New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
ebay
Posted by: dave (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: April 01, 2003 10:56PM

right. I've got a dilemma. Been bidding on a portable MP3 player on ebay. Price was going up and up, and I drop out of the auction.

I do some digging, and now I'm 99.9% sure the guy was shill bidding (using a second ebay id to bid up his price - in effect he was bidding against me for his own item).

I really want the mp3 player. It's still a good price, a good model. I email him saying 'ah well, too expensive for me'.

Get a response 'let me know your price range, my brother may want to sell his'.

So now I'm sure he's bidding up his price...

From his feedback history, he's good for his stuff. A variety of people have bought from him over the years, all happy with him.

so my question is
Do I forget the whole thing, find another auction, carry on bidding? Or see if I can get him to part with his MP3 player for less than the current bid price?

Or shop him to ebay, as shill bidding is v.naughty.

Re: ebay
Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: April 01, 2003 10:58PM

I'd shop him - the whole thing rests upon cheats being exposed and shamed. I'd make an offer on the thing by email first though!

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: dave (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: April 01, 2003 11:01PM

that was where my train of thought was heading. Obtain item for good price, then shop the cheating little.......

I shall keep you informed...

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: April 01, 2003 11:04PM

Cheating little dots? Wht is he? A dalmation?

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: April 01, 2003 11:35PM

uh yeah, make your offer LOW and if he doesn't bite, use a little bribery by offering slightly more then telling him you're on to him and might just have to report him to Ebay.

I look at it this way...if you do this, you'll more than likely put a stop to his behavior, you'll have gotten the deal you probably would have had originally, AND you'll save other people from getting ripped off by this jerk.

BUT, take a look at some of the other auctions that the seller has done. If you see any of the same users popping up over and over again in the bidding records, you're probably on to something. The guy may actually have 3 or 4 user names to mix it up a bit. Worth looking into anyway!

Posted by: dave (212.158.104.---)
Date: April 02, 2003 09:02AM

that's what gave it away - the person bidding against me won an item from this guy once, about a year ago. Feedback from both buyer and seller was 'great', all his other feedback he'd left had been far more verbiose. Checked his last auction, oh look, same 'buyer', dropped out at the last moment.

Now it is possible I guess that this other buyer only bids on and rarely wins his auctions, but I doubt it.

Looking again this morning, someone else got involved in the bidding late in the day - and our mystery buyer outbids them again.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: April 02, 2003 09:26AM

whadda creep! I'd report him!

Posted by: skiffle (---.range217-44.btcentralplus.com)
Date: April 02, 2003 12:17PM

Always fascinated to see jobs for 'mystery shoppers' in jobcentre. Plenty of speculation there...
Also sometimes see adverts for 'borers wanted' (Could recommend a couple of people I know !).
And, possibly only in Sheffield - 'Knee polishers wanted' Something to do with steel industry, judging by other info on cards.

Of course, it could be some kind of beauty treatment. Imagine the ads in Cosmo:
Knee polishing - using the same exclusive treatment as stars like J Lo and Kylie. Our therapists will buff your knees to a dazzling shine ! No more crusty skin ! Be proud of your knees this summer.
6 week course - £500 per knee.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.