New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
It's here!
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.pool.einsundeins.de)
Date: June 27, 2007 08:34PM

*is excited*
Ok, long story: on Monday (as on every day, really) I checked amazon.de (the GERMAN site!!!) for "First among sequels", and it actually said that it was available within 24 hours. As I've known for as long as it's been announced that the actual launch is on July 5th, I assumed that it was a mistake made by some poor amazon guy, and that if I ordered on the spot, they would tell me that what they actually meant was "pre-order" or they would send me a copy of another Next-novel. But what the hell, I thought it was worth a shot - AND TODAY IT ACTUALLY ARRIVED!!!! IT'S LYING HERE ON MY TABLE IN KARLSTEIN, BAVARIA, GERMANY!!!!!
So, now tell me that all of you already have it and that I'm making a big fuss about nothing :-).
Greetings,
Jo

Re: It's here!
Posted by: DisturbinglyAvidFfordeWorshipper (162.78.70.---)
Date: June 27, 2007 08:54PM

Why, Lord on a sandwich.

Posted by: Tari (66.195.209.---)
Date: June 28, 2007 12:53AM

They have a German copy out even before the English is printed? Or you got an English copy from the German Amazon? (That sounds like a strange temperate rain forest, pretend like it makes sense) *runs off to buy German dictionary and F.A.S. auf deutsch*

Posted by: robert (---.syd.ops.aspac.uu.net)
Date: June 28, 2007 12:55AM

An obvious time anomally - report to the nearest Chrono-Post immediately and have the book scanned for a temporal virus.
Some little bloke at Amazon has yet to pack it and despatch it, yet you already know that he will do so. Eerie stuff.

Posted by: MartinB (155.232.128.---)
Date: June 28, 2007 12:32PM

Cool!

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Date: June 28, 2007 02:52PM

It's the English copy, of course *is disgusted at the thought of reading anything but the original* :-).
Should have thought about the ChronoGuard!

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (---.static.dsl.dodo.com.au)
Date: June 28, 2007 04:37PM

Actually, my local bookshop asked me if I wanted a copy because they could get it in earlier. Makes me wish I wasn't a poor artist!
(sigh)

Is it wonderful?

Date: June 28, 2007 06:32PM

Well, that's the irony...I can't start reading it now, at least not that weekend, as I have a paper about Lacan or Freud due on Monday *sighs*.

Posted by: robert (---.syd.ops.aspac.uu.net)
Date: June 29, 2007 12:07AM

Josie,
Why don't you leave Lacan or forestall Freud until July 5th, give it the little bloke at Amazon and ask him to post it, thus getting your essay in a week ago?

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: June 29, 2007 09:10AM

Sadly, unless you are JKR, publishers dates are no longer sacrosanct: many shops shove stock out as soon as it arrives, regardless of publication dates.

It takes most of the fun out of getting hold of an early copy!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.