New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Off I Go Then
Posted by: robert (---.syd.ops.aspac.uu.net)
Date: May 18, 2007 05:12AM

Kaz and Kitten have both taken my simile ("Tasmanians have tight, round little heads like crab apples") and requoted it as a metaphor (" ~ crab apple heads"). The simile is quite accurate as similes go, but the metaphor fails to catch the image (and is aesthetically quite awkward).

As far as New South Welshpersons go: NSW beer affects the gut rather than the face and we have disproportionately large beer bellies which we enjoy propping up on counters, supermarket trollies, etc. There is one exception, which causes catastrophic damage to the face, creating large runnels and billowing sagging. When I was a lad, it was common practice for mothers to cross their children to the other side of the street to avoid particular people (spotted from some distance) coming the other way. A murmured "Resch's drinker!" and a slight shiver up the spine was enough comment for us kids to understand.

Re: Off I Go Then
Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (---.static.dsl.dodo.com.au)
Date: May 20, 2007 01:14PM

Really? I find the idea of crab apple heads (especially ones with pinchers and that move sideways) really quite appealing...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2007 01:15PM by Bonzai Kitten.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.