New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
need technical help
Posted by: Carla (---.dsl.pipex.com)
Date: July 22, 2003 11:04PM

we are trying to set up the router and it's nor working...

the computer works fine with just the modem...
when we plug in the router a light comes up saying it recognises the modem has an internet connection...
from the computer i can ping the router so my computer is seeing the router...

but we can't connect... it seems the problem is from the router to the modem... we tried all in the troubleshooting thing... i dunno what to do...

my housemate will ask one of her colleagues tomorrow, but if there are any tips any of you can help i-ll be grateful

thanks

Re: need technical help
Posted by: kaz (139.134.58.---)
Date: July 23, 2003 01:29AM

Take one large mallet, aim carefully and .......

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: July 23, 2003 04:06AM

you need to duplicate the identification your computer tells your modem...(the mac number) Your router software should have a way to "clone" that. Once that's set, then your modem will think it's you and you should be good to go. The cable/dsl companies do this because it keeps you from selling your connection or stealing someone else's.

Date: July 23, 2003 07:43AM

Thanks I'll pass this info on to my housemate

Date: July 23, 2003 02:31PM

Thank's Twila!
It worked!

Is there any book I can send you as a thank you?

(btw, can you email me your address again, I need it to post you the photos - probably not till next week)

EDIT: now i got an email from my housemate saying it might not work with all the computers plugged in blah blah blah... I think she resents the fact that i got it working and she is the one that works in IT...

Post Edited (07-23-03 16:19)

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: July 23, 2003 06:08PM

hehehe, you're welcome Carla...don't worry, we went through the same problem with our router...took us AGES to figure it out...

No thank you books are necessary but I'll definitely take the photos! I'll email my snailie later today.

Oh, and on the not all computers working thing, it should, as long as you set them to different internal IP addresses. Most of the time, your router will do that automatically, but you have to plug each one in one at a time.

Do you have a D-Link router?? These problems sound EVER so familiar!

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 23, 2003 06:28PM

UK broadband users, beware BT. They use non-standard protocols and are hell to deal with if you don't use their crummy free ADSL modem. Also, I still haven't found out how to cure the problems with e-mail as a result of their protocols, and use Hotmail to get round the trouble. If I hadn'd taken out a years minimum contract for business services, I would have dumped them long ago.

Posted by: Ptolemy (---.range217-44.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 23, 2003 06:40PM

Funny, isn't it? I was recommended BT Broadband by numerous unhappy Telewest customers locally who had changed over as a last resort and were comparatively pleased with the service - and from my point of view it's been fine. Perfectly happy here with my wireless network (3 PCs) and Webmail collected either via Direct Connection (my primary server), Netscape or occasionally Hotmail.

I'm not recommending them or anything, just saying that I personally haven't had any cause for complaint. Then again I haven't actually tried Teleworst either so for I know that might be fine as well....

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 23, 2003 07:10PM

Have you had problems with existing e-mail accounts? I have been using Breathe and Addr.Com (US) for yonks without any trouble, then as soon as you put a router, a modem and BT together, I get (randomly!) total failure to send e-mail. I have a friend who programs for HSBC and has a degree in Computer Science. He took ages to find a way to get the hardware to cope with BT protocols, and as for the e-mails, he still hasn't had the time for the other stuff. Pass me an aspirin.

Probably different firms are good for different hardware. Here, I've no cable firm to try, so BT were first on the list.

Posted by: Guy (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 23, 2003 07:39PM

I use BT openworld broadband, and I've ditched the 'free' usb modem in favour of an AMD 64 ethernet router with built in ADSL modem. It works a treat -- had it up and running with three different machines within 10 minutes of opening the box -- maybe using an integrated router and modem makes a difference?

Jesus saves; Buddha does incremental backup.

Posted by: Carla from another computer (---.zen.co.uk)
Date: July 23, 2003 09:04PM

I have a D-link modem and wireless card but a netgear router.

And we joined Pipex, we couldn't get telewest in the flat and BT was more expensive, worse and didn't give emails or webspace.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.