New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Dogs and dinner
Posted by: kaz (139.134.57.---)
Date: August 06, 2003 07:20AM

Could be worse. He could be a bassett hound called Flash. Shades of bad 80's TV programmes.....

Posted by: Jo (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 06, 2003 09:25AM

My brother's mate lives in London and went to the local KFCesque shop for a takeaway meal. After examining the bone that he found and deciding it probably wasn't chicken, he, being a good vet student took it along to the lab and determined what it actually was - cat.
Scarily, he still eats there!

I don't generally do dogs - have had too many experiences of small yappy things (the dogs opposite are let out at 6.30 am and bark. All day.) I have a belief that the only real dogs are those that can put their front paws on your shoulders whilst still touching the floor. Everything else is glorified rat...

I drink to drown my sorrows. Unfortunately they've learnt how to swim.

Posted by: violentViolet (---.dip.t-dialin.net)
Date: August 06, 2003 02:10PM

...I think this comment is very offensive towards rats.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Colourless green ideas sleep furiously.

(N. Chomsky 1957)

Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: August 06, 2003 10:47PM

I agree. I rather like domestic rats; I have a friend who keeps them. Small, yappy dogs, on the other hand, are pointless. If you want a pet the size of a cat, why not get a cat ? You don't have to take it for walks every day.

Date: August 06, 2003 10:49PM

I agree. I rather like domestic rats; I have a friend who keeps them. Small, yappy dogs, on the other hand, are pointless. If you want a pet the size of a cat, why not get a cat ? You don't have to take it for walks every day, for one thing.

Posted by: Sarah (on holiday) (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: August 07, 2003 10:38AM

Oh, yes, domestic rats are really cute, and quite intelligent too. I don't normally go for little rodenty things, but I like rabbits and I like rats.

I earned considerable Brownie points with some of the local kids for liking the rat one of them brought round to the door, rather than going "eeeew!". Just as well kids don't normally keep pet toads, isn't it?

Posted by: Holly Daze (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 07, 2003 10:43AM

Our household is currently sans pets, I have two young boys and I feel that the mess and smell wouldn't be good for an animal.

Posted by: dante (---.mh.bbc.co.uk)
Date: August 07, 2003 12:33PM

I like domestic rats - I used to have mice (er, in a cage, not just running about in the kitchen...), and they're remarkably intelligent too. And cute.

:--

Do something pretty while you can...

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: August 07, 2003 03:33PM

Hamsters. Stink, but a very good introduction to stock breeding and the laws of genetics. They have so many offspring you can deduce laws of heredity in a year. Getting homes for the offspring is the hardest part. They can breed almost before you can sex them (was it 14 or 16 days - I forget). Hold an infant hamster between thumb and forefinger, and they cannot help but wee.

Two females in the same cage, death no save. Two males, um, sorry to get in your way, old chap. Won't speak of the other permutations ---

Never give then a jam jar for a latrine - I read of the idea, and practise showed it to be dreadful. They will use the thing, but either they fall in or it rolls with them in it. Euw --

Posted by: Simon (---.westsussex.gov.uk)
Date: August 07, 2003 03:44PM

Re the breeding of hamsters _
All of the pet hamsters on this entire world are descended from just one single litter (or might that even have been "one pregnant female"?) which somebody chanced to find.

"God rot Botchkamos Istochnik!"

Date: August 07, 2003 03:51PM

So I've heard, and I can well believe it.

Date: August 08, 2003 12:30AM

Two females in the same cage - death no save : Dave, you're giving your age away there !

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: August 08, 2003 12:45AM

ya, how many of us actually got that reference...

<---- holds up hand ---->

everyone break out your d20 and roll to see who gets the dead hamsters' items....

Posted by: Simon (---.westsussex.gov.uk)
Date: August 08, 2003 02:35PM

<---- holds up hand ---->

Is anybody searching the sides of the cage for secret doors? :-)

"God rot Botchkamos Istochnik!"

Date: August 08, 2003 04:31PM

I'm not sure I'd like the hamsters items!

I took the matter seriously and tried to provide the female with supplements during pregnancy; mostly powdered milk. By the time she had had two litters ( 9 and 7 - if you can manage to have names for as many as that you're doing well) she looked like a four-legged brick. But Hammy still fancied her ---

Posted by: violentViolet (---.dip.t-dialin.net)
Date: August 08, 2003 05:02PM

...well if hamsters' work the same way as rats do, aesthetics are not really important for the female hamster/rat to be fancied by her buck.

I had a pack of 6 rat bucks (at the same time, all in all there were 8) and they didn't care whether it was another buck, a remote control, a mobile phone, my hand or whatever, as long as they were able to climb on, they went for it. I never put them together with females though, as there are too many rats still looking for a home that it would make sense to breed them.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Colourless green ideas sleep furiously.

(N. Chomsky 1957)

Date: August 08, 2003 07:49PM

Since we have lowered the tone to the gutter, I'll risk breaking any rules I don't know of and say, 'there are circumstances in which you could use a female hamster to hammer in nails', by which I hope those that should not know of such things will not, and those that should know of such things, may respond as they wish.

Posted by: Dell (212.32.44.---)
Date: August 08, 2003 09:39PM

Jo, you'd like Kaiser if you like big dogs

Kaiser is a blue dobermann, he's 8.5st & when on back legs, he's as tall as his 6ft6 daddy.

He's my baby, only a little puppy. He's wonderful :)

I think I'm the only person who calls him little though *grin*

Date: August 08, 2003 09:56PM

He's most impressive, and his personality is a credit to all associated with him. If he were in any way bad tempered, he would be an awesome thing to encounter. As it is, he just licks your head clean off as he passes you by sitting on the sofa - from above!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.