New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Re: free 2nd ed of FAS
Posted by: nettie63 (89.241.174.---)
Date: October 28, 2007 11:32PM

Hello All

Ive just read the upgrade page again and got the bit about how to get a free 2nd ed of FAS. (Don't know how I missed it the first time, was in shock I think!)
Am I being thick or do they REALLY espect us to tear out our title pages of the 1st ed and post it to them, for a free copy? They must be mad.

Thankfully, I always wait till they come out in PB and buy a reading copy, then tuck up my hardback safely in bed FOREVER!!!! (Can you hear the manic laughter?)

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: October 29, 2007 06:40PM

Since there aren't that many footnotes anyway, I just keep the page with the footnotes in the book as a bookmark. I say keep it, don't tear out the title page!

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.rivernet.com.au)
Date: October 30, 2007 03:24AM

Have you seen people who FOLD and WRINKLE each page as they are reading it????????
Book torture!

Posted by: robert (61.88.131.---)
Date: October 30, 2007 03:46AM

When I finish every left hand page, I usually rip out that sheet and throw it away. I find that it really saves on shelf space when all you have left are the front and back covers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2007 03:55AM by robert.

Date: October 30, 2007 03:51PM

I'm so upset! I was reading a truly excellent book in pristine paperback, and I had it in my supposedly waterproof backpack as I walked through the rain to the bus stop. Well, turns out the backpack is not waterproof, and half the book got soaked! Now it's been three days and it's still not fully dried out!

Posted by: OC Not (---.238.61.41.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: October 30, 2007 05:01PM

I am a corner-folder. It drives my brother mad. He refuses to lend me some of his out-of-print sci-fi unless I solemnly swear not to do it.

Posted by: nettie63 (89.241.174.---)
Date: October 30, 2007 05:18PM

Like you, OC, I used to be a corner folder (which is where we get the phrase 'dog eared' from I think) but my other half reverenced his books so much that, when we were first together he was so shocked to see me do it he almost wretched - like you suddenly find the guy (or girl) you're falling for picks his/her nose and wipes it on the chair or eats it!!!
Anyway, for the sake of our relationship, I had to start buying bookmarks, and now I have a tidy,eclectic collection in a draw. I choose them to match either my mood or the type of stroy I'm reading - how sad it that?

Posted by: nemades (---.range86-149.btcentralplus.com)
Date: October 30, 2007 11:37PM

Oh believe me that is nothing - for reading Eldest, the sequal of Eragon I cut up some shimmery red card (to match the new dragon) with rounded pinking shears that loooked like dragon scales and layered them down some card to make my very own dragon scale book mark for the book. Twas quite effective but really taking things a step too far. I do like a nice colourful book mark though and now with the advent of a laminator coming into my life for prep. the possibilites are endless!

Posted by: CannibalRabbit (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: October 31, 2007 10:57AM

I tend to go with the functional bookmark, tickets (train and plane) and receipts, and the odd real bookmark - I've got some nice Mildura ones I found from a trip there a few years ago. Makes for a nice trip down memory lane, or a reminder of what you were doing when you last read the book.

Posted by: robert (61.88.131.---)
Date: October 31, 2007 10:33PM

I won't say anything about using toilet paper bookmarks then.

Date: November 01, 2007 12:27AM

Well that's okay as long as they haven't been used for anything *else*.

A friend of mine is fond of straw wrappers, actually.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.132.---)
Date: November 01, 2007 08:04AM

Bus and train tickets for me too. Or the occasional snickers wrapper.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.