New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Haworth House trip
Posted by: kaz (139.134.58.---)
Date: August 12, 2003 09:52AM

I've just bothered to look at this item in WN (sorry 'bout that) and I have to say that Eddie looks absolutely gorgeous, Dave looks like a proud Dad, Rob looks like a proud godfather, and PSD, for Heavens Sake, man! Get a tan! Or go to a chemist and get some fake tan or something! Jeepers. Your skin is whiter than your clothing. It's quite frightening.

Re: Haworth House trip
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: August 12, 2003 09:58AM

Well, at least when he's old PSD won't look like those wrinkled crocodiles that you Aussies try to pass off as men!

Posted by: Intrigue (---.vic.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 12, 2003 11:07AM

That reminds me, I meant to post a picture of myself in my profile, like I promised TMH.

---
Those who forget the pasta are doomed to reheat it.

Posted by: Sarah (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: August 12, 2003 06:12PM

To be fair, Kaz, and much as I hate to spoil your enjoyment of your favourite sport of PSD-baiting, I haven't got a tan either. I am very fair-skinned and burn at the slightest provocation.

What I have got, however, is a fleet (is that the word?) of very elegant sun hats. :-)

..........................................................................................

That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
(Llewelyn the dragon, Ozy and Millie)

Sarah

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: August 12, 2003 06:16PM

I can live with the taunting - I fail to tan despite using no sun cream and going outside all year round. I don't burn either, fortunately....

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Date: August 13, 2003 12:14AM

I don't care if everyone else is lily white. If PSD is that white I'm gonna have a go at him!

And crocodiles can be very attractive, Twila.

Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: August 13, 2003 12:32AM

I'm not a great fan of getting a tan, but my arms have turned a light golden colour this year. Some of the colour is actual tan, the rest is all those tiny, light-coloured freckles that are in hibernation most of the time, and only come out when it's really hot. I have an anti-freckle on my left forearm which is showing up well now. It's a tiny patch of absolutely white skin. I don't think it's an ancient scar, I think it's just a bit that's lacking any pigment.

Date: August 13, 2003 12:54AM

I have one of those on my back, about the size of a twenty cent piece. I was told once they can be dangerous regards skin cancer. ther's somethng to look forward to....

Date: August 13, 2003 12:58AM

My white patch is barely the size of a grain of rice. And at least if yours is on your back, it should be fairly easy to keep covered.

Date: August 13, 2003 12:58AM

Skiffle, get into the chat room . whaT are you doing girl?

Date: August 13, 2003 01:28AM

Reading the other threads on the fforum !

Posted by: dave (---.addleshaw-booth.co.uk)
Date: August 13, 2003 09:13AM

kaz: You're pretty much spot on, on all accounts.

My aim is to get all my freckles to join up, thereby giving myself a tan. *g*

Date: August 13, 2003 11:40AM

That's always been my sister's aim inlife too. She still hasn't succeeded.

Posted by: splat21 (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: August 13, 2003 06:29PM

I did once when I went skiiing in Carrbridge - never since (and I was 11 then!)

_ _ _ _ _

If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: August 13, 2003 07:19PM

Thankfully, I've stopped getting freckles for the most part. I had a LOT as a kid. The thing is that now it seems I have no sun protection built into my skin. Even with SPF-50 I can be outside for about 15 minutes before I start to burn.

Let me put it this way...on our car ride of 8 hours from South Carolina back to Virginia, I wore SPF-50 AND had makeup on AND rode inside of a van with tinted and UV protected windows and I still burned the side of my face!

My husband's company is having their summer picnic at an amusement park called King's Dominion. Other than the walking around, which would be difficult for me, there is 1 HUGE reason not to go...I'll get massively sunburned! Even with hats and long clothes (which are really too warm to wear this time of year!) I still tend to burn. I get it from the reflected light too. And it's worse on humid days of course! UGH. SO my hubby is going to take his brother instead of me. They'll have fun at least!

How I ever played semi-pro beach volleyball is beyond me! Of course I wore hats and long sleeve t-shirts and reapplied sunscreen between every game (not match, but game!). But I do think I had more natural pigment protection then. I wonder if there's a dietary supplement that would help!

Oh the joys of being a quasi-ginger girl!

Posted by: Simon (---.westsussex.gov.uk)
Date: August 14, 2003 12:17PM

I tended to burn rather than tan when I was younger, but the situation seems to have improved somewhat in recent years although I still don't tend to get very tanned... My hair was a lot fairer back then that it is now (having gone from white-blond when I was an infant, through a more normal blond in my later childhood & adolescence, to light brown in my 20s & medium brown in my 30s before the addition of grey hairs started effectively lightening it again...) and I suspect that my skin's ability to produce extra melanin when stimulated by prolonged exposure to sunlight has increased along with the increased melanin levels in my hair.
Mind you, when I last tried to grow a beard some of the bristles that developed were distinctly reddish in hue...

"God rot Botchkamos Istochnik!"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.