New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Wasps
Posted by: Tracy (---.hyperion.com)
Date: August 07, 2003 04:23PM

Ooh, like cream cakes.

On the smelly candle idea, incense will also work. Actually, almost anything with a spicy not sweet smell will keep the evil things away.

Posted by: KT (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: August 07, 2003 04:43PM

Smellies are a great idea, but can't be used near cream - it 'absorbs' the smell and annoys the customers.

Posted by: Nicky (206.166.29.---)
Date: August 07, 2003 04:44PM

Yeah, we don't want any stinky cream cakes, Tracy! ;-)

Posted by: Tracy (---.hyperion.com)
Date: August 07, 2003 04:47PM

Good point. Stinky cream cakes would not be a good thing. No wasps though!

Date: August 07, 2003 04:50PM

KT, have you considered just leaving the wasps in and charging more for the extra protein?

Post Edited (08-07-03 17:52)

Posted by: KT (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: August 07, 2003 04:50PM

Can't even wear perfume in the factory.

Mmmmm "Crunchy Wasp Suprise"

Post Edited (08-07-03 17:56)

Date: August 07, 2003 04:54PM

Erm, sorry KT, just realized I've been getting your name wrong for the last few posts. <Note to self: sign up for remedial reading lessons in the gutter.>

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: August 07, 2003 05:37PM

Anyone remember 'Crunchy frog'? 'Rams bladder cup'? 'Spring surprise'? (Python)

Posted by: Simon (---.westsussex.gov.uk)
Date: August 07, 2003 06:03PM

Shouldn't a Ghurka regiment's chaplain have been a Hindu, or maybe a Buddhist?

"God rot Botchkamos Istochnik!"

Posted by: violentViolet (---.dip.t-dialin.net)
Date: August 07, 2003 06:39PM

Hmm, the Gurkha regiments are an integral part of the British army. GB is, as far as i know - still a Christian nation, I mean the Queen is still the head of the Anglican church, and I haven't heard about the state and the church having been severed (or am I wrong there?), therefore I think it's normal for them supplying a Christian chaplain. I don't know whether there are additional Hindhu priests or something, but I would really wonder, when there was no Christian one.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Colourless green ideas sleep furiously.

(N. Chomsky 1957)

Posted by: Ptolemy (---.range81-152.btcentralplus.com)
Date: August 07, 2003 07:07PM

Cheers VV. Spot on, as ever. The guy was actually a Catholic, but had a basic grounding in Hindu, Buddism and whatever else he needed to get by - enough to cater to the various needs of the regiment anyway. The point is they adored him - didn't really matter which religion he favoured.

Anyway, these cream cakes. Do you get free samples? What do we have to do to get ourselves onto your mailing list? !

Posted by: Magda (---.subnet-25.med.umich.edu)
Date: August 07, 2003 07:24PM

I have a friend who uses plastic 2 liter pop bottles to make traps for yellow jackets (a type of wasp). Just cut off the top, invert top and insert into bottom, and put a bit of sugar water, coke, or whatever else they like in the bottom. They are attracted, fly in, can't get out, and eventually die. No poison involved, and nothing stinks. And they're @#$%& enough to replace that you can just throw them out wasps and all when they get too full. She hangs hers in a tree.

Just checked google, and here's a link with direction and illustrations, for that an at least one other kind of wasp trap.

[www.pestcontrolcanada.com]

--------------
&quot;I've often said that the difference between British and American SF TV series is that the British ones have three-dimensional characters and cardboard spaceships, while the Americans do it the other way around.&quot;
--Ross Smith

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: August 07, 2003 10:03PM

You can also buy really neat glass bottles that do exactly the same job, with a handy stopper so you can pur the wasps out too. Works a treat in our garden.

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: August 07, 2003 10:16PM

the problem with using a wasp trap that uses sweet stuff is that there's so much other sweet stuff around the factory. You really think they'll be all that attracted??

Oh, another thing you could do is bring in some high velocity fans and point them up at the ceiling. Wasps don't fly on very windy days and this might at least keep them at bay until the weather cools down a bit. Plus it might make the workplace a little more bearable.

Posted by: Dell (---.range81-152.btcentralplus.com)
Date: August 07, 2003 10:28PM

we've recently put up a bead curtain into our conservatory and cut down on all flying things by about 90%

the 10% is when one of the beady strands gets caught up and makes a bigger gap

I have to pull one aside for them to see the way out too

well worth the cost

(oh and this isn't dell, my log in changed after my last post fior some reason - anyone know why? - and I'm too tired now to sort it)

Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: August 07, 2003 11:31PM

If you're not Dell, who are you ?

A friend's grandfather would catch wasps between his fingers as they flew past. Now that's a party trick !

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: August 07, 2003 11:41PM

Hot stuff. Lindsay Hassett, a bygone Aussie cricketer, was said to be able to strike a match on a falling matchbox. I tried it for a while, and managed it once.

Posted by: Andrea (---.range81-152.btcentralplus.com)
Date: August 08, 2003 06:53AM

it was me whio wasn't Dell

I was too tired to even remember that bit
:-)

---
Sylvester says.... *plock*

actually he says peep, cheep, chirrup, squalk,muttermuttergrumblegrumble, oh and now he falls off his pirch whish is followed by a sheepish peek round to see if anyone was looking and a quick scramble back up

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: August 09, 2003 12:37AM

This thread remind s me of a coment I saw today: The current war on terror is like using a fridge to hunt a wasp.

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: splat21 (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: August 09, 2003 08:26PM

Um why would I know about wasps Dave R?

All we used to do was the honey in a jam jar trick with water in the bottom... it does work (but think that's a reprise of the jam one mentioned earlier)

_ _ _ _ _

If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.