New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Turtle Sticks Neck Out...
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.241.12.130.Dial1.SanDiego1.Level3.net)
Date: May 24, 2007 09:46AM

California ffandom checking in... many San Diego Public Library employees and patrons are waiting with bated breath for the July U.S. release of 'First Among Sequels'. This terrapin-fixated library employee is also waiting patiently for 'The Last Great Tortoise Race', which has perhaps become stuck in a Chelonian Time-Dilation Field-- the covert application of which allowed one Z. Noe Paraducks, Tortoise, to race and beat every single rabbit in 'Watership Down' over a straight twenty furlongs on grass.

I am currently reading 'Something Rotten', and I have yet to read 'The Fourth Bear', so at present, I am avoiding spoilers like the plague.

And now I'll just pull my head back in and pop back inside my shelly, shall I?

Re: Turtle Sticks Neck Out...
Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (---.static.dsl.dodo.com.au)
Date: May 24, 2007 12:35PM

You can only do that if you're inviting everyone else in there too!

Greetings from one of the people who doesn't bite! Welcome to the fforum. Someone will probably be about with pies and cake in a moment. It seems somewhat difficult to stop it happening.

Posted by: Barefoot Andy (195.188.86.---)
Date: May 24, 2007 01:53PM

Hmmm, are pies and cake suitable for a tortoise? I'd have thought that they might get stuck in the shell. Of course "Shelly" might refer to something else, maybe there is a lady named Shelly, although I boggle at how one might pop back into Shelly.

And we'll not spoil anything for you except to point out that it was his Sled, which was made out of people by the butler.

-------
Turn the silliness to eleven!

Posted by: PrinzHilde (---.dip0.t-ipconnect.de)
Date: May 24, 2007 03:27PM

I am sure that a certain pie-enthusiast will point out that there in fact is a salad pie, and it is marked with the letter 'S' on top to distinguish it from the sweet and savoury ones.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.241.220.193.Dial1.SanDiego1.Level3.net)
Date: May 24, 2007 08:14PM

Mmmmm! A Dandelion-Borage-Nasturtium Pie would be delightful, as would one fruit and one veggie, so I'll take an 'S', 'S' and 'S', please! So sweetly subtle.

Also I wouldn't mind extra desert, as long as it's not plocking marshmallows.

Oh, and before it slips through the Word Sieve masquerading as my brain, of course you are all invited in for a sub-Shell house party! It's like the Tardis in here-- I've got 10 bedrooms, 18-and-a-half baths, a tiger-maple panelled library, swimming pool, wet bar (with Mango-Milkthistle Shooters for the Chelonians among you), and an observatory with a 100-inch telescope. I even have a garden with a maze you could park a Minotaur in...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2007 08:26PM by TortoiseOfTheD'Urbervilles.

Posted by: nemades (---.dsl.in-addr.zen.co.uk)
Date: May 24, 2007 08:57PM

Welcome! Thanks for the invite to the Shelldom, I will bring a bottle of dandelion wine and some chocolate fudge cake with ice cream!

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.241.12.145.Dial1.SanDiego1.Level3.net)
Date: May 24, 2007 10:14PM

Thanks, nemades! The wine, fudge cake and ice cream will go nicely with the rest of the menu: Buttercup-swirl-dip-and-chips, Summer Squash and Rose-petal Casserole (with walnuts), and a Watermelon Surprize. I will also be serving raw saltmarsh periwinkle snails, but unless one is a Diamondback Terrapin, they are an aquired taste. I probably should whip up a platter of deviled Faberge eggs so that everyone won't feel obliged to crunch periwinkle shells. They can be a mite risky to crack unless one has been blessed with a tough keratin beak...

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (---.static.dsl.dodo.com.au)
Date: May 25, 2007 09:26AM

I'll bring the polish pure spirit. It's not quite as 'hippy-food-shop' as borage nasturtium and dandelion pie, but if you shove it in a blender with some ice and a few pixies, it's awfully good stuff...

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: May 25, 2007 02:01PM

Welcome TortoiseOfTheD'Urbervilles! Sorry for the lateness of the pie tray. I took mrs. SkidMarks to Southport for the day (I even brought her back!).

Certainly, just for you, the salad pie will be labelled with a big pastry "S".

(For those interested, the book haul was 10, including the eight-volume set of "Dumas on Crime")

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

My computer beat me at chess, but I won at kickboxing

Posted by: aria (---.allegromicro.com)
Date: May 25, 2007 05:03PM

Welcome TortoiseOfTheD'Urbervilles!

I'm willing to sample anything you wish to serve. The rose-petal casserol sounds marvelous! I see someone already thought to bring the wine, but personally, I think you can never have too much of the stuff at a party (like Battenburg). Since you invited the fforum... there's no telling how may will show up!

Posted by: nemades (---.dsl.in-addr.zen.co.uk)
Date: May 25, 2007 09:48PM

okay, decided that it is too long since my last fix so just spirited in some Irn Bru - tis made with gurders you know!

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.241.12.54.Dial1.SanDiego1.Level3.net)
Date: May 26, 2007 02:10AM

Thank goodness somebody remembered some slices of Battenburg! I would have never lived it down if I had forgotten that...

Posted by: mrs SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: May 26, 2007 11:47AM

Welcome TortoiseOfTheD'Urbervilles. I'll add a potato layer cake to the table, it's veggie if you avoid the bottom layer and the green top layer is pesto not a sign of intelligence emerging.
Found a wonderful second hand bookshop in Southport, didn't notice any Ffordes but can't think anyone would put them out once they had them.

Posted by: MartinB (155.232.128.---)
Date: May 29, 2007 01:51PM

Shell we dance?

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.