New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Difference between the US/UK editions
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.199.9.67.static.012.net.il)
Date: August 29, 2007 09:17AM

Hello!
What is there a difference between the US and UK editions? I mean, did the book go through an adaptation like the Harry Potter series, or are the differences only in the design?
I want to buy The Well of Lost Plots now, and since I can't find it in the bookstores around, I'm wondering what edition to order.

Re: Difference between the US/UK editions
Posted by: SLIGHTCAP (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: August 29, 2007 12:47PM

I think they're pretty much the same. I've read both versions, and didn't find any differences except in Lost in a Good Book with the contest winners, and that was by design. Buy whichever copy you can get the quickest.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.tau.ac.il)
Date: August 29, 2007 02:07PM

Thanks. It's just that in Harry Potter they changed stuff like Lorry to Truck and stuff, and I'd hate to miss those.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.104.---)
Date: August 29, 2007 02:53PM

I'm sure Jasper wouldn't mind if you ordered both. And the publishers would LOVE it... ;)

Posted by: OC Not (68.121.255.---)
Date: August 29, 2007 04:44PM

Well, my copy of WOLP does have a chapter at the end that says it is "Exlusive to the US Edition" but that could just be Jasper's joke?

Date: August 29, 2007 04:56PM

No, that was because at the time the books were coming out 6 months apart, and so some americans would buy the uk version baceause they couldn;t wait. The extra chapter was to get americans to buy the us version as well. Right after that, the books started coming out 2 weeks apart.

Posted by: OC Not (68.121.255.---)
Date: August 30, 2007 07:43PM

Thanks slightcap for the info. I had wondered about that...

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.vicdir.schools.net.au)
Date: August 31, 2007 02:31AM

I think they should just leave the prose alone! Do they think Americans can't understand UK English or something? I can convert American spelling and stuff to Aus English in my head, I don't want the text to be changed.
If I could read the original in another language even, I would!

It must be hard to do translations. Image translating A Clock Work Orange! That would be impossible.

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: August 31, 2007 04:44PM

Welcome Ilya. Have some pie.

All my pies are multi-lingual and can be eaten in English or American.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.107.---)
Date: September 01, 2007 01:48PM

Others are parochial and spell everything with u and use mm even if it's a waste of good letters.

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: September 02, 2007 01:05PM

The difference is that they are printed in different languages.

English:

is irrational; is the assimilation of three major language groups, plus anything else which is (a) useful (b) catchy (c) may come in handy later (d) misheard or mistranslated (e)corrupted; and in no way intent on standardisation or eliminating redundancies; and ever evolving;

while American:

is all the above plus the Monk's factor of some do-gooders who try to eliminate the character and richness of the original English of King George III's time; and devolving.

Any culture which replaces the richness and subtlety of :'continue','continuing', 'continuous', and ''continual' with 'ongoing' should be closed down immediately or placed in isolation until they can appreciate the beauty of language. Either that or starty using hieroglyphics.

And I hate 'prioritise'!

Posted by: robert (61.88.131.---)
Date: September 03, 2007 01:10AM

While I agree about the dreadfulness of 'ongoing', is there a concise replacement for 'prioritise'?

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.131.---)
Date: September 04, 2007 12:16PM

Neither is as bad as synergistically.

And to be fair, it was big business that really butchered the language, not Merka.

Posted by: OC Not (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: September 06, 2007 05:06AM

BK, I agree wholeheartedly. The next time some B.A. looks me in the eye and tells me to "think outside the box" I may finally crack for good and all. Be prepared to lend me the pointy stick?

Date: September 06, 2007 05:59AM

As Kitten says, big businesses are probably the biggest language butchers, but the military (and, hence, governments) were first. What they have in common is the need to describe something that they don't really want to talk about or describe accurately at all.

Vertical troop insertion (parachute drops); pacifying the enemy (killing lots of the enemy); under friendly fire (killing your own troops); civilian population displacement (napalming their village); and the ever-popular Stalinist/ Mao favorite, "re-education" (jail for life; though since big business has privatised the jails, these are now "detainment facilities") are but a few now nearing, or celebrating, 50th birthdays.

Australian governments have had the bug for a few years of renaming (often with obscure and complex titles which no-one remembers) policies and laws which don't work, or which are unpopular. When asked a question which involves the old name, they will happily relate, "Oh! That doesn't exist anymore!" and insist that a new name creates a completely new kettle of fish. Policies which are unpopular invariably got that way, not because they stank from the first, but because they weren't "sold" properly.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.199.9.67.static.012.net.il)
Date: September 06, 2007 09:03AM

I think that Lorry is the funniest word ever, and if I have a chance to read a book that might have it inside, I won't pass it.

Date: September 06, 2007 01:43PM

hmmm. pointy sticks and kettle of fish. haven;t seen much of either of those around here lately.

Date: September 07, 2007 12:37AM

"Lorry" is derived from "lurry" - an old but not ancient English word meaning to pull or haul; it is pretty funny. Lorries wouldn't be half as funny if we called them 'lurries'. Though they would probably crop up in poetry a lot more often because you could rhyme them better with actions like hurry, scurry, flurry, etc, instead of boring words like sorry, quarry or estuary (if you say it with a plum in your mouth).

Interestingly enough, as I quickly looked this up in my MacQuarie, I happenstanced upon "lost time allowance", as in a payment made to an employee as part of an award. Could this be a rogue expression (doing a runner, in its own little way) from a Spec Ops manual and hiding in the dictionary of English as she is spoke in Oz?

These ruminations have been brought to you as an entry in the "most boring post" competition.

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: September 08, 2007 10:47AM

I think that the major diffence between the U.K. and U.S. editions is that one is priced in sterling and the other in dollars.

I don't know how they are priced in Stirling, but suspect that a label gun is involved.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

My computer beat me at chess, but I won at kickboxing

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.130.---)
Date: September 09, 2007 03:56PM

I think Robert deserves a small prize for that effort!

(You know it's time for a change of government, when they give their more unfriendly laws BrandNames (tm) )

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.