New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Don't mention the name!
Posted by: PrinzHilde (---.dip0.t-ipconnect.de)
Date: November 06, 2007 06:06PM

I havn't said anything about solving problems, only about using technology regardless of it making sense.

Posted by: OC Not (---.238.61.41.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: November 06, 2007 07:33PM

Oh yes, I get you!

Posted by: robert (61.88.131.---)
Date: November 06, 2007 10:36PM

Haven't fingerprints always been digital?

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.109.---)
Date: November 07, 2007 09:10AM

<Da-boom CHING!>

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: November 09, 2007 03:13AM

Big brother (Orwellian Division- not idiot box version) attitudes by government and more importantly private enterprise make it even more essential that we do our best to ensure that full correct pictures of ourselves are not created in data banks etc.

To that end ensure that you use 'cash' in making purchases, and put the wrong details down on surveys. For instance, I am a 17 year old ex Vietnam veteran with 8th Army experience in the Western Desert, with a helicopter licence, wear prosthetic limbs and my seeing eye dog has a hearing aid and castors. My interests include being a singing lumberjack, crocheting Battenberg cake cosies and skateboarding through the Vatican naked while reciting 'Sam Hall'. Other than this I am quite normal.

Posted by: robert (61.88.131.---)
Date: November 09, 2007 03:25AM

An interesting sort of inverted identity-theft?

Date: November 09, 2007 07:52PM

Funny I was just talking to my brother about this the other day. He won't bank online and one of the reasons is those 'security questions' they ask now - he pointed out how easy it really is to find out that stuff - but I told him I already have fictitious answers to all of them.

I love calling my second grade teacher things like "Miss Creant" (and no that's not my security answer)...

Posted by: robcraine (---.mcb.net)
Date: November 09, 2007 10:59PM

I read an article on those two-tier log in systems. Apparently there is some sort of dorective that says banks should identify their customers in two different ways - eg type in your password (which only you should know) and then demonstrate that you have a random key code (which only you should have.) Or chip and pin.

But sending out chip readers, or random number generators are a bit expensive... and instead banks have decided to ask for your password (which only you should know) and your favourite colour (which only you should know... but other people can guess.)

ROb

------
That statement is either so deep it would take a lifetime to fully comprehend every particle of its meaning, or it is a load of absolute tosh. Which is it, I wonder?
Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: November 11, 2007 04:35PM

Next time the someone from the bank asks you for info to prove who you are, ask them to prove who they are first.

If you are in a branch of the bank, then they are likely to be genuine, but otherwise......

Date: November 12, 2007 06:04PM

So, here's what my brother had to say on his blog...

Any IT department that implements one of these “remind me of my password” systems is doing it for one simple reason: verifying someone’s identity is a difficult task. People forgetting their passwords and needing their credentials reset are a huge drain on IT departments - this sort of task (in any meaningful way) needs to be accomplished by someone trained to avoid social engineering techniques and know how to reasonably verify that someone is who they say they are. Most IT departments are strapped for resources as it is, they’re not going to do this job properly unless there is a real mandate to do it right.

Date: November 17, 2007 11:49AM

I had a brother in IT years ago and he said many of his coworkers used passwords like 'unknown' or 'errors' or (shudder) rude words as they were less likely to be forgotten.

reminds me of a story where the password was 'I don't know' so if a person in the know was asked they answered correctly.

Date: November 17, 2007 03:14PM

Unfortunately people using real words are the bane of any security system. Then in general, everything that the user community does is the bane of the security system, so that's alright, then, isn't it?

Date: November 17, 2007 03:15PM

IT sections are often the bane of the profit making divisions.

They often get the idea that the system is more important than the product.

Date: November 17, 2007 03:17PM

Isn't it?

Date: November 17, 2007 03:52PM

Only when the auditors find a problem.

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.ru.ac.za)
Date: November 17, 2007 04:53PM

Heheh. Randomly generated passwords are the best. Using real words is a bit dodgey...

Generally, anything that can be found in a dictionary is a bad idea. Ideally you also want to mix in numbers and, if the system is case-sensitive, capital and lowercase letters. But you know all this. :P

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Date: November 17, 2007 06:37PM

plus special characters (!"£$%^&*{}[])

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (---.ispone.net.au)
Date: November 18, 2007 12:18PM

Hmm... I sense a great disturbance in the force- Like a thousand braincells crying out for help, and then... Silence.

Posted by: OC Not (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: November 25, 2007 11:32AM

I fear Something Terrible Has Happened

Date: November 25, 2007 11:35AM

A random thought: is a Big Mac (tm) only half bad?

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.