New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: Battenberg Cake!
Posted by: The Cookster (217.154.169.---)
Date: September 12, 2007 05:43PM

<lifts arm to expose armpit by way of a non-endearing, albeit practical demonstration>

Posted by: OC Not (68.121.255.---)
Date: September 12, 2007 05:54PM

Yeah, Cook, not really what I was hoping for there.

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: September 13, 2007 04:51AM

I'm a little more concerned about the scent being "free-spirited". Is it something like the Smell of Foul Ole Ron, which is so overpowering it's nearly sentient and sometimes wanders around the city without him?

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.eu.prnews.net)
Date: September 13, 2007 10:14AM

Worse, it's free-spirited and strong. Wanders the city without the man who's supposedly wearing it, and if anyone dislikes it, it'll beat you up. It's the Vinnie Jones of the perfume world.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.108.---)
Date: September 13, 2007 01:18PM

Free-spirited could mean it wears cheesecloth, hasn't heard of soap, reads tarot cards, thinks there is something *spiritual* about pan pipes and only drinks ginger wine or cider.

Posted by: Barefoot Andy (195.188.86.---)
Date: September 13, 2007 02:41PM

It could just mean it provides you with free spirit.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.adsl.izrsolutions.com)
Date: September 13, 2007 04:38PM

Well, I suppose it is alcohol based...

Or do you mean a ghostly spirit for free? Because if I brought another one into the house I don't think the existing ones would like it. They're a little bit territorial.

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: September 14, 2007 02:51AM

Comments on three threads on here:

.1 I have a non-fatal birthday coming up. I am going to request my loved ones, and my family, to make Battenberg Cake for me. Apart from a good tea (and I'll accept guidance on what is the best tea to have with Battenberg cake) what else should one drink, or more probably, avoid drinking?

.2 Agrees with sentiment of 'that all artificial aromas should be banned.' I cannot walk into a couple of department stores as they have their Agent Orange and Mustard Gas counters at the entrances of the stores and my lungs go into spasm when they meet these kinds of attack. They also have their air-conditioners set so the miasmas are blown onto the footpath and so I have to go down the other side of the street. I have not looked lately but I get the feeling that when the rain (sic) falls through these fumes they actually end up etching the pavement.

.3 Mens charisma is the smell of used socks, underwear, work-shirts, and other things quietly evolving into new life forms in the bottom of the wardrobe. The free spirited is when it evolves to a state of perambulation independently of its owner's, or owner's minder's, help. The alcohol is probably generated as part of the overall evolutionary process.

Posted by: OC Not (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: September 14, 2007 05:53AM

1. Avoid gin. At all costs.

2. Chemical warfare is prohibited by treaty. Consult your local representative. Thank you for calling.

3. Hyperbole aside, the name of Beckham's 'men's fragrance' is Instinct. So I will rephrase the question - what does a man's 'Instinct' smell like?

Posted by: HouseInTheWoods (81.102.13.---)
Date: September 14, 2007 08:20AM

I smelt it. It stinct.

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.rivernet.com.au)
Date: September 14, 2007 09:03AM

I think there should be more advertising for soap and having a shower regularly (or bath depending on your personal inclination). Too many people smell far too strongly to have just had a single energetic day betwixt their last wash.

Some deodorants stink terribly- lynx for one! my brother used to use it inside his smelly shoes. Was horrible!

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.108.---)
Date: September 14, 2007 01:04PM

I quite like Lynx- but it doesn't get rid of that awful 'bottom of the locker' smelliness the way teenage boys seem to think it does. It just lays another smell on top of it

Date: September 15, 2007 02:43AM

Nostalgia time: (Apologies)

Two skunk children named 'In' and "Out" playing in the forest. Parents call but only 'Outy' comes to them. Parents fear worst and search frantically in forest for 'In' but with no luck.

they tell 'Out' that his sibling is lost. 'Out says "no problems' and goes into forest returning shortly with 'In'

Parents ask how. Out says by smell as In stinks.

(Learned by Bunyip at age 8 or so. Thought it funny then. It sits in memory when other non trivia have faded into then gloom. Must ask psychiatrist why, if can remember. So much for two years studying epistemology.)

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.rivernet.com.au)
Date: September 16, 2007 12:15PM

That is it Kitten. The way teenage boys smell!
Probably why I don't like it! You get bombarded with it on your way to teach in the corridors at secondary school.
One week on my round, there were heaps of stink bombs that went off- deliberately (trusty sulphur monox) and it smelt very strongly of course. I could handle that, but then every kid broke out the deodorant and sprayed over the smell with 50 different fake perfumes. It was like the Land of Stench out of Labyrinth minus David Bowie....

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: September 16, 2007 07:01PM

I could not describe the smell of masculine charisma, but it sounds a bit like someone tearing a fabric.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

My computer beat me at chess, but I won at kickboxing

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.131.---)
Date: September 17, 2007 02:35PM

Is it very large and green also?
And played very badly by Eric Bana?

Posted by: Lymond (---.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com)
Date: September 17, 2007 09:58PM

Eric Banana?

Date: September 18, 2007 01:37PM

Ya canna handa man a betta 'nana.

------------------------------------------------

What ever happened to Bill Bixby?

My Favourite Martian's stooge, The Magician, then the Jolly Green Giant.

What a memory of a life!

--------------------------------------------------

Alright,

Titus Andronicus meets Abbott and Costello.....

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.