New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: I Want To Work for Pixar
Posted by: BibwitHart (---.rivernet.com.au)
Date: October 08, 2007 11:25AM

When did Louis Armstrong die? He was the voice for King Louis of course! had to have been the late 60s, it was in colour yes?

Posted by: HouseInTheWoods (---.dynamic.mts.net)
Date: October 08, 2007 04:35PM

I see Disney is now doing Rapunzel. It was to be a spoof but has now reverted to the original fairy tale, which leaves me to wonder just how closely they are sticking to the storyline or if Rapunzel is just going to adopt some cute animals instead of having twins...

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: October 09, 2007 04:21AM

I do have a lot of faith in John Lasseter to make sure it has a decent and interesting story. Disney has had a bad habit of settling for cliches and lazy humor, but I'm hoping they'll start to turn that around now…

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: October 09, 2007 06:07PM

BibwitHart Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When did Louis Armstrong die? He was the voice for
> King Louis of course! had to have been the late
> 60s, it was in colour yes?

Sacrilege! Louis Prima was the voice of King Louis.
The Jungle Book is a fairly late Disney - 1967.

However to answer your question Satchmo died 6th July, 1971

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

My computer beat me at chess, but I won at kickboxing

Date: October 10, 2007 03:38AM

Ah well, his first name was the same!
Must be years since I last watched the Jungle book

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.133.---)
Date: October 10, 2007 01:55PM

Having twins?
The Rapunzel story I was always told had her having her voice stolen, and the princes eyes scratched out... I don't remember twins!

Date: October 11, 2007 03:12AM

That's probably the one they'll go with. The one I knew had the witch discovering that Rapunzel had been entertaining guests when Rapunzel commented that her gowns were getting tight in the waist. Rapunzel lost her voice and was banished to the wilderness where she gave birth in a cave to twins. The prince, startled by the witch, falls out of the tower and loses his eyes to the thorn bushes growing below (didn't Rapunzel's hair get tangled in those?) and he wanders the world blind until he collapses near death in the desert where Rapunzel has been living. Her tears restore his eyes and his kiss restores her voice and they go off with their ready-made family and live happily ever after.

Sleeping Beauty also had twins, but they weren't in the Disney version. I keep waiting to catch the Disney version on DVD -- next out in October 2008 I read -- mainly to see if it's true that she never speaks for the second half of the film, but also because it was my childhood favourite.

Date: October 11, 2007 03:16AM

Twins aren't very romantic..!

Date: October 11, 2007 03:25AM

I wonder why they tend to turn up in myths, legends and fairy tales -- Apollo and Artemis, the two examples above, Man in the Iron Mask theories, possibly many more (it's late and I'm really tired). A known archetype or just a subconscious recognition of the relative rarity of twins, especially in ages of high infant mortality?

Posted by: Barefoot Andy (195.188.86.---)
Date: October 11, 2007 09:49AM

Well twins have creepy similarity, the potential for emulating each other, willing or not, and mythically speaking, and in some legends, they're the same person in two bodies.

Sometimes it's a symbol of two conflicting aspects of one person's identity. That's why you see a lot of evil twins about.

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: October 11, 2007 11:02AM

Having had to look after twin nephews when they were aged about 8 months i am constantly reminded of the sayinh about not confusing malice with incompetence.

If I had known what we were in for I think we would have eloped to Greenland or somewhere else like that rather than come back to Oz and get married.

Twins do not have to be evil - their mere existence is creates the absence of good.

<Hopes no philosophy lecturers are reading this or my Moral Philosphy studies are shot.>

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

A picture is worth a thousand words. A chocolate is worth a thousand pictures.

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.ru.ac.za)
Date: October 11, 2007 11:42PM

Heheh.

There is one set of twins here at Rhodes that still wear identical clothes. I wonder how common that is...? (ie: 20/21 year old twins still wearing the same clothes).

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.its.monash.edu.au)
Date: October 12, 2007 07:40AM

Maybe twins back in the dark days meant you were well off- social status sort of way...

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (---.frank1.vic.optusnet.com.au)
Date: October 14, 2007 07:46AM

That's the story I knew, house. I think her hair was cut off and tied to the window frame so the witch could catch the prince.
Personally, I'd blame Rapunzel's dad for willingly swapping his unborn baby for a apples (or whatever it was) to shut his wife up.

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.its.monash.edu.au)
Date: October 15, 2007 04:02AM

In some stories it is lettuce, others it is radish... go figure!

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.ru.ac.za)
Date: October 15, 2007 08:19AM

I like radishes. Wish I could get more of them.

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Date: October 16, 2007 12:30PM

Well, here in Victoria, they are easy to grow (that is when there is rain!)

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.range86-135.btcentralplus.com)
Date: October 18, 2007 10:10AM

I was reading about Rapunzel twins at the weekend...they are in the original Grimm story, as they were written for adults, as HouseInTheWoods relates. As the fairy tale changed to become suitable for children, the whole pregnancy thing was forgotten and the twins turn up at the end to rescue her.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.