New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Summer in the City
Posted by: dave (---.addleshaw-booth.co.uk)
Date: August 06, 2003 03:39PM

melty chocolate is Wrong. Chocolate should be served ice-cold, preferably no lower than 70% cocoa too. 80% if you can get it, ta.

:-)

Posted by: Jo (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 06, 2003 03:44PM

Thinking of melty chocolate, I love the chocolate sauce for icecreams that freezes into a hard shell as soon as it gets cold. Absolute heaven!

I drink to drown my sorrows. Unfortunately they've learnt how to swim.

Posted by: Nicky (206.166.29.---)
Date: August 06, 2003 03:47PM

I got the spoonerism when you explained it the first time, DaveR. (It's not a plan for world domination, is it?) I just thought Plaster Man was perfect for the superhero thread.

And, yes, melty chocolates are divine. Freezing it takes all the flavor out of it. Besides, how are we going to cover Kaz in frozen chocolate when we throw her to the aliens?

Post Edited (08-06-03 16:50)

Date: August 06, 2003 03:49PM

ha! plaster man would be cool. He could go round sticking baddies down with elastoplasts...

Date: August 06, 2003 03:52PM

Here he'd have to be some sort of super construction worker, alas. Not nearly as fun.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: August 06, 2003 03:54PM

Throw Kaz to the aliens? I think I've missed something.

Posted by: Ptolemy (217.205.174.---)
Date: August 06, 2003 04:15PM

Wouldn't they simply welcome her as one of their own anyway though?

Sgd, Ptolly (who's later tonight going to be making a bid for the role of plastered-man)

Posted by: Guy (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: August 06, 2003 04:18PM

I'm for cold chocolate myself -- straight out of the fridge. Part of the joy is the flavour slowly exploding (if that's possible) in your mouth as your body heat warms it up.

Dave -- have you tried the Lindt Excellence 85% variety? Absolute heaven -- they have it in Sainsbury's usually, if there's one near you. And you definitely have to keep that in the fridge, as it melts if you so much as look at it (not enough sugar in it to hold it together, I guess).

Jesus saves; Buddha does incremental backup.

Date: August 06, 2003 04:55PM

I've tried and thoroughly enjoyed the Lindt stuff. Very nice it is too. Kate got me some organic 82% stuff recently, which was superb.

Mmmm. dark chocolate.

Posted by: Sarah B (---.cable.ubr06.dudl.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: August 06, 2003 06:33PM

Mmm, melted chocolate....

Oh, damn you all. I'm still on my diet - melted chocolate is so not something I should be thinking of!

--------------

There's a hole in my creativity bucket and it's all leaked out.

Posted by: Barbie (---.dip.t-dialin.net)
Date: August 06, 2003 08:17PM

Eew, chocolate... The last thing I'd want in this weather and generally. Unless it's Cadbury's, I could be persuaded with a Caramel bar, I suppose... *g* Straight from the fridge *yum* But where would you get that in Germany? :-(

Concerning rain or thunderstorms, I've nearly forgotten what they are, actually. To do the greenery out there any good, we need more than a thunderstorm, 3 weeks of constant drizzle would be more like it... *sigh*

Never put a sock in a toaster!
E. Izzard

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: August 06, 2003 08:46PM

that's okay guys, last night, Slightcap and I had a big tornado warning. Afternoon thunderstorms spawned some nasty rotation. I evacuated to the basement with my cats, Slightcap stayed in her apartment...and the storms were closer to her. Silly girl! :)

We don't get a lot of tornado warnings this late in summer...they usually come in late Spring/early summer. I take the warnings seriously now. Especially since we had an F5 (the highest amount of possible damage) that passed directly over our house. The updraft was INSANE. The trees all turned silver because their leaves were all being sucked upwards so all you saw was the undersides of the leaves. The tornado went over our house then across the Potomac river and finally touched down in Waldorf, Maryland. Did a major wipe out job on their downtown. So since then I've taken it very seriously!

We normally get some majorly nasty afternoon thunderstorms here in the summer. As the moisture comes up from the Gulf of Mexico and hits the jet stream it combines into a nice humid soup which then hits the Appalachian mountains. And as soon as that humidity hits the Appalachians and rises it hits our wall of heat and combines for some afternoon cells that can be absolutely violent. And it gets very monsoonal, really. The humidity here can be positively oppressive in the summer so the thunderstorms don't even cool us down like they would in other places. They just leave more humidity. You know it's hot when you have to worry about afternoon fog because all the rain on the pavement is making steam!

Boy, that was a lovely tourist advertisement for the Washington DC Metropolitan area, wasn't it?? LOL

Posted by: SLIGHTCAP (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: August 06, 2003 11:15PM

In my defense... There really isn't anywhere for me TO go. I could go down underneath the stairs, but that is where people keep their bikes; no room for people. I don't know when the tornado AAC is talking about happenend (probably before i got here) but if I REALLY feel threatend, i suppose i could MOVE the bikes. If I had heard the train whistles, i would have moved and pretty quickly, and then worried later. And, as there are two trees in front of my apartment, I suppose i should be more worried than I was. :-)

Date: August 06, 2003 11:16PM

slightcap, you could always seek shelter in the gutter.

Posted by: kaz (139.134.58.---)
Date: August 06, 2003 11:20PM

Ptolemy - I thought you were my friend. That's the sort of comment I'd expect PSD to make, not you. You're nice. At least I thought you were.

Date: August 06, 2003 11:20PM

I was in the gutter. But, since you banned the use of umbrellas, i had to get out.

Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: August 06, 2003 11:21PM

See, this is one of the reasons I'm glad I'm from England. No earthquakes to speak of, no mud slides, no volcanos, only the occasional, small tornado. We do seem to have been doing quite well on the flooding front in recent years and we have a good drought once every decade or so. We do have fires on heaths, but nothing on the scale of the forest fires in other parts of the world.
Quite pleasently dull, really.

Date: August 06, 2003 11:25PM

sc, I'll see about getting you a permit.

Date: August 06, 2003 11:27PM

Thanks. I would appreciate that.

Posted by: Ptolemy (---.range81-152.btcentralplus.com)
Date: August 06, 2003 11:41PM

Oh Kaz I'm sooooo sorry! I'd say sorry over and over and truly grovel if I were allowed to repeat myself which I'm not so I won't though believe me if I would if I could - I blame the voices, they put me up to it *oh no we didn't* yes you did you evil little gremlins *quick, get him!!*

Oh, hello again nurse. Is it bedtime again already?

Well, good night then zzzzzzzzzzzzzz z z z z

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.