New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 4 of 9
Re: Whats the oldest book you've got?
Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.isnet.net)
Date: December 21, 2007 06:39PM

Shakespeare's only direct descendant was a granddaughter I think.

Ali! Welcome back!

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Posted by: MuseSusan (149.106.224.---)
Date: December 22, 2007 12:12AM

So Shakespeare didn't have any sons or daughters but went straight to having a granddaughter? How did that work?

Think my oldest book is probably a history of mathematics book from the late 1800s that I picked up when my school library was having a book sale. But I'm not sure if I still have it.

Date: December 22, 2007 01:12PM

:P Pedant.

Furthest removed direct descendant then.

Welcome back to you too Muse.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 23, 2007 04:04AM

Hello, This is my first post to the forum. My Oldest book is a Vanity poetry book by Jane Roseboom 1869. I only skimed it the poems in the front of the book are mostly doggrel thou at the end she is showing more maturity.

Posted by: OC Not (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: December 23, 2007 05:02AM

Yay Muse hi!

Welcome to fforum Bursar!

I forgot to mention, my parents have a complete set of Encyclopedia Brittanica from 1913. I already made sure that it comes to me in The Will...

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: December 23, 2007 01:09PM

Welcome TBD! Help yourself to pie, but try not to get crumbs in the pages. If you must, then the shortcrust will cause less damage than the flaky.

Ali! How are you?

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.130.---)
Date: December 23, 2007 02:35PM

If you don't do pies, I'm sure there are plenty of dried frog pills about.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: December 24, 2007 04:27AM

Thank you, my sister got after the death of our father the Childresn World Book Encycopidia I think was in the 1920s or so. Very intresting it had puzzles rather long descriptions of subjects for a childrens encylopedia. My mother has a home medical book published in the 1920s and was a reprint for state of the art for the 1880s or 1890s or so it explained how to make a mustard poltace ect. I got her a more moderen one.

Im not too fond of pie so i guess i would have to take the dried frog pills. And im resonably fine for someone who has to take my own version of the dried frog pills. I have Major Depression. So how are all of you? By the way for any English here while i was looking for the book i first mentioned i also found a book titled About England by M V Huges 1928 by William and Morrow and Co a small bound book. I dont remeber where i did get it. It is a bit fragile, but now that i know i have it i will read it.

Posted by: HouseInTheWoods (81.102.13.---)
Date: December 24, 2007 10:40AM

OK, what's the story behind your name? And would you like some tea with your pie?

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: December 24, 2007 11:55AM

Welcome Bursar,

if you are off pie and dried frog pills at the side of the room frequented by antipodeans there are deep fried mars bar and pie floater.

Othe rbooks on England which may still be read with pleasure are '1066 and All That' by Sellars and Yeatman, and also 'And Now All This' which has a large section devoted to 'exporto grass'..... Also a book titled 'This England' which is composed of extracts from press cuttings and magazine stories of the Septic Isles. Quite revealing and mystifying.

Having read them before I went to the UK the first time I found them most helpful.

You are not alone in the fforums with the Black Dog. I have suffered from it all my life and have a collection of little white pills that are becoming somewhat well known due to the pills of other colours with whom they associate. My particular form is caused by a problem with the seratonin levels in the brain not being adequate due to a dysfunctional body. When this is remedied I'm as sane as the next person - but only if I chose who the next person is.

Since the statistics indicate that about one in three persons suffers from some serious form of depression in their lives I would guess that there are other sufferers of it in the fforums who are living with it. I hope you've got it under control and can live without the worst effects arising.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2007 01:22PM by bunyip.

Date: December 24, 2007 11:38PM

Thank you,House in The Woods the first time i read Alice Through the Looking Glass and What She Found There. When it came to the point where Alice entered the Woods of No Name insted of meeting the Fawn right away. She met an old guy at a desk. They had a short converstaion (He asked what she wanted. She replied about not knowing her name or where she was.) He summoned the Fawn to help her and from that point it went on as normal.

The man was basicly a glorified receptionist of some sort. Which in our part of the US can also be called a busar.

Posted by: nemades (---.range86-131.btcentralplus.com)
Date: December 24, 2007 11:46PM

My granny just gave my dad a trio of books about some English guy's travels in the heathen lands north of Berwick! I think they date back from the late 1700s or early 1800s, I will check so as I still live at hiome I can share them by default!

That is such a great name, so nothing to do with the Bursar who partakes in dried frog pills?

I didn't know that about the word Bursar, you live and learn!

Date: December 24, 2007 11:47PM

Thank you bunyip, i basicly get allong thouh i suffer more in the concentration department. I do not know if mine is serotoin based or not. And i had it since i was 14. It does make me identify with fictional charcaters that are depressed. Ill have to look at some of my stored books to see if i do have anything older.

Date: December 25, 2007 04:27AM

nope im not that bursar nemads but i do take my own version of the dried frog pills. And about that far as i can tell that is a meaning of bursar but it has been a while since i heard it used. Any way i wonder if jasper fforde got his idea by somthing similar happining to him.

Date: December 25, 2007 06:44PM

They concentration departments now? I wonder if they go camping....

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.104.---)
Date: December 27, 2007 12:43PM

The fire-side songs would be interesting.

Date: December 27, 2007 06:55PM

I suspect they probably eat more beans than usual which causes an abundance of gas.

Posted by: OC Not (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: December 28, 2007 07:09AM

And you know, the instructions tell you not to take those Coleman lanterns in the tent with you...verrrry dangereuse.

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: December 28, 2007 01:05PM

Heya! I like your story of how you got your name. I love those Alics in Wonderland novels, nothing quite like it these days, except for Jasper of course!

If you have any clay or Al2O3 related queries, I'll be happy to help.

Additionally fish oil is meant to be very beneficial.

Date: December 28, 2007 06:06PM

Sillimanite, Kyanite or Andelusite? (Hope I got those right....)

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 4 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.