New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6
Please welcome my fellow Eyries
Posted by: Barbie (---.dip.t-dialin.net)
Date: July 16, 2003 09:49PM

Hello everyone!
To those who don't know, the "Eyries" are my fellow students taking part in our "Jane Eyre and after" class at Mainz University, a group of German English Studies students who have been blessed with the pleasure to read "The Eyre Affair" for uni. (Our tutor invented that nickname, and I quite like it)
Now, I'll be giving an oral report in two weeks on intertextuality, hybridity and reader interaction , and as an example of the latter, I intend to introduce the Fforum as well. Thus, I would like to ask you for a small contribution to give my fellow students a vague idea of how this works and what it means to you. No sense required. *g* Cheers!

Dear Eyries!
All I ask you to do is check this out, read what the others have to say about it, maybe participate in the discussion (it would be great if we could lift one off!) and hopefully have a good time resulting in returning soon. :-)
This is just meant to give you an impression and to get you involved in the interaction bit, plus then I don't have to explain too many things in front of the class... *chuckle*
Have fun reading and writing, and I'll see you next week!
Barbie

Never put a sock in a toaster!
E. Izzard

Re: Please welcome my fellow Eyries
Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 16, 2003 10:02PM

Ha! You won't get a discussion that stays on topic long enough to lift it off...

Why do I hang about the fforum? Mostly because it gives me somewhere with people who share a sense of humour, but also because I have no social life.

I'm not sure we 'discuss' anything. Well, sometimes we do. The link to the Thursday Next books is occasionally tenuous, but mostly absent altogether. Most of us have read all three books, but that's more a reason to discover this place rather than to keep coming back.

Mr Ff has been known to pop in whenever a question has arisen, and he reads it quite often. When he was writing the third book (I hope you've all done your homework and read it) he asked for some suggestions for a part of it, and we were happy to oblige. If you search around the site you'll find parts of it that have been provided by regualrs here, such as Jon's guides for non-Brits, and my guide to posting here.

Mr Ff is the type of author who likes to get feedback, and I suspect enjoys to see some of the parodies and jokes that accumulate here. He has been very helpful in the launching of a fanzine-type effort, Whatever Next, which is available at http://www.jasperffordeffanclub.com/.

If you really want to see hown this fforum works, leave a random comment in any thread that catches your eye. Then watch it blossom into another entirely different topic within 24 hours.

Anyways, enjoy....

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: splat21 (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 16, 2003 10:32PM

Yes, tonight's not really the time to be on here, because, apart from PSD, most of the long term regulars aren't here - they've gone to a book signing in Leeds by Jasper and then out on the raz (technical term - out for a meal!) afterwards... but stick around, or come back tomorrow and you'll meet some really nice and very funny people... you couldn't be in a batter place :)

_ _ _ _ _

If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur.

Posted by: kaz (139.134.58.---)
Date: July 17, 2003 01:12AM

'Batter place? Or should that be 'Batter Plaice'? (Sorry. Seem to have digressed onto fish puns already.)

Posted by: splat21 (213.38.32.---)
Date: July 17, 2003 10:44AM

<flounders> Never coult type - my sole intent was to hake them welcome

_ _ _ _ _

If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur.

Posted by: Tracy (---.hyperion.com)
Date: July 17, 2003 02:19PM

<groan> Please no more fish puns! I can't hake it anymore.

Oh, see now I'm doing it!

Blast!

Posted by: Big John (---.rit.reuters.com)
Date: July 17, 2003 02:33PM

Oh, for Cod's sake...

(I wouldn't make fish puns normhali, but...)

-----------------------------------------------
&quot;Whisky-wa-wa,&quot; I breathed - she was dressed as Biffo the Bear.

Posted by: Sarah (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 17, 2003 04:29PM

Eeep! What are you lot trying to do, scare all these students rigid? ;-)

Willkommen, anyway (I'm afraid that's about all the German I know, but at least it's appropriate). Enjoy yourselves, have fun, and don't take anything you read here too seriously. This is a wonderful place for getting to know intelligent friendly people who are a little crazy, and that's why I'm here. If there's anything you don't understand, don't worry - the chances are you won't be the only ones. Don't be afraid to ask if anything isn't clear, and, to reiterate what PSD said, don't worry about threads going off topic. It's not just allowed here, it's expected.

Oh, and if PSD insults you, just insult him back. Everyone else does! :-D

..........................................................................................

That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
(Llewelyn the dragon, Ozy and Millie)

Sarah

Date: July 17, 2003 07:47PM

Good point. I don't even like fish. Really.
I think it's about time I send my tutor the link, seeing that otherwise no one will actually come here... But hey, I'm totally organised, no worries. We'll be swamping this place in no time. Ahem.
*whistles*
So long and thanks
Barbie

E. Izzard

Date: July 18, 2003 07:07PM

Hey, Eyries, whenever you get here, don't forget to leave your mark and add something to our thread! I would like to have you interacting as well...

E. Izzard

Posted by: ilovespike (---.visp.co.nz)
Date: July 19, 2003 11:28AM

Hey Barbie, where in Germany do you hail from?

'Cause I've got some relations in Munchen...

from moi (for a change) :)

&quot;What I need is a strong drink and a peer-group.&quot; -Ford Prefect

Date: July 19, 2003 03:20PM

Hey Spikelover, I'm at Mainz University. That's quite a distance from Munich, somewhere south-west-ish of Frankfurt.
You're not German, though, or are you? :-)

E. Izzard

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.STTNWAHO.covad.net)
Date: July 19, 2003 05:58PM

Bits of me are German, though they've been recycled with the English, Dutch, and French so much over the last 225+ years that the only recognizable bit left is my last name (and an utter adoration of Hildegard, J.S. Bach, Schutz, Wagner, and Brahms). Oh, and I'm blond. :)

All this fishy shad is giving me a haddock.....

humilitas

PS Anyone else know the song "Wet Dream"? *giggle*

Posted by: ilovespike (---.visp.co.nz)
Date: July 19, 2003 09:42PM

Nope, I'm not German at all, although I've got a German uncle (by marriage) and I've recently got really really really cute half- German twin cousins.

from me :)

P.S No humilitas, and I don't think I want to.

&quot;What I need is a strong drink and a peer-group.&quot; -Ford Prefect

Posted by: Barbie (---.zdv.Uni-Mainz.DE)
Date: July 20, 2003 12:03PM

Neither do I... Weird songs you're listening to... "Little Fish Big Fish" is a bit more apropriate, I think. I forgot the band name, though.
Some lady.

I've no English relations at all, which is rather sad. But loads of Germans - surprise, surprise! *g*

E. Izzard

Date: July 20, 2003 12:32PM

I've got plenty of English relatives. You're not missing much...

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Date: July 20, 2003 04:19PM

*lol* am I not? Maybe you've got the wrong relatives? *g*

E. Izzard

Date: July 20, 2003 06:31PM

I know, I probably have. Unfortunately I've lost the receipt though...

PSD

==========

Date: July 20, 2003 07:02PM

Too bad. Maybe you can swap them for someone else's?

E. Izzard

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.STTNWAHO.covad.net)
Date: July 20, 2003 09:31PM

I imagine I'm one of your relatives, PSD, if you go back far enough! I know I've got what must be a 17th cousin or something like that who's a lord (I don't think he knows, or would care if he did). Maybe that doesn't help, though....

The mention of the song "Wet Dream" was not a nonsequitur, by the way; I can't think who the group is at the moment, but their other great song is "Life in the Slaw Lane" and both songs are punfests like you wouldn't believe: one about, well, marine life (hence the chorus "Think I had a wet dream/cruising down the Gulf Stream...") and one about veggies. Must be heard to be believed, but whenever I hear them I know somewhere in the world Alan F. G. Lewis is smiling.

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.