New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Finally, a book I can plug with a bit of pride
Posted by: Chris (---.upc-d.chello.nl)
Date: July 19, 2007 07:23PM

Hey, sorry to bump incidentally, but if anyone orders the book and has a problem receiving it within a couple weeks, please let me know. I think I have all the Amazon problems cleared up, but it never hurts to make absolutely sure. (Well, unless one makes absolutely sure by hurting an Amazon employee, but regrettably, none live nearby.)

Good grief, man, it's always something with Amazon...I wonder how the big distributors handle all the little problems. There must be entire departments at publishing houses called Amazon Jigsaw Puzzling.

Posted by: Jazz_Sue (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: August 23, 2007 04:54PM

FFinally, I'm back! Thanks for that - I'll let you know when there's enough to be worth posting (already I can see faults with the narrative, but I'm ploughing on anyway)

Posted by: Jazz_Sue (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: August 23, 2007 05:01PM

That didn't work, did it? I forgot to clip out the thing I was replying to. I think it was on page 2 ...
Blame the hormones.

Posted by: Chris (---.ccc.de)
Date: August 23, 2007 06:06PM

We get the gist, anyway -- we soon get to read more nifty Sue prose. "Cool," as we say in America!

"Faults" already? Young lady, yours is not the place to judge your own narrative during this most fun of all writing phases, the letting-the-stuff-out-to-begin-with phase. I gently suggest not being paranoid about an invisible reader peering over your shoulder; keep the channel open and let your forum friends shower you with compliments when it's done.

(Well, unless it sucks.)

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.131.---)
Date: August 24, 2007 10:50AM

"Cool", you say... So that's the new expression is it? I must remember that.

I do like to try and stay abreast of popular culture.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2007 10:51AM by Bonzai Kitten.

Posted by: Barefoot Andy (195.188.86.---)
Date: August 24, 2007 10:54AM

"Cool" is the new "Spiffing", B.K.

Date: August 24, 2007 11:21AM

Is it? Jolly go... er, I mean, "Cool"

Gosh, I quite like that one!

Posted by: OC Not (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: August 24, 2007 11:33AM

I prefer 'cool' to 'far out', myself...

Date: August 24, 2007 02:15PM

Oh and by the way, if anyone on this fforum has actually used the word "spiffing" any time in the last 72 hours, you owe me a pound.

Date: August 24, 2007 02:39PM

S'blood, you charge even more than I do! You could buy a country pub over here for that sort of money.

Date: August 24, 2007 03:09PM

I'm in the mortgage business. We are greedy evil losers that are branching out these days and bringing down the market on a global scale, instead of just locally. We have to charge lots of money for that.

Posted by: PrinzHilde (---.dip0.t-ipconnect.de)
Date: August 24, 2007 03:59PM

Wel, the last time "spiffing" was discussed around here it was in cunjunction with a complaint about "two kilos of coins which amounted to about a dollar fifty". That should make it possible to pay off one pound for no more than 38 cents.

And it was ten months ago, so nothing's owed, anyway.

Posted by: Chris (---.ip.secureserver.net)
Date: August 24, 2007 05:24PM

Well, then, it's certainly a relief to hear that we haven't also arrogantly exported the thing called "interest."

Posted by: OC Not (68.121.255.---)
Date: August 24, 2007 05:33PM

Cool

Posted by: Shakespeare (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: August 24, 2007 06:02PM

I never imagined fiction written with the idea of using improvisation. Though William Burroughs "cut-up" style might approach it.

I'm a jazz musician and a reader. I read everything from trash to classics, and I listen and play many types of music, lots of jazz, plus punk, funk, rock, classical, reggae .... everything except rap and CW.

I've also read many jazz biographies. My favorite music bios, are Straight Life by Art Pepper (though I'm not a huge fan of his music), Triumph of the Underdog by Charles Mingus, Space is the Place about Sun Ra, Miles, and Zappa.

I've got to quote Frank Zappa here, "Writing about music is like dancing about architecture."

***You think the jazz music scene is tough in the UK? Try making a career of it in Los Angeles.

Posted by: OC Not (68.121.255.---)
Date: August 24, 2007 06:17PM

Is St. Mark's still around? Great little jazz club right off Venice beach. The 'Pinky Carruthers' band from Buckaroo Banzai used to play there... I don't even know what they were really called. It was quite a few years ago, though.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.132.---)
Date: August 25, 2007 03:19AM

heehee, I never thought of William Burroughs as being quite so Fluxus... Maybe I'll like him better than I thought I did...

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.ru.ac.za)
Date: August 25, 2007 12:23PM

Frigid.^H^H^H^H^H^H^HCool.

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Posted by: Shakespeare (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: August 26, 2007 02:52AM

St. Marks? Never heard of it.

Catalina's is still happening, though in a new place on Sunset, The Jazz Bakery in Culver City, and Steamers in Fullerton. Sometimes you'll hear an occasional jazz combo for the dinner crowd at an upscale restaurant..... Cafe 322 in Sierra Madre for instance.

Cutting edge jazz is mostly found in New York and Europe.

My little group landed a gig in a steakhouse in Long Beach. We were fired the first night. Too weird, too loud. Definitley NOT background music.

"Sorry, our customers don't want to be challenged. Don't you guys know Girl From Ipanema?"

Date: August 29, 2007 07:18AM

Does your little group have some music that we can listen to? Inquiring minds want to know...

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.