New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
A Colourful Discovery
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.225.86.85.Dial1.Cincinnati1.Level3.net)
Date: November 07, 2007 06:03PM

Recently I finished The Fourth Bear, the very last Fforde Book I had not read.

To cope with the long wait for the next book I have turned to the Discworld books, And they help ease the pain.

Being the nerd I am, I'm not content with just reading the books, so I started poking around the internet after I noticed that my library's copy of Hogfather had a sticker that said "Now A Major T.V Movie!"

My initial escapades are chronicled on a previous thread so I'll skip over that part.

But I found some exciting tidbits of movie info that I cant keep to myself.

When I was looking around for any news about a U.S release of Hogfather I registered with the IMDb so I could read the boards. Turns out that I like the IMDb. I have not posted on the boards and I dont think I will, the internet-negative-self-taught movie critic may be a stereotype but they are out there. But there are alot of nice people out there (It does me heart good to see that Firefly has a 9.1 rating)

I went back to the Pratchett boards to look around and I saw one entitled Worst Casting Ever? I clicked on it for GSD knows why and discovered that it was, in fact, about the newest Discworld TV extravagaza

The Colour of Magic!

I'm sure the britts out there know this by now but I was astounded, Hogfather must have been a big hit! They have signed some big names like Tim Curry(YES!) Sean Astin and Christopher Lee, Big money!*

I personaly have no complaints about the casting decisions, I sadly admit that I have no idea who most of the people are (although I see that I will get to get a glimpse of the actor slated for Rincewind in Hogfather)

So now, apparantly, I'll have to do a repeat of the Hogfather fiasco to find the US TCOM DVD.

Also, I found a release date for Fanboys.

If you like Star Wars (Forget about the bad taste from Episodes 1 & 2, I'm talking about the original Trilogy) and you do not know about Fanboys, you're in for a treat

I got to see 45 minutes of footage of this movie at Star Wars Celebration IV in L.A (and you lucky people across the pond got to see a whole early cut of it at Celebration Europe) It was the third best movie experince of my life (Seeing A New hope on a Ginourmous screen is #1)

Fanboys is set in 1999, when a member of a group of nerds who have been into Star wars since they were kids tells them that he has cancer, they set off on a road trip across the country, ending with them breaking into Skywalker Ranch and trying to steal a copy of Episode One, before it is released.

The movie is essentialy a very good R rated Teen comedy with a non-stop barrage of both in and obvious Star Wars jokes.

When the showing was over someone asked the question "When Will it be released?"

One of the lead actors said Febuary, causing a groan from over 200 people. Somewhere I found a tenative release date (its not from any offical place, just a IMDb board) of Jan 14th, 2008

Oh, and on the subject of Star Wars related movies, I have to point out an amazing film to watch out for.

The title is 5/25/77, if that date seems familiar, it is the day that Star wars was released to the public. At the Convention me and my mom kept noticing the 5/25 booth on the collectors floor, we ended up skipping a panel to go see an entire early cut of this movie.

In a dark theatre on the second floor of the LA Convention Center, A temporary theatre with speakers so powerful that they vibrated light fixtures off the ceiling downstairs, The producer of the first star wars, Gary Kurtz, explained that this movie is a true story, based on this man's life.(Well, a few months of it)

An amazing turn of events ended with the this man, Pat Johnson, being lead up a flight of stairs by one young John Dykstra to show him a very early cut of Star Wars. Black and White, no music or sound effects, but it still changed his life.

Kurtz explained that he wanted to show 5/25/77** to and audience in the same state that Pat did. The cut I saw had temp music, none of the green screens were finished, and the picture quality looked like a bootleg DVD. But I was still astounded. I won't give any more details, it is to good of a movie.

One last thing, instead of continualy updating the favorites list on Hello as I continue to find shows, I have made my IMDb lists public. Check them out! I am still adding to them.

DVD's I own

Seen, But dont own

Must See

Have a Good Day!

*I do realise that Lee was Death in the cartoo....sorry "Animated features", but he did not return in Hogfather.

** Thanks to some great scheduling, 5/25/77 was shown to the public for the first time one the 30th birthday of Star Wars, 5/25/07

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.