New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
How many Daves?
Posted by: Simon (193.82.99.---)
Date: July 22, 2003 01:06PM

Dave (not 'Rainbow') : Are you the same 'Davie Graham' who appears in the UK edition of LIAGB? (Please forgive me if, as I expect, this question has been asked & answered before...)

Re: How many Daves?
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 22, 2003 01:30PM

I wanted to know that too!

Posted by: ScarletBea (194.196.168.---)
Date: July 22, 2003 01:39PM

He's not.
I've asked too :D

He's very flattered though and feels lucky hehehe
right?
:D

Posted by: Sarah (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 22, 2003 01:50PM

Could the Dave who is Rainbow please come down and eat his curry before it gets cold?!

..........................................................................................

That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
(Llewelyn the dragon, Ozy and Millie)

Sarah

Posted by: Rob (---.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: July 22, 2003 01:52PM

He has a son Eddie rather than a daughter Molly which has lead to some confusion. Eddie's only two and finds these things tricky...

I think we've now convinced him that he's a boy. (He certainly knows how to punch.) Eddie that is. Dunno about Dave.

Posted by: Simon (193.82.99.---)
Date: July 22, 2003 02:41PM

I thought that they were probably separate people, given that detail, but making sure seemed like a good idea: The "other" David Graham was amongst the other attendees at Jasper's Brighton appearance, and we conversed briefly then, but as I didn't introduce myself to him I wondered afterwards (when I saw "our" Dave's surname again) whether I'd met another fforumite without either of us realising this...

Warning! Product may contain Newts!

Posted by: Rob (---.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: July 22, 2003 03:10PM

No. 'Our' Dave definitely lives up here. A Geordie by birth but living in Yorkshire. (We'll let him for a bit.)

Posted by: Ptolemy (217.205.174.---)
Date: July 22, 2003 03:29PM

In my world Davey Graham is a musican - and a profoundly influential one at that, with an entire generation of British players, from John Renbourn to Bert Jansch (and by extension, Nick Drake), following in his footsteps. His influence spilled across the Atlantic too, with Paul Simon playing Graham's song "Anji" (named after Angie Bowie) on 'The Sounds of Silence'. Davey Graham is arguably the best acoustic fingerstyle guitarist of all time - not one of those flashy virtuosi whose technique overrides all other concerns; he is a musician for whom nuance and musical aesthetic come first, with his prodigious skill on the guitar merely supporting the sounds he produces. He's also almost certifiably barking mad these days though, sadly (erm, none of this goes any further than this Fforum, right?!)

Posted by: dave (---.addleshaw-booth.co.uk)
Date: July 22, 2003 04:11PM

I don't think I've ever been referred to as 'Davey' either.

Sadly not me in LIAGB, but same name, so suitably happy. And have appeared in the credits of WOLP too, so am in two out of the three books! Wahay!

Eddie is often referred to as a girl though, no matter what clothes we put on him. He can be there in blue trousers and blue shirt and people still say 'isn't she pretty'.

He *is* cute though.

Posted by: Dell (---.range81-152.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 22, 2003 04:58PM

There are too many Daves. In general. I would have been a Dave, had I been a boy. But thankfully, I'm a girl, so that's one less Dave to be confused about :)

Posted by: dave (---.addleshaw-booth.co.uk)
Date: July 22, 2003 05:05PM

I was called fred at university. I shared a house with another Dave, and we had 3 mates called Dave. All 5 of us were in the kitchen at one point, when the phone rang. 'Call for Dave' they said.

I said 'oh, just call me Fred or something'. Luckily they decided on Fred rather than something... I'm sure half my uni friends don't know I'm actually called Dave...

Posted by: ScarletBea (194.196.168.---)
Date: July 22, 2003 05:09PM

Oh that's funny :)

I'm on the opposite side, any other girl called Beatriz is either over 80 or under 8...

I used to hate my name because it was so unusual, now I quite like it :)

Date: July 22, 2003 05:12PM

At school it was Matthew that was the most popular name. At one point, in 3 classes (which was only about 25 people) there were 5 matthews.

When I was younger it was Christopher that was more popular. In one class there were three Christophers, Christopher Robinson, Christopher Taylor 1 & Christopher Taylor 2.

I know a lot more Daves now than I used to. Including an Alex who is called Dave. & a Dave who isn't actually a person.

Posted by: Sarah (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 22, 2003 06:16PM

There were three Johns in my A-level physics group, and they used to confuse our lovely but very scatty teacher (another John!) by sitting together in lessons. In the end, he just gave up and addressed them collectively as "Johns".

..........................................................................................

That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
(Llewelyn the dragon, Ozy and Millie)

Sarah

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: July 22, 2003 06:27PM

my husband had a college professor named Jonathan C. Reed....that is also my husband's name.... The professor got confused when Jon went into his class and handed in his registrar's slip and asked if he was in the right class. (the slip had my husband's name, not the professors and the professor kept saying "why do you have this paper with my name on it..." LOL)

Posted by: Ptolemy (---.range217-44.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 22, 2003 06:33PM

My 50 year old step-mother in law's called Beatrix (with an x not a z though, ScarletBea), though she's universally known as Bunny - and even kinda looks like one too. Heh.

I'm sure I've read studies into popular names and the reasoning behind them - wasn't it on here someone was saying that soon there'd be a lot of Harrys and Hermionies coming through for instance?

My wife works in a nursery school and just out of interest I asked her what names are common amongst very young children at the moment. Apparently they have four girls called Holly (all Christmas birthdays!) and, strangely enough, three boys called Zak in the class right now.

Posted by: splat21 (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 22, 2003 06:36PM

Five years ago when I taught nursery children they were all Hannahs and um Harrys actually

_ _ _ _ _

If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur.

Date: July 22, 2003 07:02PM

oh yes, in my A level German class, there were three Lucys (one a Lucie). Two Louises (not counting us with Louise as a middle name). There was also an Adéle. I forget most of the others. Nevermind.

Kylie was a popular name around the mid 80s. Though, I don't know any kylies in my year.

Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 22, 2003 08:15PM

My A level Social Biology class - of about 12 pupils - had Gillian, Julie, Julia, Jonathon and John, plus, I think, Sarah and Sara.

When Mike O'Dowell joined Film Unit, we already had enough Mike's, so we asked him if he'd ever been known as anything else. He answered 'Stan', and that was that, for the next three years.

And I haven't the faintest idea what Squig, Hobbit, Fuzzy, Reg, and Brian are called by their parents. I do know that both Ven and Sherlock are really called Wendy (he he he )

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 22, 2003 08:20PM

My class had three bens, two of whom were Ben D Smiths, another Smith and four Daves.

Out of thirty.

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.