New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Hi!
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 19, 2007 05:53AM

Just wanted to say Hi! I've been a fan since the Eyre Affair came out and I heard about it on NPR in the US. I keep trying to explain to other people why they should read these books, but they are difficult to explain and people tend to look at me weird.

Just went to see Jasper fforde in person a couple of weeks ago. That was great. I had to drive a couple of hours, but it was well worth it.

Anyway, it is nice to know there is a web site out there for other Thursday fanatics. I guess it is very early on Sunday there now, so hopefully you are all having a nice sleep.

Re: Hi!
Posted by: mr puniverse (---.104.69.90.optusnet.com.au)
Date: August 19, 2007 07:00AM

Hi to u
I discovered the books when looking for something different to read. Apparently people still read books weird huh?
I too have trouble explaining the books the best i have come up with is: If alice in wonderland was written by monty python and douglas adams.
After i read the eyre affair i had to rush out and get the follow up I have NEVER done that with any other author.
I suffer FForde FFever i can't fff wait for the next Next installment.,
Welcome

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: August 19, 2007 08:04AM

Nice to meet you!
Fforde books are hard to explain!
Bonzai Kitten gave me the Eryre Affair for my 17th! Way back in 04...
We became hooked on the books, bookhookers!

Date: August 19, 2007 01:34PM

I think this is the only series of books I collect which is entirely made up of hard-back copies. (Well, this and my son's Harry Potter series.) I just can't sit around and wait till they are out in paperback or at the library. Besides, I have lost count of the times I have read the Eyre Affair and the others.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.131.---)
Date: August 19, 2007 01:37PM

Welcome both! Have some pie. If you can work out the mass or volume of the pie from the dimensions of the sliver you are given, you'll be seated over there on the sleekgeek table.

The rest of us have this fold-away card table. Watch out for the bit of folded up cardboard under that leg. If that gets moved, the whole thing wobbles.

Date: August 19, 2007 01:40PM

Thanks for the warning.

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: August 19, 2007 05:05PM

Hi to both far-to-go and mr puniverse!

Don't faff about with slivers of pie. Have a decent slice or choose an smaller pie and have all of it. there is now gravy and custard available. I particularly recommend the custard withe sweet pies, and the gravy with the meat pies. Neither enhances the cheese and onion.

I like the idea of "Alice in Wonderland" written by MP and DNA. The latter in particular could have had so much fun with that story line.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

My computer beat me at chess, but I won at kickboxing

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: August 19, 2007 05:13PM

Thanks for the help with the pies. That does sound better than custard with the meat pies and gravy with the sweet.

Posted by: Lycanthra Pod (---.dsl.pipex.com)
Date: August 19, 2007 07:37PM

Welcome far-to-go have some tea and cake, unfortunately gravy doesn't go well with the cake.

Posted by: nemades (---.range86-131.btcentralplus.com)
Date: August 19, 2007 08:25PM

Hey! Welcome, I offer chocolate cake!

No one I know really reads that much or has time to read (no excuse in my opinion!) so I don't have any peeps in the 'real' world to discuss Nextian things so I to come here to communicate! Hope you enjoy your selves!

Posted by: The Cookster (217.154.169.---)
Date: August 20, 2007 03:18PM

Hi! Welcome to two people who are even newer than I am!

Courtesy of my Mum I've got some tricoloured sponge cake to offer round (pink, white-ish and blue) All colourings used are completely unnatural additives and particulary good for enhancing hyperactivity!

Having three different couloured layers of sponge means you also get to have two layers of buttercream filling!

Feel free to help yourselves :-)

Posted by: Barefoot Andy (195.188.86.---)
Date: August 20, 2007 03:22PM

Welcome Fartogo, nice to see a new, ermm, name? Maybe

Anyway cookster that cake sounds like it's a revolutionary design.

Date: August 20, 2007 03:31PM

Well it's certainly a round design! :-)

The recipe goes back years - my Mum always used to bake one for my birthday as a kid, but she still occasionally makes one now, so I thought what better than to share it with the rest of the Fforum?!

Hope you all enjoy!

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.adsl.izrsolutions.com)
Date: August 20, 2007 04:43PM

*swipes the buttercream filling while no-one is looking*
*giggles insanely from the sugar rush*

Hello, far-to-go, welcome from another semi-new person!

Date: August 20, 2007 05:12PM

<notices the tell-tale splodge of buttercream on arisv's nose and realizes who the culprit is>

<simulataneously witnessing the manic effects of the sugar rush, decides it is probably safest to take no further action>

Date: August 20, 2007 07:29PM

Thanks for the welcome and the cakes and pies. I would like to recipricate with this cheesecake. Don't worry, I didn't make it myself. And there is hot fudge sauce for people who need more sugar.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.adsl.izrsolutions.com)
Date: August 20, 2007 08:03PM

*wipes tell-tale splodge off nose before anyone else notices*

Ah, important question, however... is it cheesecake as you get in Germany, the solid-all-the-way-up kind? Or the other kind which has biscuit on the bottom and then the squidgy creamy stuff and then fruit/chocolate/fudge/whatever topping? Vital information when offering cheesecake, you see...

Posted by: OC Not (68.121.255.---)
Date: August 20, 2007 08:47PM

Welcome FTG and thanks for the cheesecake! Hope its the graham-cracker-crust-squidgy-stuff kind but I'll take it in almost any form, really.

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.dsl.irvnca.pacbell.net)
Date: August 21, 2007 02:13AM

CHEESECAKE!!! Er…I mean…welcome, FTG! And Mr. P!

Date: August 21, 2007 10:43AM

Any cheesecake left? Or am I too late?

Could also do with some cream for the tricoloured sponge cake ........ it's a bit dry now that the buttercream filling seems to have vanished!

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.