New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Closer to Hogswatch and all's Well!
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.225.87.15.Dial1.Cincinnati1.Level3.net)
Date: November 14, 2007 07:09PM

(If you're expecting anything about WOLP in this post because the word well is capitalised in the title,prepare to be dissapointed)

Hello all!

My My this has been a great week, so many things have happened!

I got a U.S version of The Light Fantastic (the cover is strange, it looks like a Janet Evanovich book) from PBS

I ordered meself a U.K copy of Something Rotten (the book version of a Unrated director's cut DVD) and the U.K Paperback version of Hogfather that I bought off of eBay is here! The Josh Kirby cover is beautiful!

Something happend which could have been a downer but it turned out all right. I went into Borders yesterday, thinking that Hogfather was going to be there.

I was briefly distracted by the British TV section,it almost made me cry. Four whole sections dedicated to U.K TV. Then I saw that the jerks wanted $99.99 for season one of Dr Who (2005) and walked off.

A man who was stocking the shelves with Ocean's Thirteen asked me if he could help. I told him and less than two minutes later he had pulled up the info on the computer that said Hogfather will be at the store on the 20th.

I asked "Is there any specific time that you all* will have it out?"
He said that he usualy will have them out as soon as they get them, so they should have it out by 9.am, as he said 9 he knocked on the wood counter and smiled. I walked out of there in a better mood than I went in.

Then I top it off, we stopped at a friend of our's house and I took over their computer while mom chatted. I got on YouTube and found some Terry Pratchet Interviews and a Rincewind Fan film that i'll have to check out later, a couple of Jasper Fforde clips, and best of all, Hogfather clips! Even in such bad quality Death looks AMAZING!

They seemed to have pulled off both The Death of Rats and HEX with flying colors.

I quite liked the man who plays Albert (slated to play Rincewind In TCOM, and the focus of a IMDb thread entitled "Worse casting ever?")

Oh, I almost forgot, Thanks to a little thing called ILL (Inter-Library Loan) I have now seen Soul Music! TWICE!

Overall I say Hogfather, or, the ten minutes i've seen of it, Is far far Better Looking** than Soul Music

Now I have to prepare for Thanksgiving and start my X-mas List (more for me than anyone, got to remember what I want to pester friends and family for!)

+++++ DEAR HOGFATHER+++++
+++I WOULD LIKE A....

Happy Holidays!

*Yes, not all Kentuckians say Ya'll, but I do say our perverted version of Howdy (Hidy) now and again

**I'm not saying its better, I like the story of Soul Music, and the story of Hofather is very different. My parents have no gripe with the animation, but the little negitive nerd in me who groans when I watch Flintstones or Scooby Doo keeps shouting "IT LOOKS LIKE A FLASH CARTOON!"

Re: Closer to Hogswatch and all's Well!
Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.ru.ac.za)
Date: November 14, 2007 11:37PM

I was not *that* impressed with Death to be honest. Everything else worked about as well as can be expected in this sort of thing (which is another story altogether) but Death somehow left me cold.

Not sure why though. You never see that he is a skeleton maybe? *shrug* Not really sure.

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Posted by: CannibalRabbit (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: November 15, 2007 11:50AM

Perhaps it's because in the books Death appears as what you expect "him" to be - as described by Pterry an Anthropomorphic Personsification. Hopefully I got the spelling right. In the film he is a the way he appears to someone else - not the you would expect Death.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.225.84.217.Dial1.Cincinnati1.Level3.net)
Date: November 15, 2007 01:18PM

I just found something funny, in the back of the Hogfather U.K edition there is a advert for the Discworld fan club, with a illustration of Death holding Death of Rats, and they look dead on with the Hogfather versions!

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (---.ispone.net.au)
Date: November 17, 2007 02:31PM

Check out "Run Rincewind Run" on youtube. It's a perfect Rincewind moment. Although there's an amazon chick who can't act her way out of a paper bag, she has a skimpy outfit, so it's okay.

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.ru.ac.za)
Date: November 17, 2007 03:59PM

Skimpy outfit? Where? *clickes linke*

Hmmm.... Wet paper bag maybe.

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.225.84.30.Dial1.Cincinnati1.Level3.net)
Date: November 17, 2007 04:46PM

That was the "rincewind fan film" I mentioned (I forgot the title) The sound was turned down low, I only heard something about "There's trees all around!!" and something involving a root vegatable. I did see the Amazon, even with sucky sound she exuded "I'm one of the friends who cant act but got talked into doing some fan film"

By the way, I dont know if its on the offical site or anything but on YouTube at the very start of RRR there is a short clip of Terry doing "a deformed rabbit" shadow puppet with the projector!

Date: November 18, 2007 12:13PM

Hee hee, and three hundred geeks lost it!
<Wanders merrily down memory lane>

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: November 19, 2007 12:26AM

only saw the first half of Run Rincewind Run, the amazons certainly can't act! ^_^
Rincewind had a suitably scraggly beard though.

Date: November 19, 2007 01:40AM

I reckon Rincewind was spot on. He sounded right, looked right, and kept up the character for SO long. His outfit was sold at the charity auction for (I think) AU$180. A steal really, because it didn't reach the cost of materials needed to make it. I'm spewing I didn't have enough money to buy anything at that event. Aside from a couple of Ian Stewart's old Amazing Science Fiction Monthly booklets and a couple of old sci-fi pulp novels.

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.rivernet.com.au)
Date: November 19, 2007 06:36AM

Ah well, would you have worn it if you got the robes? I do think the fellow could have been a little skinnier- he looked like he wasn't hungry. Maybe if he had starved for a week! I'll watch the other half another day.
I got to chat to my bro in America live video on skype, was really cool!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.