New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516Next
Current Page: 14 of 16
Re: Dr Who
Posted by: robcraine (---.mcb.net)
Date: April 28, 2007 08:04PM

We already know what happens. He realises that Sek was right, goes on to create a race of genetically engineered super-humans and appears in the Star Trek episode "Space Seed" before taking a staring role in STII: The Wrath of Khan.

Now... halfway through the episode I *thought* we were going to get a new race of Time Lords... that would have been interesting...

Rob

------
That statement is either so deep it would take a lifetime to fully comprehend every particle of its meaning, or it is a load of absolute tosh. Which is it, I wonder?
Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Posted by: 198505 (---.cable.ubr04.pres.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: April 28, 2007 08:05PM

wareing a really stupid fake chest piece as well

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blood! Death! War! Rumpy pumpy! Triumph!

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: April 29, 2007 07:48AM

Not one of the best.

Hopefully RTD and crew will give the Daleks a rest for a while.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

My computer beat me at chess, but I won at kickboxing

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (---.static.dsl.dodo.com.au)
Date: April 30, 2007 12:42PM

<SLAP>

Posted by: LeonardQuirm (---.dur.ac.uk)
Date: May 22, 2007 08:12PM

Anyone else think this last week's episode (42) was actually really good? While a bit scientifically flawed (just a tad!), and I wasn't too taken by the actress playing the captain - never seemed in charge enough to be convincing - it was a really fun, energetic and entertaining plot, I felt. Not to mention that Martha, and her family, are continually proving themselves to be far less annoying that the previous bunch, and of course (VERY VAGUE SPOILER UP AHEAD) the mysterious Mr Saxon being further mentioned...

Posted by: xmorpheus (193.95.170.---)
Date: May 23, 2007 09:13AM

It was interesting - I find it a bit distracting that they're using all these people that used to be in Casualty and Eastenders.

I wind up running for IMDB halfway through the episode because I know I recognise someone vaguely but I can't place them!

I'm not enjoying this season as much as I thought I would. Part of the problem is lack of character development. At the moment, there's no "running" storyline (well give or take this Saxon thing that's just showed up) and it's not really possible to develop the characters in the little storylines that they've had.

They're really belabouring the "oh poor lonely doctor" thing and he's overdoing the "I run the universe" speeches a little.

I'm liking Martha a lot more than Rose - at least she seems to have a spine. Bit short on the brains at the moment, which is odd for a student doctor, but what can you do. The main problem with Dr. Who AND Torchwood has been that the majority of writers are male and just don't seem to be able to write 3 dimensional female characters :s

I'm very intrigued by next week's storyline though...... ;)

Posted by: xmorpheus (193.95.170.---)
Date: May 23, 2007 09:18AM

robcraine Wrote:

>
> Now... halfway through the episode I *thought* we
> were going to get a new race of Time Lords... that
> would have been interesting...
>
> Rob

I'm not a rabid Who person - I don't know if anyone else here is.

Does anyone have a rational explanation as to why he can't go back BEFORE the time wars and grab either a few time lords/lordettes or get some genetic samples and clone some new ones?

I know he can't change things on his own timeline - but if you go back BEFORE something was extinct and get some samples to make new ones in your own time, would that not work?

So really he's the last of the Time Lords because he thinks it makes him cool, tortured and interesting - he could make himself a new race any time he wanted?

Or am I just being cynical? :p

Posted by: Barefoot Andy (195.188.86.---)
Date: May 23, 2007 11:14AM

He can't go back to the time before the Time Wars, as it no longer exists as a period in time. And, if by some flangey method he gets there, it'd be full of daleks killing Timelords.

As I understand, (and there may be better people to get this) the time war involved two sides going back in time to mess around with each others history, to stop them existing in the first place. Followed by those who were under assault stopping the other side from stopping them existing, then stopping the other group existing, going back in time until either of them existed, getting confused about the paradox that they're still there, getting headaches, deciding sod it, petitioning the scriptwriters, bombing each other instead, realising that none of them exist and rapidly trying to find loopholes in the paradox so that they make sense.

Essentially he can't go back because not only do the Timelords not exist, but due to the Timewar, they never existed. Or something like that

Date: May 23, 2007 12:30PM

He can't go back in time because I have already seen the earlier episodes and David Tennant wasn't in them.............

I must say that although I like Freema, she is developing into a screamy, rescuey, runny assistant rather than a strong character.

I was vaguely dissatisfied with "42", (sorry Leonard) and am finding the off-earth storylines a bit samey. I liked the nods to Douglas Adams in "42" and would have preferred a few more. I just felt that I had seen it all before.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (---.static.dsl.dodo.com.au)
Date: May 24, 2007 12:12PM

I seem to recall that Ramana would be around somewhere after running off to be the goddess queen of the lion blokes... Maybe there *is* a new race mucking about with time?

Am I going crazy, or have I seen ads for Torchwood on Ten while ABC has Dr Who? (any other aussies seen this?)

Posted by: Mrs Next (---.bradford.gov.uk)
Date: May 24, 2007 04:03PM

The Face of Boo, before he died a few episodes back, mentioned that Dr Who was not alone - perhaps the mysterious Saxon is more than he seems.......

Date: May 26, 2007 06:10PM

Rather liked 42, and would mention Games Workshops C'Tan if I thought anyone would know what the heck I was on about for the star.

I think Barefoot Andy covers the Timewar well.

I think this Mr Saxon may just be a man but with access to alien tec, a PLC Torchwood maybe?

Posted by: robcraine (---.mcb.net)
Date: May 27, 2007 08:14PM

Well... I understand Jack is popping back in later in the series, so there may well be a Torchwood connection...

Rob

------
That statement is either so deep it would take a lifetime to fully comprehend every particle of its meaning, or it is a load of absolute tosh. Which is it, I wonder?
Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Date: June 10, 2007 08:42AM

Don't blink!

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.bethere.co.uk)
Date: June 10, 2007 04:24PM

Those of us who have explored London of late (I have just been acquainting myself with the place) will have seen the large and bronze and naked gentlemen standing atop many much of the buildings. Having also recently discovered this mysterious doctor of whom you speak (I am only recently arrived in this country from far away), I am most thoroughly affeared that this bronze chaps are an alien army waiting to be conjured to life by some signal from a nearby alien spacecraft.

You have been warned. Be en garde...

Date: June 10, 2007 11:59PM

Got my 8 year old worked up, and me at 1-00am this morning

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: June 11, 2007 07:22AM

.....but a good enough reason to go and punch out those stupid "living statue" mime artist/beggars?

Date: June 12, 2007 02:02AM

Oh, you mean you need a reason?

oops, if any one askes I was here all day saturday, okay? ;~)

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 11, 2007 06:37PM

ok, new to forum. have to put me 2p in- loved tom baker best older pt of series- he's also brilliant in monarch of the glen (my other fave) as donald. check out his IMDB comments- he's a funny bloke in his own right. love him even more.

he came here quite a long time ago and a friend met him by accident and said he was quite nice.

now, my new fave is david tennant. he's got same of the same charm and humor as tom baker and goggles his eyes nicely.

freema is doing pretty well, but hubby liked the pissy bride better.

dr. who is best, in my opinion, when it's a little cheesy and played with a nudge and a wink. the science is dreadful- almost nothing is even close to accurate. but it IS dr. who, after all, not a documentary. most of the other docs from the past are too cranky and serious. come on, people, it's not shakespearian high drama! it's campy ridiculous.

futurama rocks. one of the funniest things i ever saw. has anyone seen the new simpsons movie? it was terrific. i do hope the futurama movies mentioned come to fruition.

got an autograph from douglas adams in one of his books but i just took a look at it & i'm buggered if i know what it says.

just got biography by nick webb about him. one of the funniest minds ever. really sucks that he's gone. hope he's giggling with jim henson somewhere.

Posted by: Mooxico (---.240.239.147.Dial1.Phoenix1.Level3.net)
Date: August 11, 2007 07:03PM

Hi ssamoa! Welcome!
Would you like some coffee, tea, iced tea, or emergenc vitamin c drink?
I'm sure someone else will be along soon to offer you pie or Battenberg.
<mutters out of side of mouth: "Take the pie! The pie!">

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516Next
Current Page: 14 of 16

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.