New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Employment
Posted by: kaz (139.134.57.---)
Date: August 06, 2003 07:14AM

Their own words?

Posted by: ilovespike (---.visp.co.nz)
Date: August 06, 2003 07:21AM

Boring intermediate student with non-existent social life, or any other type of life. :|

Posted by: Jo (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 06, 2003 09:21AM

As of Monday I will be an Office Administrator with a government agency. Plus I'm still hoping one of these days to get paid for a short story...

I drink to drown my sorrows. Unfortunately they've learnt how to swim.

Posted by: Sarah (on holiday) (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: August 06, 2003 11:54AM

Assistant online knicker-seller and devoted human member of staff to four cats, who I very much hope have not decided to go looking for me...

Posted by: Ptolemy (217.205.174.---)
Date: August 06, 2003 11:57AM

Sarah! Hello! Has the Lake District dried up completely in the heat yet?!

Don't like to worry you further but can you also do a head count on your ducks there? I seem to have gained one since you've been gone....

Posted by: Sarah (on holiday) (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: August 06, 2003 12:19PM

No, it'll take a lot of drought for the Lake District to dry up! I think I'm in the best place I could be in this kind of weather.

Ptolemy Duck is still here, safe and sound. Yours have obviously simply bred. Fancy you not noticing the egg!

Date: August 06, 2003 12:52PM

Glad to hear it, honey!

Actually it was a false alarm, so you can rest easy now. Turned out the bath-sponge had sunk, that's all. With one corner sticking out of the bubbly bathwater like the stricken stern of the Titanic silhouetted against the final deadly iceberg, it was all too easy to mistake it for the tail of a duck.. and yet I could see Cuthbert* still bobbing happily around down by my toes....

* the duck - for the benefit of Holly ;-)

Post Edited (08-06-03 17:18)

-----------------------------------------------------------

* I'm backing the campaign to get the official Stalker for 2007 evicted *

Posted by: Holly Daze (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 06, 2003 04:10PM

Gulp...! So Cuthbert was bobbing around by your toes.... and whats the name of the duck again? Oh, Im putting my imagination back in the box marked caution!

Posted by: Auntysassy (193.132.206.---)
Date: August 06, 2003 04:35PM

I've been told that I'll get the sack if I walk out because of the hot weather and no airconditioning (98 degrees in the office at this moment and that's with all the fans going full blast all day and the blinds drawn) - tempted to try it out.................

Posted by: Guy (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: August 06, 2003 04:42PM

Graphic designer, editor, writer, web programmer (yes I'm self employed and I'll do nearly anything anyone's prepared to pay me for)

Jesus saves; Buddha does incremental backup.

Posted by: Simon (---.westsussex.gov.uk)
Date: August 06, 2003 05:40PM

Auntysassy _
I know that there's a minimum temperature below which people with [most types of] indoors jobs can legally be required to stay at work, but suspect that the rarity of really high temperatures in Britain means that no legal maximum has ever been defined.

"God rot Botchkamos Istochnik!"

Posted by: dante (---.internal.omneuk.com)
Date: August 06, 2003 06:39PM

I thought there was a maximum temparature...I seem to remember a flatmate getting sent home once. But apparently I'm wrong, according to various websites.

The WHO reckons it should be 24 degrees centrigrade. Let's all go home! (Well, I'm at home, but you know what I mean....)

:--

Do something pretty while you can...

Posted by: Intrigue (---.vic.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 06, 2003 10:30PM

Isn't it around 45C?

---
Those who forget the pasta are doomed to reheat it.

Posted by: kaz (139.134.58.---)
Date: August 06, 2003 11:29PM

You lot were mentioned on our news last night. Apparantly the 'heatwave' is so bad that there's talk of sending outdoor council workers home when the temp hits 30. The newsreader had trouble keeping a straight face.

Well, I'm sorry, but 30 just isn't hot enough to send ANYONE home!

Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: August 06, 2003 11:39PM

What do starving writers in garrets eat ? Most things, if someone else has prepared it for them.

I cannot eat anything with curry, paprika, chilli or more than the slightest touch of mustard, pepper or ginger. I seem to be unusually sensitive to heat-producing spices, and they simply burn my mouth. I can't even eat more than a couple of ginger biscuits before my mouth is stinging.

Care packages of biscuits and sweeties welcome :)

Posted by: Intrigue (---.vic.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 07, 2003 11:17AM

30 degrees?

I'm struggling not to laugh as well! Poor, fragile Brits...

---
Those who forget the pasta are doomed to reheat it.

Date: August 07, 2003 12:02PM

It's a good news story, but that's all. It was reported with tongue firmly in cheek over here as well. You're maybe forgetting that this is Ground Zero in terms of self-deprecating irony.

Posted by: splat21 (213.38.32.---)
Date: August 10, 2003 10:03AM

Yep we love the heat (but atm i'm almost looking forward to going to work to keep cool and as I'm a legal proof reader (poss the most boring job in the history of the universe) that's seriously ironic...) - also a freelance editor/ex Montessori teacher/definitely not domestic goddess/foster mum to various cats whose permanent staff have temporarily left the building.

_ _ _ _ _

If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur.

Posted by: ScarletBea (---.telepac.pt)
Date: August 10, 2003 11:10AM

Finance controller or Cost Accounting Manager, for a pharmaceutical plant, multinational company
(yes, the reason I travel so much hehe)

translation: I work for part of a global capitalist conspiracy

(erm, this last bit was added by my gf ;))

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.range217-44.btcentralplus.com)
Date: August 10, 2003 01:24PM

My job description is "Clerical Officer", which means clerk/typist. It was changed a couple of years ago to make us feel more important. Didn't really work...

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.