New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
HELP NEEDED.
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.sunsh7.vic.optusnet.com.au)
Date: August 31, 2007 01:14AM

hi.
im currently studying drama in year 12 and as part of my solo performance i have to explore the links betewen "jack and jill" quangtech and the french revolution.

does anyone have any ideas as to how the french revolution and quangtech might be linked?

Re: HELP NEEDED.
Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.128.---)
Date: August 31, 2007 01:38AM

How random can the connections be?

Personally, I'd focus on hats- and jobs that are defined by their hats (or crowns) to the point where the hat is the focus of power, at the expense of the person wearing it (ie, the crown as a symbol being overthrown, and incidentally chopping off the aristo's heads, which happen to be wearing them)

"On the top of the Crumpetty Tree
The Quangle Wangle sat,
But his face you could not see,
On account of his Beaver Hat."

The poem of course, has a much nicer outcome than the revolution. The Quangle Wangles hat becomes the basis of a community rather than the reverse. Of course, this is an incredibly lacking in detail, what with it being an unplanned response.

I suggest several weeks obsessing about nursery rhymes and the revolution (however dubious the connections!) and then throw in a few fish puns.

[www.nonsenselit.org]
[www.rhymes.org.uk]
[www.jasperfforde.com]

Posted by: Shakespeare (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: August 31, 2007 01:44AM

Quangtech is the nasty corporation that featured in Jasper Fforde's Fourth Bear novel.

Jack Spratt is the detective from the above novel. Yes. That Jack Spratt, the one from the nursery rhyme, who's wife could eat no lean.

Jack and Jill? Nursery rhyme, yes. But not the Jack we're looking for in connection to Quangtech.

French Revolution? Maybe in the Jack and Jill nursery rhyme, when Jack "broke his crown" it symbolizes the breaking of the French monarchy???

Really reaching here.....

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.128.---)
Date: August 31, 2007 01:51AM

<grin> The fact that this question was posted here means Quangtech is a known quantity, lol.

Random trawling offers this, just for fun- both Edward Lear (who wrote the quangle wangle's hat) and the french revolution are both mentioned.

[www.fullbooks.com]

Date: August 31, 2007 02:37AM

thankyou so much for that.
i love the hat/crown idea

Posted by: robert (---.syd.ops.aspac.uu.net)
Date: August 31, 2007 03:32AM

I know that integrity is important but is there really a lot of emphasis in the exam on the logical coherence of the script? I've taught HSC drama in NSW and the individual performance is judged on the person performing rather than the material and I'd be wary of spending too much effort on the script - if it's coherent enough to get you from A to Z then that's fine: voice, tension, body language, movement, timing, face, etc, are what are going to get you the marks.

Posted by: Shakespeare (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: August 31, 2007 06:35AM

Quangtech was big busi-ness

Big profits earn-ed he

Contracts with the government

All made a whopping fee

But one day quangtech stumbled

And corruption did we see

The lawyers placed a guillotine

On the neck of King Louie-ee

Stock price fell down

And broke it's crown

With jail time sentencing after

Posted by: robert (---.syd.ops.aspac.uu.net)
Date: August 31, 2007 07:02AM

Nice jingle. It also describes the careers of several recent prominent Australian businessmen.

Date: August 31, 2007 07:20AM

i love the hyme shakespeare. its awesome

Posted by: HouseInTheWoods (81.102.13.---)
Date: August 31, 2007 02:42PM

Actually, I think there is a connection through hats. French colonisation of North America (New France) was driven in part by the fur trade, particularly beaver. France then lost New France to Britain in 1759, a war which increased France's national debt, which itself contributed to the Revolution.

I'm sure that somewhere in the Hudson's Bay Company Archives you will find transfer of the control of the fur trade to QuangTech when the HBC diversified in the 20th century, but I don't think the archives have been fully indexed yet so you might have to wait a bit.

Posted by: OC Not (68.121.255.---)
Date: August 31, 2007 04:48PM

maybe you could do something with tumbled/tumbrils. louis fell first and lost his crown, and marie took a tumbril after.

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: September 01, 2007 07:02AM

One might use the negative technique as utilised in mathemtics and logic, namely if you can show the negative of some proposition is 'true' then the proposition must be false.

How about starting with the fact that none of them get a mention in 'Biggles and the Black Flight' and work out from there?

Date: September 01, 2007 07:06AM

Oh, 'House in the woods'

Your explanation has just solved the problem I have been wrestling with for thirty years since I walked through Paris one evening - namely the amount of beaver that was available in some streets. This must have been the fur trading district of Gay (in the happy sense) Raree.

Date: September 01, 2007 07:08AM

Sorry I meant 'Gay Paree' - I am beginning to suffer dyslexia of the fingers, caused I think, by the consumption of too much Fruity Lexia.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.107.---)
Date: September 01, 2007 01:55PM

There are soooo many dirty jokes in that... I'm glad my censor is on duty tonight!

Posted by: DisturbinglyAvidFfordeWorshipper (---.kpunet.net)
Date: September 02, 2007 02:30AM

What sort of intellectual environment is it? Do they expect a thoughtful, conceptual common mechanism, or just hats? Is it an excercise in imagination or logic? What do they want from you? Think about that.

Posted by: robert (61.88.131.---)
Date: September 03, 2007 01:25AM

Anyone remember "Leave It To Beaver"?
The family surname was Cleaver, so the Jerry Mathers character was Beaver Cleaver.
I also remember a cartoon character called Bucky Beaver - I think he was in a toothpaste ad.

Bunyip, you could have just gone back in and edited your Paree/ Raree. Doing a whole new entry is (drum-role)

...a long way to retype a raree.

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.ru.ac.za)
Date: September 03, 2007 07:58PM

So exactly what role did the drum play in this?

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Posted by: robcraine (---.mcb.net)
Date: September 03, 2007 08:35PM

So... this is the second time this subject has arisen - is Quangtech now on the official Drama sylabus? or are you both in the same class?

Rob

------
That statement is either so deep it would take a lifetime to fully comprehend every particle of its meaning, or it is a load of absolute tosh. Which is it, I wonder?
Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Posted by: robert (61.88.131.---)
Date: September 04, 2007 02:57AM

Tipperary, Martin... Tipperary.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.