New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Hello!
Posted by: robert (61.88.131.---)
Date: November 01, 2007 10:15PM

"Hamish MacBeth", now that was a great show. I loved the 'pomade' episode - can say no more or I'd be a spoiler.

Posted by: OC Not (---.238.61.41.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: November 01, 2007 11:20PM

Help! was on Sundance channel night before last. I can say no more.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.225.83.169.Dial1.Cincinnati1.Level3.net)
Date: November 02, 2007 01:29AM

Stop naming Shows! I know Blockbuster Online does not have many British* shows! And when they do it takes a while, I want to see "A Bit of Fry and Laurie" sooooooo bad but it is on Long Wait

In Other news. I finaly updated my list on the first post.

*I recently got shot down, I was so excited that they had Terry Pratchett's Soul Music, then the next day they removed it from the system!

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.225.83.169.Dial1.Cincinnati1.Level3.net)
Date: November 02, 2007 01:35AM

Disregard the last post, continue to name at will, I'll endure the pain and write them down somewhere, I'll find a way to watch them

My lobby for getting cable or satilite TV has started up again, but I'm having trouble, we could get the @#$%& one if we gave up Blockbuster, I might be able to handle that with the free DVR thingy on the deal, but the package that includes BBC America (or maybe the real BBC is available in the "International" channels) costs double. And the fact that a friend of the family used to have the Dish and it went down at the first sign of rain shoots down the idea, thar be some rain down here in The Bluegrass State

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: November 03, 2007 11:29AM

Anton,

might I suggest a lifestyle that allows you to spend some time in the YUK, or even OZ or Kiwifruitland, as it appears that even us colonials within the olde empitre still get things faster than does the New World.

Come to Oz - a pie floater isn't sufficient deterrent to a dedicated Beeb watcher.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.109.---)
Date: November 05, 2007 01:09PM

And we don't have those *everywhere* throughout the country.

Date: November 09, 2007 03:45AM

Not yet, but like cane toads and the AFL, its only a matter of time.

Date: November 09, 2007 07:47PM

I wonder how hard it would really be to emigrate? Gawd a lot of my stuff would get thrown away if I did...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2007 09:36PM by OC Not.

Date: November 10, 2007 11:36AM

Not really. There's a huge market for imported stuff among the intellectually challenged in Oz.. Bring it out and sell it - make a fortune.

Just keep the valuables to yourself.

Posted by: 198505 (---.cable.ubr04.pres.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: November 10, 2007 12:46PM

And I'm back, my PC went bang over the weekend and now I've got a new one!
Hello !

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blood! Death! War! Rumpy pumpy! Triumph!

Date: November 12, 2007 05:46PM

Hi numbers! Ah, how I wish I had a new PC...

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.ru.ac.za)
Date: November 13, 2007 05:51AM

AFL.... The most bizarre perversion of rugby that I have ever seen aside from Yank football.

Apologies for the sudden absence. Ubuntu updated and used about 3 times my allowed quota so I was cut off for two weeks.

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Posted by: robert (61.88.131.---)
Date: November 13, 2007 11:36PM

I'm not sure that I want to defend AFL per se - when I were a lad growing up in NSW the Victorians' insistence on ignoring Rugby League (instead, playing what we refered to as aerial ping-pong) was seen as a sure sign of their degeneracy as a separate Australian race.

However, if we are talking about 'perversions' then surely picking up the soccer ball and running with it was the first perversion (perpetrated by some cove at Rugby School, if legend has it right). Moreover, making the main aim the scoring of tries (aka: touchdowns) by flopping over a line when in possession of the ball, instead of the kicking of goals is perhaps an even greater perversion of the original game.

AFL, for all its faults (that absolutely no-one understands the rules, being the main one) at least removes the latter rugbyesque perversion by returning the game to its goal-kicking roots... though allowing a point for missing is admittedly curious.

Date: November 14, 2007 06:44AM

Re Aussie Rules.

The original inventors, whoever they were (since seeing a program on ABC about the inclusion of a aboriginal game which used a stuffed possum skin as a ball and which was kicked to a person further down the ground) included the 'behinds' posts for a very specific reason. That is the encouragement of old jokes.

For example:

Two old ladies seeing their first Aussie Rules match and one of them said to the other 'We must go now'. The other lady asked: 'Why?'. The first old lady replied 'Because I just heard one of these supporters say 'We've only kicked five behinds since half time' and I don't want to get away before they reach us.

But if you like perversions consider the Awfully Fatuous Lot who allow carrying forward of past nonAFL history into the AFL era - eg The Brownlow Medal - and allowing Victorian clubs to brag about their VFL histories as though they were AFL but denying Port Adelaide the same right.

I think AFL will be nonexistent in fifteen years as it masturbates itself right out of public favour and the individual states return to their local competitions with a new national league of club games as is done with SBS type football.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

A picture is worth a thousand words. A chocolate is worth a thousand pictures.

Date: November 14, 2007 11:23PM

I remember when ESPN first started they didn't have enough content to fill the 24 hour period (only one SportsCenter per day, imagine!) and so they used to show "Australian Rules Football" a lot. My dad and I loved to watch it - it seemed so utterly insane compared to ours...

Date: November 14, 2007 11:37PM

Which is soo much saner.... :P

Date: November 15, 2007 12:56PM

Sanity is defined by the normal behaviour of the culture against which the individual's actions are compared. Back in the USSR the Russians used this definition for, as they said, that dissidents would be crazy to become public focusses. So those who did were sent to mental institutions.

American football is not crazy. It is a public demonstration of phone box stuffing, except that there is less point. What other game replaces most of the team depending on whether they are going forwards or backwards. I think that this is partly to blame for the cock ups of American military endeavours in Viet Nam, Iraq, Afghanistan, etc, because the soldiers expect to swap over depending on whether they are shooting or being shot at.

This is not to denigrate individual soldiers who performed admirably on the whole, just the management systems and attitudes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2007 01:24PM by bunyip.

Date: November 16, 2007 12:38AM

bunyip Wrote:
--------------------

> What other game replaces most of the team depending on whether they are going forwards or backwards. <

I will have to mention that next Sunday. Hysterical! Oh well, I've liked many a stupider thing (no really, I have)...

Date: November 17, 2007 02:30AM

Heh. They actually got one of our kickers in the early/mid nineties in. He failed miserably....

But the game makes no sense to me. Line two groups of people up and say "Go!" (or "hut!" or whatever it is...) and they charge into each other. If you are going to do it properly, give them sticks to hit each other with.

Posted by: OC Not (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: November 17, 2007 07:11AM

I know it's stupid but the gladiatorishness gets me.

Plus Peyton Manning is so dosh garn cute with his little commercials...

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.