

Sarah

Posted by: Bluebottle (---.server.ntl.com)
Date: July 17, 2003 03:44PM

Whoever Wizbit is, I'd just like to say thank you to them for putting the theme tune from that show in my head.

Aargh!

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: July 17, 2003 11:14PM

"Ha-ha this-a-away, ha-ha that-a-away ... My oh my!"

<is slightly higher than 3ft tall and definitely not Sarah's, or anyone's, sister>

PS - Would also like to go to top of Everest circa June 1924 to shake Mallory and Irvine by the hand.

Date: July 17, 2003 11:26PM

Better off heading to the second step to grab them by the hand and drag them up it...

(I know - I like to think they made it too)

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: violentViolet (---.dip.t-dialin.net)
Date: July 17, 2003 11:58PM

...well I'd like to go back to 18th century and drink one or the other bottle of wine with Laurence Sterne.

Hope that doesn't sound to pseudo-intellectual, but I really adore him

Vio

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Colourless green ideas sleep furiously.

(N. Chomsky 1957)

Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 18, 2003 01:56AM

Perhaps the most practical use I would currently have for a time machine, is two pop back an hour or so, about this time every night. That way, I might get to bed at a more sensible hour.

Posted by: Intrigue (---.vic.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 18, 2003 10:21AM

What about meeting Alberto Santos-Dumont? He was to the Wright Brothers as Mallory and Irvine were to Hillary and Norgay. A while ago I had to do a project on a Notable person. I chose Alberto and because no-one knew of him, no-one could prove me wrong.

ViolentViolet - that name isn't from You Don't Know Me by David Klass, is it?

---
Those who forget the pasta are doomed to reheat it.

Date: July 18, 2003 10:14PM

Actually, Mallory and Irvine used a different route to Hillary and Norgay, who owed far more to previous Swiss expeditions.

PSD

==========

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.