New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Differences in Publications.
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 15, 2003 09:15PM

How different are the publications released in the U.K. and the U.S.? If there are differences, what are they?

Pamp47

Re: Differences in Publications.
Posted by: Magda (---.med.umich.edu)
Date: July 15, 2003 09:21PM

Most of the differences I'm aware of are simply things found in the upgrades page, which Jasper was able to get corrected in the American edition simply because it came out later.

The only major difference is the fans who have won the contest and get to meet Thursday and ask her a question in LIAGB. Jasper auctioned off the right to be the person in question, and auctioned it off to a new person for the US edition, so the people Cordelia is trying to get Thursday to meet are different, and the question they ask (and she answers) if different.

In the UK one, it's a chap called David Graham and his daughter Molly, and they ask how her father stops time. I'd have to double check who's in the US edition, but they ask who the father of Pickwick's egg is.

Oddly enough, the US audiotape version (which I have on CD) has the winner and question from the UK version rather than the US one.

--------------
"I've often said that the difference between British and American SF TV series is that the British ones have three-dimensional characters and cardboard spaceships, while the Americans do it the other way around."
--Ross Smith

Date: July 15, 2003 09:25PM

Thanks. That pretty much answers my question.

Pamp47

Posted by: Magda (---.med.umich.edu)
Date: July 15, 2003 09:32PM

Mind you, there may or may not be some spelling differences and such as well, but being a native American who reads a lot of British stuff as well, I wouldn't be apt to notice.

--------------
"I've often said that the difference between British and American SF TV series is that the British ones have three-dimensional characters and cardboard spaceships, while the Americans do it the other way around."
--Ross Smith

Date: July 15, 2003 09:35PM

Yeah, I'm the same way. In fact most of what I read is older British Literature.

Pamp47

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.