New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Harry Potter - SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS
Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: August 04, 2007 05:49PM

So............. wouldn't that be moonburn?

Posted by: Mooxico (---.240.233.199.Dial1.Phoenix1.Level3.net)
Date: August 05, 2007 02:19AM

Hmmm. Bright night, or maybe FifthBear lives above the Arctic Circle (longer days this time of year would indicate Northern Hemisphere, right?), OR maybe FifthBear had to wait outside Barnes Ignoble in a line for most of the day?
OR perhaps it was some sort of endurance test...

Posted by: RookeeAlding (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: August 05, 2007 05:26AM

or perhaps Fifthbear took a nap under a heat lamp before going.

did they have headlamps at the midnight thing? that would have been neat.

Date: August 05, 2007 10:16AM

You are right Mooxico. It would be Arctic, not Antartic. Perhaps the Barnes and Noble is near that Russian flag thingie.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

My computer beat me at chess, but I won at kickboxing

Posted by: nemades (---.range86-131.btcentralplus.com)
Date: August 11, 2007 12:07AM

Then that would be an aquatic branch? Curiouser and curiouser!

Woo hoo I like this thread, Skids PLEASE read book 3, you can totally berate me if you don't like it but I just loved that book so much after book 2 which I think is up with 5 as my least favourite!

With the whole sword in the hat thing I guess it is a bit like the room of requiremen - there when needed.

MY question for JK would be what happened to the Potter's cat? I did the whole buy at midnight (or 2am if you had as long a que and as few staff as Stirling Waterstones) and spped read through the night so need to go back but I am sure there was mention of a cat? Where is this cat now? Is it in a good home? I am really concerned!

I did feel that book six was the first half of book seven but that just heightened the anticipation! I was pleases, I agree that the camping bit was a bit long but they would have been a bit too jammy if they only had a little bit of natural living!

My theory on why Harry isn't teaching at Hogwarts is that like Sirius and Voldy yes it was his home but unlike our two singletons he marries and has a life outside Hogs and so makes his own happiness sort of thing.

Sorry bit long winded!

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: August 11, 2007 04:21AM

What I've always wanted to know is more about the theoretical side of magic in the Harry Potter world. I mean, were the spells always there? Did somebody create them? How does one create a new spell, or discover it? Is magic quantifiable?

Related to this is the fact that by midway through their time at Hogwarts, Fred and George have managed to create an enormous variety of magical objects with some pretty sophisticated properties, which seems to me like it would require far more understanding of the theory of magic than simply learning one spell after another, which is most of what Harry and friends seem to have learned.

In the last book, there was mention of Dumbledore having published papers in some of the magical journals, as well as having worked with "one of the greatest theoretical magicians of his day". So who's doing the theory, and more importantly, why isn't Hermione studying it?

Posted by: OC Not (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: August 15, 2007 03:16AM

I always wondered why there was no mention of 'going to university' after Hogwarts. Obviously Hermione is a scholarship candidate. Surely that would be where the theory is studied?

FYI great new Potter article by Steven King just out on the Entertainment Weekly website. I don't know how to post links, but it's at ew.com ...

Date: August 16, 2007 05:51PM

nemades Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Then that would be an aquatic branch? Curiouser
> and curiouser!
>
> Woo hoo I like this thread, Skids PLEASE read book
> 3, you can totally berate me if you don't like it
> but I just loved that book so much after book 2
> which I think is up with 5 as my least favourite!
>
Sorry for the late reply. Now that I am working again, time is tight! I may well follow your recommendation and read 3. I gave up on 2 but mrs. SkidMarks did like the whole series, but while we have disimilar tastes, they are very definitely not the same. She prefers far more childrens' books than I like and whereas I enjoyed LOTR, she reads it at least once per year. I haven't yet managed to convince her that P.G. Wodehouse is the greatest comic writer in the English language (yes, even better than TP).

So again, thanks for the heartfelt plea and I promise to try it ..... but not until I have finished the latest Holt, Moore and by then the latest Pratchett.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

My computer beat me at chess, but I won at kickboxing

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2007 05:54PM by SkidMarks.

Posted by: nemades (---.range86-131.btcentralplus.com)
Date: August 16, 2007 08:51PM

Yay! I really hope you like it and on your recomendation I think I may even try a P.G. Wodehouse then once I am a bit more settled in my new routine and after the new T.P. - I am really really really looking forwards to it, I re-read Going Postal over the summer and really enjoyed it, ooh I can't wait! Hope the new job is going well!

:)

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.