New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Don't mention the name!
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.pool.einsundeins.de)
Date: October 13, 2007 04:57PM

I'm having a bit of a problem here... Yesterday, I was watching 'The Simpsons', and it was the episode about London, where they meet Ian McKellen and there is a parody of the superstition of actors about Macbeth, the don't-mention-the-name-or-something-bad-will-happen-thing. Now, where have I read about that before? Jasper Fforde? Terry Pratchett? Or am I just remembering the Simpsons-episode from long ago :-)?
If anybody can, thanks for helping me out!
Greetings,
Jo

Re: Don't mention the name!
Posted by: BibwitHart (---.rivernet.com.au)
Date: October 14, 2007 02:42AM

It is common I believe. Monty Python may have mentioned it though.

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: October 14, 2007 04:13AM

I've seen it mentioned a number of times--I got yelled at by an actor in my school's theatre for saying the name. The rule, as I know it, is that you can't say the name "Macbeth" while inside a theatre (unless you're performing the play), because the play is cursed. I know the "curse" is mentioned in the Reduced Shakespeare Company's Complete Works of Shakespeare (Abridged), and also fforumite Lady Teaspoon is named after it, in a roundabout way. Actually, that may be where you heard of it--she was explaining in some thread that she used to go by "Lady Macbeth", but then people warned her that she should call it the Scottish play instead, so she became Lady The-Scottish-Play, or Lady TSP for short. Hence, Lady Teaspoon. (Where IS Lady Teaspoon these days, anyway?)

Don't mention the name!
Posted by: zendao42 (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 14, 2007 04:21AM

Actors are nearly as superstitious as sailors, saying "break a leg" & all that...

I'd forgotten about that-
but it may be the reason that TOOTHLESS decided to name their song about Macbeth after the guy in the band that wrote it-
now I'll always wonder...

If you're throughly confused & curious,
click on MySpace below & look for the song on my profile...

Signature or shameless self-promotion?
You decide:

[www.myspace.com]

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (---.frank1.vic.optusnet.com.au)
Date: October 14, 2007 08:26AM

(Fond memories of the Blackadder episode...)

"hot potato, off his drawers, pluck to make amends.."

Date: October 14, 2007 11:10AM

Yes!!!! Must be Blackadder...I bought and watched the whole DVD set a couple of months ago. Thanks, Kitten! Saw the Reduced Shakespeare Company, too, but that was years ago... *wishes she could see them again*.
Thank you all for helping!
Jo

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.224.24.63.Dial1.Cincinnati1.Level3.net)
Date: October 14, 2007 07:52PM

Josie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
*wishes she could see
> them again*.

I dont know if you knew about this already but there is a Reduced Shakespeare Company DVD

[www.blockbuster.com]

Hope that helps!

Gavin

Posted by: Barefoot Andy (195.188.86.---)
Date: October 15, 2007 08:32AM

Yup, it's a common thing. Blackadder has it, Pratchett mentions that the story about Lord Felmut gets known as the Lancre play (I believe).

I though this was down to the fact that The Scottish Play was actually a popular crowd pleaser that performers got tired of doing, and so it was dark times indeed if they fell back on The Scottish Play. This may have morphed into a curse.

-------
Turn the silliness to eleven!

Date: October 15, 2007 10:03AM

Sounds logical.
I'd love to get the Reduced Shakespeare Company DVD, but it's a region 1...no use for my German dvd-player *sighs*.

Posted by: CannibalRabbit (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: October 15, 2007 01:01PM

From what I remember from studying it, there was a theory that Shakespeare included the curses / spells of real witches. In retaliation they cursed the production, and it is believed that any mention of the name will bring the curse on to the house where it is being played.
The other theory is that MacBeth is indeed a crowd-puller. When a production company was in trouble they would roll-out old faithful to try to save their falling fortunes. No doubt not all of them made it! Guilt by association - this was the last production of ####.

Date: October 16, 2007 12:38PM

Wasn't wearing green also bad? Goodness knows why!

Posted by: splat21 (195.33.121.---)
Date: October 16, 2007 03:22PM

It's a popular superstition in Britain anyway - dates back a long way. Various theories why: it was the colour of the fairies and if you wore it they could steal you away; in the theatre dating back to the fact that when performing outdoors wearing green doesn't exactly make you stand out; and (in my case) it was my first school uniform and hardly anyone likes wearing the colour of their school uniform after being forced into it for all those years...

The Shakespeare thing is meant to be because he actually incorporated real witchcraft into the play, and it's the spells themselves that are meant to cause trouble in productions of it. You don't name the thing you fear in case it draws attention to you - the nature of superstition, really.

Date: October 16, 2007 03:31PM

Dahling! You don't wear it because it's sooooo last season!

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.ru.ac.za)
Date: October 16, 2007 08:06PM

This title reminds me: you all just lost.

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Date: October 17, 2007 05:13AM

Dahling I am last season!

Date: October 17, 2007 09:34AM

MartinB, Maybe that's where it came from; Some Thespians associated the word MacBeth with playing the game, and so whenever someone said it they all lost! So it became best not to mention the name.

Obvious, really

-------
Turn the silliness to eleven!

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.range86-135.btcentralplus.com)
Date: October 17, 2007 02:15PM

What a fantastic episode of Blackadder that was. RSC are doing MacBeth at the mo'...Patrick Stewart starring. I might try and get tickets. Othello at the Donmar is also quite tempting...

Posted by: robert (61.88.131.---)
Date: October 18, 2007 12:54AM

I saw a production of MacBeth once where the theatre kept losing power and the stage would black out - usually just for 10 to 20 seconds. The first few times the actors stopped and then carried on again when the power was restored.
On about the 4th occasion, the actor playing MacBeth moved to the front of the stage (you could dimly see his outline) and, in his normal voice, said - in a ludicrous stage whisper - to the audience, "We're just going to carry on with the play through the blackouts and pretend it's not happening."
The announcement, to me, seemed to negate it's own intent and, had I known the concept at the time, I'm sure I would have been tempted to call out, "You just lost."

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: October 18, 2007 02:37PM

Patrick Stewart mentioned the Macbeth/Midsummer Nights Dream curse/antidote on Parkinson shown in Oz earlier this year.

Regarding blackout: When Close Encounters was first shown I lived in London and went to the cinema down Brixton Road near Tooting Bec. The film ran until the spaceship appeared then kept stopping. The manager came out in the darkness as the lights had failed as well and was greeted with calls of 'Is anybody there?'

Posted by: OC Not (---.238.61.41.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: October 19, 2007 08:01PM

(partially offtopic)

Next week I get to see my first RSC production! King Lear! Sir Ian McKellen! Can't wait!

(not at all excited about this. no, not at all.)

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.