New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Harry Potter - SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS
Posted by: Lycanthra Pod (---.dsl.pipex.com)
Date: July 23, 2007 08:26PM

I was most upset about Hedwig and Dobby and I did shed a tear for Fred.I'm glad I was right about Snape.

A good ending well done JK!

Posted by: RookeeAlding (68.208.65.---)
Date: July 23, 2007 09:51PM

(adverts eyes and tries not to read any post before she finished the last 1/4 of the book she has yet to finish)

I usually have the HP books read in a weekend. but I had a busy weekend.

I got the book around noon on saturday. but the next day I had a cosin's birthday to go to and then we went to see harry potter 5 in 3D @ an I-Max(I am sure I've spelt that wrong. oh well) didn't get home till midnight and I had to go to work at 7:30am, the night before I had stayed till 4am)

know I'm at work, and spoiler........

around the part where Dobby died.

Posted by: Tari (66.195.208.---)
Date: July 23, 2007 10:33PM

Oooh, you're brave, coming onto a harry potter thread before you've read the whole thing.

OC, I have trouble believing Ron would leave, too, but he is pretty hot-headed, and as he says later, he wanted to come back the instant he left, so I rather think that what he did was more impulsive than something permanent and well-thought out. Had he left intending to stay away for good, I would say that JKR had underestimated the 6 previous years of friendship that the boys shared. Not to mention Ron's love for Hermione, who(m) he ditches, which I think is even more unlikely than him ditching Harry. I think, rather than say that his departure was merely a plot device to incorporate the deluminator, that it was more of a device to assuage those tensions that have always existed between Ron and Harry when the locket starts going all psycho. But I'm more inclined to give the locket a "one-ring" type role and blame it entirely for Ron leaving, rather than blame JKR for rather transparent writing. And there you can see my bias!

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: July 23, 2007 11:01PM

Well, it is tradition, after all. In each book, there is a certain period of time where the three have a huge fight, and one of them ends up refusing to talk to the other two. Usually it's Harry and Ron. Why stop now, just because Voldemort's coming?

Posted by: OC Not (68.121.255.---)
Date: July 23, 2007 11:05PM

Again T your point is very valid. Maybe I am over-reacting. I do like the series very much and this book definitely did meet (and exceed) my expectations! I will probably read it again very soon after it returns from its visits to the rest of the family.

Meanwhile, it's on to FAS tomorrow!

Date: July 23, 2007 11:43PM

There's no telling if you're overreacting or if I'm over-defending, OC. Ah, where would we be without two thirds of the trio not speaking to each other?

Here's the things I want explained:
Anyone want to try and explain to me why Voldy could kill snape and lots of other weebles with the Elder wand, but not Harry? Was it just because the wand was technically Harry's? That's what I figured went on. And let me ask for further clarification. Draco kills Dumbledore, but gives the wand back to Dumbledore so he can be buried with it? Draco then is disarmed by Harry, and loses not the Elder Wand, but his regular wand, but when Harry fights Voldy, the wand knows that Harry beat Draco, therefore it doesn't work for Voldy? Did I get that right? I had to re-read the last chapters a couple of times.

One more plot hole: Why, if the wand rebounded Voldy's final spell upon himself when he tried to kill Harry, why did it not do exactly the same thing when Harry went to Voldemort with the express purpose of being killed? Was it because there was some of Voldy in him? Or maybe because there was still the snake/horcrux keeping Voldy alive?

Speculations?

Posted by: OC Not (68.121.255.---)
Date: July 24, 2007 12:07AM

Gaak! See!?! I knew I was going to have to read it again. Like Elizabeth Bennett I was so anxious to get to what happened next I was incapable of understanding the sentence under my eyes (or something along those lines).

Date: July 24, 2007 03:51AM

That's pretty much exactly what I did at the end of book 6. My eye was drawn past the entire conversation between Snape and everyone at the top of the tower, straight to "avada kedavra, dumbledore dies, ect. ect." I understand completely, OC.

Posted by: HouseInTheWoods (---.108.125.91.rb5.adsl.brightview.com)
Date: July 24, 2007 06:55AM

Tari Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> One more plot hole: Why, if the wand rebounded
> Voldy's final spell upon himself when he tried to
> kill Harry, why did it not do exactly the same
> thing when Harry went to Voldemort with the
> express purpose of being killed?

I expect it was because Harry kept his wand stuffed down the front of his shirt and went willingly to be killed. In the final battle Harry was ready to fight.

Posted by: megs (---.static.dsl.dodo.com.au)
Date: July 24, 2007 12:56PM

With regards to re-reading, that's generally how I read books with all the hype like this. I read and read and read it all in one sitting to find out what happens so no-one can spoil it for me, then read it again to work out the nitty gritty. It works... But now I can't decide which out of HP7 and TN5 to read first...

-------

Beware of the flying giraffes.

Posted by: Ffran (156.63.195.---)
Date: July 24, 2007 02:34PM

Tari: As I understood the Elder wand, it would act as a regular wand for someone who was not its Master most of the time(like when Harry borrowed Hermione's wand), but would not, if used by that someone else, act against its Master. So Voldemort could use it against Snape and everyone else, but not against Harry unless Harry allowed it (as he did in the forest). I don't think Draco ever had physical possession of the wand, Snape probably collected it after the mess on the Tower, but when Harry defeated Draco, even with the other wand, the Elder wand changed allegiances. Of course, there was no way for Harry to be absolutely certain that had all happened, so it still took a good bit of Griffyndor courage to stand up to V. at the end. That's my take, for what it's worth.

I pick up my copy of FAS tonight! Yay!

If people did not sometimes do silly things, nothing intelligent would
ever get done.

— Ludwig Wittgenstein

Posted by: RookeeAlding (68.208.65.---)
Date: July 24, 2007 02:58PM

ok, finally finished....

my bad habit of keeping a visual page count made me realize that he wasn't just going to stay dead.....unless of course he where to discribe every little detail of every little thing till he got to voldy. ( I did the same to Thursday in the last few books...."OH she got shot! wait there are more pages....lot's more...ok...something's up. or with the last one...wait this is far too much action for the last three pages! )

I think I'ed like to see the movie version of at the very leas that prologe ( they could add a bit to it.)

I wanted to know more. like where all of them worked where they lived, and who is in charge of the school now. they said longbottom was a proffeser but they didn't say he was in charge....

so does he live a quite life now or is he relatively famous? what about luna...really That's one I'ed like to know.

I gotta say though compared to other "endings" of series I've read, this is one of the better ones. (see bookends for my irate hatered of the ending of animorphs....'nother rant sorry)

Posted by: 198505 (---.cable.ubr04.pres.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: July 24, 2007 05:10PM

Herbology I think it was.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blood! Death! War! Rumpy pumpy! Triumph!

Posted by: LeonardQuirm (---.adsl.entanet.co.uk)
Date: July 24, 2007 06:28PM

Firstly, Tari, Draco doesn't kill Dumbledore - that's quite an important point, really! I think he disarms Dumbledore first, though, before Snape jumps in at his hesitation on killing and does as Dumbledore wished. The act of disarming is apparently enough to count as "beating" someone and hence taking control of the Elder Wand. The wand was just known as Dumbledore's normal wand at the time, so it was buried with him.

And apparently, yes, Harry disarming Draco is apparently good enough for him to take possession of the Elder Wand, despite the Elder Wand being still buried with Dumbledore at the time. Hmmm....

Oh, and I would expect Harry must be pretty famous after this. He's now not only defeated Voldemort by being "The Boy Who Lived" but has now also defeated him completely, at the height of his power. That's fairly worthy of fame, I figure.

Date: July 25, 2007 05:06AM

LQ, well, I assumed that if Harry disarming Draco when Draco didn't even have the Elder wand on his person was good enough to make the wand switch masters, Draco disarming Dumbledore certainly should have done the trick.

Yeah, Neville was herbology prof. One of either Harry or Ron's children talks about going into the greenhouses to talk to Prof. Longbottom.

It just occurred to me that we could have our "black-screen-he-went-on-to-marry-a-goat-and-she-became-a-chemist" ending after all, once the 7th movie is released. Perhaps JKR could give the fans the info then?

And Harry must be famous after this, because when he's putting his childrens onto the train, everybody starts staring at him. He's keeping his kids humble though, they ask why everybody's staring. Beats me how he could keep that secret from his children, though.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.132.---)
Date: July 25, 2007 08:05AM

Easy solution:

He tell the kids

"They are staring because you are suck hideous freaks and no-one will ever love you. Now stop crying."

Posted by: annie (---.vic.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 25, 2007 10:10AM

finished it at 2.02 am today (a little slow at work today on four hours' sleep)

my brother's question was "How did Neville get the sword if the goblin grabbed it at gringotts?"

Posted by: xmorpheus (193.95.170.---)
Date: July 25, 2007 11:33AM

I can answer that one - the Sorting Hat.

Harry got the sword from the Sorting Hat in Chamber of Secrets.

Neville had the Sorting Hat on (albeit burning) when he produced the sword. It can be produced by a worthy Gryffyndor in great need from the Sorting Hat apparently!

(I noticed that one as well by the way - had to think it through for a while! ;) )

Posted by: annie (---.vic.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 25, 2007 11:55AM

yes, that is what i told my brother, but why was the sword in the sorting hat? the goblin took it from harry when they were in the lestrange's vault at gringotts.

Posted by: xmorpheus (193.95.170.---)
Date: July 25, 2007 12:23PM

I dont' think it was in the hat the last time - that's kind of the point - it was just available when needed?

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.