New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Pratchett Fans
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.STTNWAHO.covad.net)
Date: July 20, 2003 09:24PM

Thanks, Lycanthra!

I forgot to mention I also have a special fondness for Good Omens; I was fixated on Discworld....and even so I forgot to give Maskerade an honorable mention—being a singer and all, I had to appreciate that one!

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 20, 2003 09:39PM

Agree with AlisonS / Splat 21 in reverse order

Posted by: splat21 (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 20, 2003 10:28PM

Ah well, there have always been moments when I wasn't sure which way was up...

_ _ _ _ _

If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur.

Date: July 20, 2003 10:45PM

Mind boggles.

There's an episode of 'Steptoe and Son' where they have a piano upstairs, bring it downstairs, and then have to take it back again. Harold despairs, 'What comes down --- must go up!'

Posted by: splat21 (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 20, 2003 10:50PM

Um yeah. Wish I hadn't said that really! Ah well...

_ _ _ _ _

If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur.

Posted by: dante (---.internal.omneuk.com)
Date: July 21, 2003 07:06PM

I love Good Omens, and Maskerade, and Soul Music... but most of them, really. Haven't read Colour of Magic and Light Fantastic for a while, actually.

:--

Do something pretty while you can...

Date: July 21, 2003 07:13PM

Dante, have you seen the animated versions of 'Soul Music' and 'Wyrd Sisters' ? Nanny Ogg is much more like I think of her than she appears in the cover pictures of Pratchett's books.

Eleanor Bron does a fantastic Granny Weatherwax.

Posted by: dave (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 21, 2003 09:48PM

I like Pyramids. The idea that a camel is good at maths appeals to me. I've got a camel mug, which I call 'You B*****d'

Simple things...

Posted by: dante (---.internal.omneuk.com)
Date: July 21, 2003 10:18PM

Dave: Ah. I saw a couple of episodes of Wyrd Sisters when it was on TV, which was years ago...I think I recall liking Nanny Ogg, but wasn't too keen on Magrat. I have Soul Music on video, but have never watched it. (I have many videos like this, plus many books I haven't read, etc, etc)

I saw the stop motion version of Truckers the other week, it was *great*! So funny! Must re-read the books...

Date: July 21, 2003 10:39PM

Soul Music is really worth the viewing. Fantastic Welsh weakling, great dwarf, soul brother troll.

I find it easier to watch stuff in company, mind you; not the same viewing things again on your own.

Posted by: Jo (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: July 21, 2003 11:03PM

Insider knowledge - TP loved the cartoons, but got really p*ssed off with the way Channel 4 mucked about with the schedulling, and so banned them from making any more.

I drink to drown my sorrows. Unfortunately they've learnt how to swim.

Posted by: Bluebottle (---.server.ntl.com)
Date: July 21, 2003 11:15PM

Erm, twas Cosgrove Hall who made them.

<smugly looks at the original backgound painting used in Wyrd Sisters which is hanging on the wall>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 21, 2003 11:17PM

Oh yeah, I can just see Vetinari as a large green toad, with Leonardo of Quirm as a crow.

'Si, Vetinari!'

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: dante (---.thls.bbc.co.uk)
Date: July 22, 2003 08:39AM

Ah, that's who it was that made Truckers, too. Couldn't remember the name.

Posted by: Simon (193.82.99.---)
Date: July 22, 2003 12:18PM

I saw both of the cartoons when they were shown, in the early hours of the mornng, on two consecutive days (IIRC) a few Christmasses ago. They were preceded by a short '"Who is Terry Pratchett?" documentary, as an explanation for any viewers who actually hadn't heard of him before then: Do any of you remember seeing that? One of the fans interviewed for it (in a bookshop?) was an old friend of mine, by the name of Charlie Coombs, from the ex-UCL roleplaying group that I've mentioned in at least one earlier thread: He & his wife Fran, who also appeared briefly in that documentary, were the couple who said that they were thinking of calling their next child 'Eskarina' if it was a girl... (It wasn't, and they ended up giving it a totally non-'Discworld' name...)

Warning! Product may contain Newts!

Posted by: Dell (---.range81-152.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 22, 2003 05:08PM

I hate Small Gods, I never got past about page 90. & it took me about 3 weeks to get there, reading most nights. I haven't even looked at it since. If I can't get to the end of a book, & I don't give up easily, I don't ever try again.

I think Hogfather is one of my favourites, The Truth definitely is close to the top. Umm. I've read Hogfather in German too. V interesting comparing the two. & amusing too :) I like Mort as well.

Eric was the first book I read, then I started from the beginning. :) But stopped after TT. I don't have any plans to read further.

Posted by: robcraine (---.mcb.net)
Date: July 23, 2003 11:07PM

Fav TP: hmm.. Good Omens is.. um.. good. I really liked Night Watch... maybe Lords and Ladies...
First TP: The nomes trilogy, then Equal Rites, about 15 years ago
Insider knowledge: thingy.. the people who did Shrek... Dreamworks maybe?... are doing the nomes trilogy. Sadly they're a bit tied up doing sequals to Shrek so the prokect is slightly on the back burner. There's also a small, independant film group doing a totally non-profit film of Troll Bridge, a DW short story involving Cohen.

but shirley, all this belongs over there ---> in afp

rob

Posted by: kaz (139.134.57.---)
Date: July 24, 2003 01:01AM

I've never read any Terry Pratchet. *ducks to avoid missiles*

What should I start with?

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.STTNWAHO.covad.net)
Date: July 24, 2003 02:50AM

No idea how to answer that one. I started with The Light Fantastic and was hooked instantly (my bookstore didn't have The Colour of Magic, and at the time there were only two), if that helps.

Posted by: KT (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 24, 2003 08:16AM

A single copy of The Colour or Magic went around the Maths Institute at Warwick University in about a week. By the time I got to it, many of the post grads were quoting it in tutorials. The "wet copper armour" bit seemed to be the favourite.

EDIT - wrong book it was COM not LF

Post Edited (07-24-03 10:49)

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.