New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Cheese
Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 24, 2003 11:32PM

I can't find the topic that mentioned Sage Derby, but you can get it online:

[www.provender.net]
(The cornish Yarg is very nice, I must say)

Other sites include:
[ur]http://www.procterscheeses.com/[/url]
[www.mollington-cheese.co.uk]
[www.cheese-shop.co.uk]

Of course, the best bet for anyone looking at cheese may turn out to be [www.thecheeseweb.com].

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Re: Cheese
Posted by: Guy (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 24, 2003 11:58PM

Curiouser and curiouser

Provender is based in the village my parents live in (South Petherton, Somerset) and it's a real village shop. Tiny, but admittedly very well stocked.

And on the evidence of the web site, exporting west country delicacies all over the known universe. I'm impressed.

Jesus saves; Buddha does incremental backup.

Posted by: kaz (139.134.57.---)
Date: July 25, 2003 04:11AM

But what sort of tax are we talking about here, people?

Posted by: Simon (---.westsussex.gov.uk)
Date: July 25, 2003 11:15AM

H'mmm. Thanks for listing those addresses, PSD, I've just been looking at them and may indeed order some Sage Derby (and perhaps one or two other delicacies, too) from one or another of them soon. Unfortunately the 'Mollington' shop (which shows a make of Sage Derby looking much like the one that I most enjoyed in the past, which I'd probably prefer to the one offered by Provender) only sells it in multiples of (about) 8kg _ i.e. as complete "cheeses" _ rather in more practical amounts...

And 'cheese-shop.co.uk' also deals in multiples of kilogrammes, rather than smaller portions, for Sage Derby & many of the other cheeses that it stocks.

Kaz: It isn't as bad here as in the Nextian Earth, the only UK tax applicable would be the so-called 'Value Added Tax' (whch of course decreases the value of goods that you get for your money...) and that wouldn't apply for exports to countries outside of the [o]'Carolingian Federation'[/o] EU(gh) anyway. I don't know what extra taxes _ if any _ might apply at your end of the transaction ('Cheese Import Duty'?)... Are you actually allowed to import British cheese into Australia? According to one of those sites New Zealand bans all imports of dairy products....

Warning! Product may contain Newts!

Post Edited (07-26-03 16:46)

Posted by: KT (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 25, 2003 11:18AM

I think the cheese tax only applies if you are smuggling it out of Wales.

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 25, 2003 07:32PM

Simon - complete cheese rounds are surprisingly good value, actually - especially if you have a few friends who migt want some too - you just divide it up into portions and freeze those that you won't use too quickly.

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: splat21 (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 25, 2003 10:20PM

Yes cheese freezes beautifully and means you've always got it when you want it. Cheese and chocolate? I've got my heaven planned out - and then I'll go to hell, what d'you bet! lol!

_ _ _ _ _

If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur.

Posted by: dante (---.internal.omneuk.com)
Date: July 25, 2003 11:49PM

But if you go to hell you get toasted cheese. Yay!

:--

Do something pretty while you can...

Posted by: einalem (---.xtra.co.nz)
Date: July 25, 2003 11:49PM

We do get some Danish Cheese in NZ, I've bought it. Maybe we have enough of our own to want to import much of it.?

Posted by: Bluebottle (---.server.ntl.com)
Date: July 25, 2003 11:57PM

I think most hard cheeses are OK. However, cheese doesn't like me. It's in good company, along with caffeine, other dairy products and alcohol.

This is annoying as my favourite tipple is Irish Coffee.

Posted by: Carla (---.dsl.pipex.com)
Date: July 26, 2003 08:19AM

Bluebottle, I'm suposed to redduce caffeine, dairy and alcohol as well...

I manage well with caffeine and alcohol, but I ignire the dairy advice... I need my cereal... (but i do cut down the times I eat cheese)

Posted by: Simon (---.westsussex.gov.uk)
Date: July 26, 2003 03:49PM

Thanks for the suggestion. Freezing the "surplus" for later consumption hadn't occurred to me, for some reason: I don't have much freezer space (shared flat, shared freezer...) but that would probably be manageable... especially if I get 2kg from 'cheese-shop' rather than 8kg from Provender.

Warning! Product may contain Newts!

Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 29, 2003 12:33AM

Shared freezer ! By 'eck, lad, I only wish I had a freezer. There's a small freezer compartment in my fridge, which seems to serve mostly as a breeding ground for thick white ice. I had to hack it back the other day, as it had grown over the top of the compartment door, and I couldn't get it open.

Posted by: kaz (144.139.77.---)
Date: July 29, 2003 02:05AM

So many Monty Python jokes, so little time .....

Date: July 30, 2003 02:26AM

I got a big box of stuff from Lakeland today, including a bottle of stuff to squirt on freezers to defrost them. Must try that out soon. Also got an adapta-tap thingie, which screws onto the mixer tap of the kitchen sink. It swivels, so I can aim it at all corners of the sink (and probably right over the cooker, if I'm not careful), and I can adjust it to an aerated stream, or a fine spray. It's black and chrome and looks dead hi-tech, and I keep playing with it :)

I've also got a telescopic broom, with rubber bristles which are really good for picking up cat hair - it's bright blue and yellow !

And if anyone needs some heavy-duty packing/plain wrapping paper, I've got a couple of dozen sheets now.

Posted by: Nicky (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: July 30, 2003 05:17AM

That broom sounds pretty cool, skiffle.

Date: July 30, 2003 07:13PM

Well I don't have my yellow, red and green toaster any more; my new one is dark green with matt metal touches. I do have a yellow microwave and a bright yellow kitchen bin. My kitchen was painted dark blue until recently, so the yellow and blue broom would have fitted in perfectly. However, when my flat was repainted recently, my landlord bought a job-lot of @#$%& cream paint, so every last wall in the place is cream. Virtually all the woodwork is bright white, apart from the elaborate banisters, which are still varnished dark brown. The decorator told me he had left them because he thought they looked nice that way (even though he painted over the matching wooden edging opposite). I think he left them because the balustrades are damn fiddly things to paint.

Date: July 31, 2003 02:02AM

The Toast Marketing Board would probably be very happy to hear about the new toaster. My apartment's all in cream, too.

Date: July 31, 2003 11:45PM

Nicky: Do you like it ? I feel like I'm living in a block of vanilla ice-cream. I prefer things to be a bit more cosy.

Date: July 31, 2003 11:48PM

I just add a whole lot of colors in the decoration. Except for the bathroom--that's pretty much all in cream and white.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.