New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 6 of 9
Re: Whats the oldest book you've got?
Posted by: robert (61.88.131.---)
Date: January 30, 2008 10:45PM

Australia Day is January 26 which happened to be Saturday. As far as I know, everyone got the public holiday for it (that is, in lieu of Saturday) on the Monday: the 28th (except for my wife, who believes that it was in honour of her birthday).

NSW, being the most intelligent state, was not fooled into thinking that the holiday Monday was Australia Day, because we know how to check the dates on a calendar. Thus we celebrated Australia Day on its proper date, Saturday, and scored the holiday as well. At this very moment, calendar missionaries from NSW are being organised to be sent out into the other states to spread the message of how to tell what day it is. Tasmania will not be included in this for the obvious reason that some goals are simply unobtainable.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.107.---)
Date: January 31, 2008 03:32AM

Keep sending those missionaries. They go down a treat with a bit of tomato sauce.
(Ever had a pie at the footy?)

Posted by: OC Not (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2008 11:29AM

(Nope)
(What's that when it's at home?)

Posted by: 198505 (---.cable.ubr04.pres.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: February 02, 2008 11:51AM

Footie- Association Football, soccer.
The pies there are some of the worst you can get anywhere, mostly along the lines of CMOT Dibbler containing genuine pig

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.132.---)
Date: February 02, 2008 02:18PM

Nonononono! I didn't mean soccer, I meant *footie*, as in PROPER footy. Not that silly european game. :P

This one: [www.youtube.com]

WARNING: May contain violence.

Posted by: 198505 (---.cable.ubr04.pres.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: February 02, 2008 02:45PM

If thats Aussie rules it will contain violence.

'Click'

Oh yes so it does.

But the pies are the same are they not, expect the chicken baltie ones, as they are mostly made from chicken feet and necks.

Posted by: OC Not (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: February 04, 2008 08:43AM

Yoiks. Well, can't be worse than what's in the common hamburger...

Date: February 04, 2008 10:46PM

The meat pie is the National Dish of Australia and deserves to be discussed in hushed, reverential tones. If you could only throw a pie on the barbie, we wouldn't eat anything else.

<has nightmare vision of Kitten taking this literally and hurling Big Bens at barbie dolls>

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: February 05, 2008 12:53AM

Good use for em (the barbies I mean).

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.108.---)
Date: February 05, 2008 12:17PM

You're joking right? I can't possibly lift a clock tower by myself.

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.isnet.net)
Date: February 05, 2008 08:44PM

I also thought that this involved custard pies being thrown at dolls. Possibly a fairground attraction?

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Date: February 06, 2008 12:36AM

Most nouns in Australia are preferred with either '-a', '-o' or '-ie' suffix. Hence: "Bazza and Robbo wore their cozzies to the barbie" is the preferred form of 'Barry and Robert (or perhaps a gentleman with a surname of Roberts/ Robertson/etc) wore their swimming costumes to the barbecue'. More detail could have been supplied - whether the cozzies were speedos or budgies rather than boardies, for instance.

Paul Hogan (Croc Dundee) made a series of ads for Americans to come to Australia as tourists and uttered the immortal "I'll throw a shrimp on the barbie" as the catchcry. Australians found this immensely amusing because we say 'prawn' rather than 'shrimp' (which we think makes them sound too small to be worth bothering about) and throwing one on a Barbie doll sounded rather lewd.

Last year, a series of ads (at a motza cost) was made for both the UK and US had the tagline, "What are ya bloody waiting for?" and had to be changed (for an even bigger motza cost) to get on US TV without the apparently offensive 'bloody'.

True story about language: After a Cricket Test Match over 50 years ago, the England captain knocked on the door of the Australian dressing rooms and complained to the Australian captain that, while batting, he had been called a 'bastard' by one of the Aussies. The Australian captain swung around and yelled to the team, "Okay! Which one of you bastards called this bastard a bastard?"

Date: February 06, 2008 04:07AM

Remember that ad with all the people and a dog saying "bugger"? I always thought it was amazing that it was on during children's tv time slots. It was amusing. I have to not swear at my school, I'd get into enormous trouble (even as a teacher).

Date: February 06, 2008 04:24AM

What did your school do to make you want to swear at it? Can't you just stand across the road, swear at it when it's not looking and then act innocent? That always worked for me.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.130.---)
Date: February 06, 2008 12:48PM

I'm amazed you even know swear words!

Especially you Robert :P

Date: February 07, 2008 10:10AM

Oi! I can swear in French, English, German and Spanish ^_^

In addition to this, I can also say "Where is my tequila?" in Spanish (as well as many other things) and also can say "I don't speak Bosnian" in Bosnian. I'm particularly proud of that last one ^_^

Date: February 07, 2008 11:18PM

When I was in Year 7, an urban myth (sort of) swept through our French class (yes, either French or German were compulsory in those days) that a kid once did his entire oral exam by saying "Je ne comprend pas" to everything he was asked. Thus, went the myth, he could not be failed because he had spoken French for the whole exam but hadn't had to learn anything except for four words!

I don't know if anyone tried it, but I'm fairly sure they failed miserably as well as copped a caning if they did.

Those were the days of the 'unofficial' White Australia Policy which was effectively rather than specifically racist. The rule was that all prospective immigrants had to sit a test - fair enough you might say. The test could be given in English or any European language. A prospective German immigrant who spoke little English could therefore do the test in German, and so forth. However, the test was available in no Asian languages at all and, wait for it, the officer in charge of the test could - at their own discretion - give the test in German (or Bosnian, etc) to an Asian who could speak English quite well! Believe it or not.

Date: February 08, 2008 02:38AM

Yep, it was pretty dumb of our people. Makes you embarrassed to be an Aussie when this stuff arises.

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.ru.ac.za)
Date: February 08, 2008 10:52PM

Very few countries have a squeaky clean record regarding that sort of thing though. Sadly.

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: February 08, 2008 11:28PM

Quick! Everyone to the records room with some soap!

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 6 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.