New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Summer in the City
Posted by: Barbie (---.dip.t-dialin.net)
Date: August 06, 2003 11:42AM

It might be a bore, but I just felt the need for a weather-thread. I know it won't last long, still I had to mention it - it's way to hot in Europe!!

Germany's melting, if it gets any hotter (40°Celsius already), it surely will shrink in size. *ponders* Maybe we'll end up an island in the middle of Europe... sort of.

Why does it never rain on us these days?

Never put a sock in a toaster!
E. Izzard

Re: Summer in the City
Posted by: Holly Daze (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 06, 2003 11:46AM

Its Ptolemy's fault, he's so busy messing with his new forum toy he forgot to sort out the weather. And don't get him started on the benefits of a good downpour...

Actually we have mist here this morning, or maybe its a heat haze, due to being near the sea I think. There'll be a lot of disappointed sun worshippers on the beach I fear.

Posted by: Ptolemy (217.205.174.---)
Date: August 06, 2003 11:55AM

Actually that's not true, I've been engaging in lengthy discussions about the weather over on the Outdoor Swimming thread (only here could "outdoor swimming" turn into a weather related discussion!)

It'll be sunny later though Holly so don't fret!

(obscure pun alert: another word for a sea-mist is a "fret" - just in case someone thinks that was a slip of the tongue...)

(oh and Holly - behave!)

Posted by: einalem (---.xtra.co.nz)
Date: August 06, 2003 12:18PM

ptols - are you firewalled again?

Date: August 06, 2003 12:47PM

Yeah, sorry Mel - for another 3 hours or so anyway :(

Posted by: Tracy (---.hyperion.com)
Date: August 06, 2003 01:38PM

My deepest sympathies to all of you melting in Europe.

To continue in the weather vein: We are having the usual August, hazy, hot and humid here on the East Coast. Followed each afternoon by the required thunderstorm creating a sauna on every street. Promptly followed by road flooding.

Don't ya just love summer....

Posted by: dante (---.mh.bbc.co.uk)
Date: August 06, 2003 01:46PM

We got the thunderstorms last night too. Well, I say thunderstorm - it was about five peals of thunder/ lightning strikes, followed by three minutes of medium rain and a 30-second downpour. Not exactly causing floods, put it that way. Doesn't seem to have cleared the air, either.

:--

Do something pretty while you can...

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: August 06, 2003 02:30PM

Regards from man in flat roofed office, roof coated with black tar, South facing window.

Date: August 06, 2003 02:34PM

By the time Sarah comes back from holiday, Dave Rainbow will simply be a puddle on the floor.

Date: August 06, 2003 02:37PM

But I'll STILL be handing out virtual marshmallows.

Hey, maybe if I melt I'll become virtual, then I can send myself to the ladies of the chat room like the man with the milk tray that all the ladies love ---

(Is this advert known outside the UK?)

Date: August 06, 2003 02:40PM

Hey Dave come join the chatroom!! I want a marshmallow.

Posted by: SLIGHTCAP (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: August 06, 2003 02:40PM

Don't know of him, but a virtual Dave would be lovely!!!

Date: August 06, 2003 02:48PM

Oooooooh ---

Sorry, all you 8:)3<= , I'm saving myself for later. I haven't done any proper work yet, and your delightful company would keep me from doing any more today.

I have a problem; I must be out of Sarah's by ten p.m. (except when I am cat sitting - and Chomsky will not move from the settee even if he IS sat on!), and all my computers are needed at 'the office', a wholly insignificant spare bedroom in Sarah's house from where I prepare my 'plaster man' (that's a master plan to ayone else!). I'm looking into a further computer so as to retire this one. Then I will move it back to my place and can get into the chat room from my bedroom. But not quite yet. And the time difference is such a nuisance in the meanwhile.

Lol and a randomly coloured marshmallow (virtuelle) each by the power of broadband.

Date: August 06, 2003 02:54PM

Thank you for the marshmallow Dave.

Proper work? Oh is that what I'm supposed to be doing?

Date: August 06, 2003 02:56PM

Have a break and do some improper work instead, Tracy!

Still waiting for my marshmallow :(

Date: August 06, 2003 03:00PM

Ptolemy - Ha I do that all the time!

Right now having a lovely chat with Vi and a newcomer to the fforum.

Posted by: SLIGHTCAP (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: August 06, 2003 03:01PM

Thanks for the marschmallow Dave!!!. Only two more weeks of vacation and onw will be spent in Atlanta(bleeeech).

Posted by: Nicky (206.166.29.---)
Date: August 06, 2003 03:18PM

Plaster man, Dave? What does he do? (might belong on another thread, and please keep in mind that plaster means an entirely different thing over here).

Hmm, virtual man with chocolate...sounds delightful. Will the chocs be melty too? (I like them that way.)

Incidentally, for all you heat sufferers, I would like to point out that they finally got the airconditioning in my office under control. Yesterday I had to wear a sweater (cardigan) and run the heater to keep my fingers from getting frostbitten. :)

Date: August 06, 2003 03:23PM

Spoonerism for 'master plan'.

You like chocolate melty?

Date: August 06, 2003 03:28PM

I know it's hot and all over there on your side of the pond but really now!(See website below)

[www.msnbc.com]

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.