New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Outdoor Swimming
Posted by: Auntysassy (---.webport.bt.net)
Date: August 04, 2003 08:06PM

I've had to spend the day in London today and it was hot.

So I've been swimming in the local outdoor pool and it was heavenly! They have adult only nights Mon, Wed, Thurs and Fri from 6.30pm - 7.30pm so you can actually swim without having to avoid uncontrolled brats or show-offs. They open April to September 7 days a week and have been having a good season. There are so few outdoor pools left in the country so our local one is usually quite busy.

I haven't been swimming for a couple of years but managed a good 25 minutes of steady swimming tonight - quite proud of myself although also ashamed as I was once school backstroke champion (24 years ago!)

Going again on Wednesday.

Post Edited (08-04-03 21:13)

Re: Outdoor Swimming
Posted by: Sarah B (---.cable.ubr06.dudl.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: August 04, 2003 08:09PM

Well done!

I went swimming tonight too, but inside. Too many brats outside.

And it's / before the b. Just so you know.

--------------

There's a hole in my creativity bucket and it's all leaked out.

Posted by: Auntysassy (---.webport.bt.net)
Date: August 04, 2003 08:13PM

Oops - realised after I'd posted but when I tried to amend it, I couldn't.

Sorry for being stupid - too much water up the nose!

Date: August 04, 2003 08:14PM

No probs. Blame it on the heat - I do!

--------------

Posted by: kaz (139.134.58.---)
Date: August 05, 2003 12:48AM

What constitutes 'Hot' to you Poms? Down Under anything over 35 is hot. Here in my little state of Tasmania anything over 30 is getting a bit too warm, and for my own personal opinion, anyting over 25 is too hot. But what's the British equivalent?

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: August 05, 2003 12:50AM

I think that's good. But the humidity is everything.

Posted by: Jen (---.sympatico.ca)
Date: August 05, 2003 02:49AM

Try living in Canada. It has to get above 35 before it's hot, and below -35 before it's cold. Dress in layers, is my advice. Or plan on moving, like I am.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: August 05, 2003 02:51AM

I didn't realize you were a Tazzy, Kazzy :) Cool. I hear it's really beautiful there.

Date: August 05, 2003 08:01AM

Thank you so much for that nice little nickname there, AAC. Tazzy Kazzy. I can really see that catching on.

Yes, it is beautiful here. But of course I am biased in the opinion. I lived in Sydney for 6 months and hated every minute of it. The worst was the fact that there are so many places in Sydeny where you can't see any trees. In Hobart, right in the heart of the city, you can still see trees in the bush up on the hills around you. Tasmania only has a population of around 450,000. Syndey has more than 8 times that amount. Melbourne isn't much better. We have the least crime rate in the country, but also the least employment. However, there are still many many jobs in the Jobs columns of the newspapers, so they are out there.

Man, I love my state!

Posted by: Ptolemy (217.205.174.---)
Date: August 05, 2003 08:18AM

Kaz, reference your posting about what constitutes "hot" to us "poms" - the foreast today is for 36 degrees here in the Swindon area. That's hot even by your standards, right?

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: August 05, 2003 08:39AM

Aww, come on Ptolly, you'd LOVE it here in the summer!! We usually average around 85-90% humidity and about 35C/95F which puts the heat index up well over 40C/104F. Absolutely OPPRESSIVE! and we regularly get the afternoon monsoonal thunderstorm that makes the pavement steam.

You do realize that they built Washinton DC on reclaimed swamp-land, don't you??

This year hasn't been *too* bad, but whew, there have definitely been days!

Don't believe me? Ask slightcap! Sarah will tell ya!

Posted by: Carla (198.179.227.---)
Date: August 05, 2003 09:10AM

HOT is BAD

i don't mind 26 / 27, because in London this feels more oppressive than 33 in Lisbon.

Posted by: adam (195.8.190.---)
Date: August 05, 2003 10:06AM

I heard they built Washington there so that the politicians would all go home in the summer because of the heat/humidity.

Date: August 05, 2003 11:29AM

Hot is anything over about 12 degrees around here...

Actually no, I'm kidding. But it's supposed to 38 here by the end of the week - and that is HOT!

--------------

Date: August 05, 2003 11:51PM

Yeah that's hot by our standards. How long does the heat last for? We get four warm months (20-25) and at least two stinking hot months (25-35). How about you lot?

Posted by: Ptolemy (---.range81-152.btcentralplus.com)
Date: August 06, 2003 12:00AM

About a week, but believe me we make a LOT of fuss about it!

Believe it or not the trains have stopped running in parts of the country because they claim the "lines are warping in the heat". Last Autumn we had "leaves on the line" (yeah? So?) - I believe we once had "the wrong sort of snow" as well. Madness, I tell you!

Posted by: dave (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: August 06, 2003 12:03AM

ah, this is the wrong sort of sun, clearly.

:)

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: August 06, 2003 12:12AM

I'm confused by this whole rail thing. They can't run in this weather. So, what? They're vampire trains and can't go out in the sun or something?

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: Ptolemy (---.range81-152.btcentralplus.com)
Date: August 06, 2003 12:15AM

LOL actually mate I think they're Virgin trains, so you mightn't be that far from the truth at that!!

Isn't it something to do with the metal lines expanding, pushing against one another end-on-end and buckling though? In which case why don't they conversely shrink in very cold weather and the trains fall down the gaps between them? Or perhaps they do. I dunno.

Date: August 06, 2003 01:09AM

Trains run okay over here regardless of the weather. What's British Rails problem?

Wait....

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.