New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Hello!
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.224.24.246.Dial1.Cincinnati1.Level3.net)
Date: October 14, 2007 05:51PM

Hello,

I'll introduce myself,

I'm Anton (as in TN's brother who was killed in the charge)

or to the non-fictional I'm known as Gavin

I'm 16, a fan of all things Fforde.

I'm a new to the board, well not just this one really, all message boards (exept for a small Stargate one called Ausgate) I have maintained a blog at starwars.com for some time and I decided to take the plunge into a(nother) message board

I am a bit of a Sci-Fi geek (I guess you could guess that from the fact that I pay to write a Star Wars blog)

I was only introduced to the Nextian world about two months ago when I saw Jasper (I'm sure there's some special nickname for him around here, I just havent seen it yet) Interviewed in BookPage for First Among Sequels. The words "Literary Detective" interested me as I had not read a original book in a long time.

I have read all of the TN books and I just finished TBOE and started reading The Fourth Bear.

I am a fan of many things (most of which are British)

Monty Python,Douglas Adams,Star Wars,Harry Potter,Blackadder (or anything with Rowan Atkinson pretty much)

Simon Pegg, Edgar Wright* and Nick Frost, I loved Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, and who could forget DANGER 50,000 VOLTS!

EDIT: Here is a revised list: Women, children, red indians,space men, and a kind of idealised version of the complete Ren..... oh, wait, wrong list.

Firefly, The Office (The BBC version more so than our watered down version) Dad's Army, Vicar of Dibly, The Last Detective, All Creatures Great and Small, Friends (mostly for Chandler), Coupling (kinda goes with Friends, being almost the same show and all) Passport to Europe,I'm a sucker for Travel Channel stuff, Guess which country I liked the best....

The Thin Blue Line "I'm and Alien, Get Used to it!", I actualy laughed harder at the 'Allo allo allo! from Goody just before that joke. The only downside to Brit TV that I see is that they are so short, I felt bad breaking the news to my Dad that that was, in fact, the final episode of The Thin Blue Line <shakes head to get the theme song to stop playing>

My fear subsided slightly when I first found out that what is called a "series" over in the U.K is a "season" to the U.S, its not the entirety of the show

Also the BBC, or to be specific, BBC DVD's, I dont get cable so I have not seen the BBC for real but my library have a few BBC productions including Jane Eyre!

Oh, and if you can find it, Rowan Atkinson Live is Amazing!

And Finaly, the great Terry Pratchett

Actualy I found Terry because of Jasper, I was looking around the shelves of my local public library for a TN audiobook and I grabbed The Colour of Magic to try it out and loved it, when I went back to get another audiobook I turned around and right there at eye level was a long, colorful sea of Discworld novels down an entire shelf, i've been reading Fforde and Terry simultaniously ever since.

Well, this was a fun first post. I hope to do many more ( and maybe some of them will have actual meaning to them :D )

*Possible Vyrus attack

Happy Blogging... oops...

Happy Posting everyone!

Anton

AKA Gavin

AAKA Darthcharlie32 at [blogs.starwars.com]

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2007 01:25AM by Anton.

Re: Hello!
Posted by: nemades (---.range86-131.btcentralplus.com)
Date: October 14, 2007 09:02PM

Welcome, I am sure Skids or someone will be along with tea, cakes, pies (sweet and savory but I can't remember which is to the left or the right) and all manner of other yummy things in no time at all.
I'll supply you with chocolate cake and irn-bru in the interim.

:)

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.225.87.182.Dial1.Cincinnati1.Level3.net)
Date: October 14, 2007 10:03PM

yes, I did see mention of pie somewhere....

Thanks for the welcome, I've been wandering around and I can safely say that I love this place, the only other message board i've been on was huge, with thousands of people, from what I gathered from a interview with Fforde there are not many more than a thousand Nextians (what a great word!) around here.

Funny little sidenote on my first Nextian (there it is again) experince.

I was looking at the Something Rotten special features and I just about laughed my head off, somewhere on there Jasper said

"since I always felt that jumping between the worlds was slightly confusing if done more than a few times, I set this book almost entirely in Swindon in much the same way that WOLP was set in the BookWorld. (Pity the poor reader catapulted into Lost in a Good Book without having any idea of what the series was about!)"

The thing is, I was one of those poor readers! TEA was checked out of the library so I grabbed Lost. But years of Monty Python and the blurb on the back of the book that said "Thursday Next is a combination of Monty Python, Stephen Hawking, Harry Potter, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer" which got me fired up because I like all those! And I dove in, getting used to the ever changing material, I had the feeling the whole time that there was a good backstory to all this... and there was!

My reading was a bit like this

Lost in a Good Book

The Well of Lost Plots

Something Rotten

The Eyre Affair

Survivor's Quest

The Colour of Magic

The Light Fantastic

First Among Sequels

I am now reading,LIAGB (becaused I died a death on the quiz in Pickwicks Funatorium) The Last Hero, Equal Rites, Harry Potter 5, The Long Dark Tea-time of the soul, and The Ultimate Hitchiker's Guide (this is what happens when you frequent used book stores, Paperbackswap, and the public library)

Hello!
Posted by: zendao42 (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 14, 2007 11:19PM

I haven't been around here long enough to know where they keep the sweet pies-
but let me offer you some cocoa for a welcome, as that's my specialty elsewhere...

Let me shock you by saying that I'm one of the 3 people on the planet that hasn't seen Star Wars, which my bf thinks is especially weird,
not just because he is also a SF geek (don't get him started on Dr. Who)-
but mostly because I was at the movies when the 1st one came out & we went to see a different movie because the lines were too long...

Eventually, he'll make me watch Star Wars, but I'll make him watch Spinal Tap first-
I think it's even weirder that he hasn't seen that one!

I'm mostly a bookworm anyway, what can I say?

I also read Lost in a Good Book first, but that's because it had just come out-
the concept & comparisons to Hitchhiker's Guide intrigued me (that's also what got me started on Christopher Moore- oh well, wrong board for that)
so I went back & read the first right after that & then had to wait a while for more...

I just re-read all of the first 4 books & it's back to the library with me on Tuesday-
our best local used book store just closed this summer, so my options are a bit limited at the moment...

See you in the Chat!

Signature or shameless self-promotion?
You decide:

[www.myspace.com]

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.225.83.154.Dial1.Cincinnati1.Level3.net)
Date: October 15, 2007 12:20AM

I just started watching the new Dr Who!

And I have not seen Spinal Tap either........ *Dramatic Chord*

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.its.monash.edu.au)
Date: October 15, 2007 04:09AM

Hooray! Hello,
I'm also known as Eve.
Welcome! Cake and pies are frequently available.

Posted by: OC Not (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: October 15, 2007 05:07AM

Welcome!

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.ru.ac.za)
Date: October 15, 2007 08:24AM

Hi. Ignore the Aussies if you can (there are too many of them now...).

Other than that, I think that the fforum is a simply lovely place.

You know, you sound a lot like me at 16. Except I read fast enough that I was only reading one book at a time. Except when I put one down and forgot about repeatedly. Ended up reading about 5 at the same time. (I have lots of eyes and hands to turn pages.:P)

Special names for Fforde? About the only common one is "The Double Consonantly One" used mostly by Kitten.

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.224.24.164.Dial1.Cincinnati1.Level3.net)
Date: October 15, 2007 01:51PM

I knew there must be one! It may be obscure but its there! Over a SW.com the popular ones for Lucas are "The Maker" and "O Flanneled One" (because of the flannel shirts)

Hello!
Posted by: zendao42 (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 15, 2007 06:20PM

Anton Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I just started watching the new Dr Who!
>
> And I have not seen Spinal Tap either........
> *Dramatic Chord*
-------------------------------------------------------

*cranks it up to 11*

Oh yes, that must be remedied!

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.224.24.7.Dial1.Cincinnati1.Level3.net)
Date: October 15, 2007 07:46PM

I'll keep an eye out for it at the library.

I did a little edit to add some Brits that I left out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2007 07:47PM by Anton.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.224.24.7.Dial1.Cincinnati1.Level3.net)
Date: October 15, 2007 08:49PM

All the baked goods here and not a single slice of Battenberg?!?

And you call yourselfs Ffans.....or Ffordians.......or Nextian......or Shakespeare...

The effect of the shocked pause went away after the second time time didn't it?

I'll go look for it......Never Mind!

Posted by: OC Not (---.238.61.41.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: October 15, 2007 09:45PM

<calibrates sling-shot>

<flings battenberg>

Posted by: nemades (---.range86-131.btcentralplus.com)
Date: October 15, 2007 11:16PM

I believe there is an entire thread devoted to Battenburg so I am sure they can sort you out for some! Afraid I am a chocolate cake kinda girl. I watched Nigella's express cooking tonight and I am quite keen to try her chocolate chip cookies, they looked quite yummy!

I tend to do the whole multi book thing on ly work has been so hectic lately that I am lucky to get any done, currently reading Reaper Man (again) and Seeing Red. About due to re-visit some David Eddings though.

Posted by: Barefoot Andy (195.188.86.---)
Date: October 16, 2007 09:07AM

Battenberg is implicit, and all around: Look, there's some under this sofa, here!

We tend to overdose on Battenberg, which is why we prefer tea and toast. If you eat too much battenberg you develop a patchwork pattern on your chest, and look like you're wearing a jumper.

-------
Turn the silliness to eleven!

Date: October 16, 2007 03:23PM

Well, I find it does not go with my spotted jumper.

Clashes horribly. So I stick to stuff without layers and/or squares.

Posted by: splat21 (195.33.121.---)
Date: October 16, 2007 03:31PM

Me too. Plus who keeps cake under the sofa? You know the cat will have licked it by now. Though I'd feed Battenburg to the cats, if only they'd eat it...

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.225.80.234.Dial1.Cincinnati1.Level3.net)
Date: October 16, 2007 05:47PM

<catches flung Battenberg as deftly as one can catch a piece of airborn baked goods>
Ahhhh... the message board food fights...

<remembers the amazing Jello Wars of Ausgate>

We had some high-tec food delivery devices back then, the Jello Bazooka was a favorite, along with cannons, grenades, squirt guns, and the odd bizzare form of gelatin (such as concrete) nice to be in a place where the worse food related injury would be cakey hair and a wounded pride (who can be proud when Battenberg is in their hair?)

Slingshots are a bit unpridictable though.... <goes off to find a cooler method of launching person to person battenberg projectiles>

Date: October 16, 2007 08:10PM

I use a teleporter. I find accuracy is not an issue and there is no chance of dodging.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.225.86.143.Dial1.Cincinnati1.Level3.net)
Date: October 16, 2007 08:31PM

good one

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.