New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7
Fforde Ffiesta 2008
Posted by: zendao42 (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 25, 2007 03:30AM

Sweetie, if I could drive there, I'd definitely go!

But my car would never make it across the ocean, I'm afraid-
even if I could afford the gas money...

But I can do some promotion in 'Space & the boardello at some point-
some fruitbats might be up for winging that way...

I'm afraid that most of the people I know personally wouldn't make it since they couldn't be bothered to drive one state over
the last time I told them about about an author event, grrrr...

Re: Fforde Ffiesta 2008
Posted by: BibwitHart (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: November 25, 2007 07:22AM

You're some husband Skids!

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: November 25, 2007 11:47AM

Hope so: that certificate cost a bundle and doesn't seem to need renewing.........

Posted by: Ptolemy (---.range86-158.btcentralplus.com)
Date: December 02, 2007 11:13AM

In response to the many enquiries we've been receiving, I'm pleased to be able to announce that tickets to the Fforde Ffiesta 2008 are now ON SALE.

You can book your place at what promises to be the Jasper Fforde event of the year via the Ffiesta website [www.ffordeffiesta.com], costing only 25.00 GBP per person.

It's taking place at the De Vere Hotel and UnConventional Centre, Shaw Ridge, Swindon, Wiltshire, England on Saturday May 3rd and Sunday May 4th 2008. On purchasing your ticket from the Ffiesta website, you will be given instructions on how to book a room at the hotel, should you wish to do so. Please don't try to book into the hotel without first buying a Ffiesta ticket, because you will be told the hotel is fully booked (we have reserved all the available rooms)

NOTE THAT THE TICKET PRICE GOES UP TO £30.00 AFTER 1st march 2008, so it's in your own best interest to book a place as soon as possible.

If you have any questions which aren't answered on the Ffiesta website, feel free to drop a line to the Fforganisers at: fridays@ffordeffiesta.com

Thanks and hope to see you soon! Especially if you're planning on visiting from a different continent (as I know many people are, bless 'em)

Ptolly

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2007 12:20PM by Ptolemy.

Posted by: LeonardQuirm (---.brhm.adsl.virgin.net)
Date: December 02, 2007 11:18AM

Well, to keep the Fforganisers spirits' up, I shall say I think it is very likely I'll be there - haven't booked tickets yet, but that's just until I organise a few things. Then just to save up the money for the next few months.

Of course, depending on how well Ptolemy and others remember me from when we were both properly active members on here, this may be a good thing or something to make everyone just give up and cancel it!

Is it possible to say - or at least give an indication - of how much the rooms in the venue will cost (I noticed the "special discount price" mentioned, but I can't find a reference to the actual cost it's likely to be...)

Posted by: Ptolemy (---.range86-141.btcentralplus.com)
Date: December 02, 2007 01:15PM

Oh, yes - sorry Lenny (and welcome back by the way! It's lovely to hear from you and we all look forward to finally getting to meet you - well, those of us who haven't bumped into you at a signing, anyway)

Rooms are 80.00 per night per double room. I've updated the website to reflect this now. Thanks for pointing that out - you wouldn't believe the number of people who checked the site before we went live, and already there's been two mistakes highlighted! (it was ordiginally charging postage for tickets as well - that's been corrected now too. There is no postage: you collect your tickets at the Ffiesta reception desk on arrival)

P.

Posted by: Lycanthra Pod (---.dsl.pipex.com)
Date: December 02, 2007 06:59PM

Oh yes! I remember young Lenny and that other one young Mebbee, had any toast lately?

Posted by: OC Not (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: December 03, 2007 08:37AM

@LQ - Why can't you be properly active members again?

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.106.---)
Date: December 03, 2007 11:14AM

Because after a while, as posters become less active in their declining years, we strip them naked and set them afloat on an iceberg.

Posted by: OC Not (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: December 03, 2007 11:43AM

I've seen Lifeboat. Harrowing.

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.isnet.net)
Date: December 03, 2007 06:52PM

Hmmm.... Did anything ever come of the idea to toast images onto bread? I recall that had some potential.....

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Date: December 03, 2007 09:50PM

Yes,Martin there were some dodo imprinted toast, ours sadly was binned not too long ago, but it was fun to look at.

Going back to the Ffiesta, we feel the urge to do some more stealth book marking in the run up to the festive season, if anyone wants to put fun back into dragging yourselves around shops at this time of year, let me know and I'll arrange some bookmarks for you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2007 09:54PM by Lycanthra Pod.

Posted by: LeonardQuirm (---.brhm.adsl.virgin.net)
Date: December 03, 2007 11:36PM

I'd be up for distributing some bookmarks up here in the chilly wastelands of Durham, and back home in a couple of weeks! I'll e-mail you my address for that, l-Pod.

Cheers for the info, Ptolemy...but eech, that's a little higher than I was hoping for (being as I haven't really holidayed much on my own, hotel prices aren't an area of expertise of mine). I suppose if I find someone to share a room with it's not too bad (hopefully I'll convinve at least a friend of mine - also Fforde ffans, of course - to come with me) but I may well be looking around to see if there are any convenient, slightly @#$%& places to consider. But I still definitely want to come!

As for being a properly active member again...as terrible as it is, I'm busy a lot of the time with real life and all that tomfoolery. And being set afloat on an iceberg has meant I've had to keep a chilly demeanor, simply in the interest of keeping myself afloat...

Back to the Ffestival: I'm assuming the options of running stalls etc as happened last time and is mentioned on the website will be discussed in the near-ish future?

Posted by: Ptolemy (---.public.mod.uk)
Date: December 04, 2007 02:57PM

The "location" page of the Fforde Ffiesta website features a list of potential alternative accomodation, Leonard, in descending order of promity to the venue:

[www.ffordeffiesta.com]

Also, we definitely welcome ideas and volunteers for more stalls and entertainments, so please feel free to drop us a line. I'm glad to say Pete & Dave's Dodo Emporium Marshmallow Chuck, the Nextian Bookstore and the Goliath Marketing Company are all definitely making a return visit next year, for example.

We've heard nothing so far from the Toast Marketing Board however,Agatha Christie's Auctioneers have yet to confirm, and there's been no response from Uncle Tom's Tombola Cabin. Still, it's early days yet.

Posted by: robcraine (---.mcb.net)
Date: December 05, 2007 10:00PM

What about some sort of singleton room matching for people in LdQ's position?

------
That statement is either so deep it would take a lifetime to fully comprehend every particle of its meaning, or it is a load of absolute tosh. Which is it, I wonder?
Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Posted by: Ptolemy (---.range217-42.btcentralplus.com)
Date: December 06, 2007 06:15PM

Sounds a splendid idea, Rob. I think this is probably the best forum for arranging it, via the private message function, rather than me setting up something bespoke on the Ffiesta website. I can of course point people in this general direction if people think that might be useful.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.range86-135.btcentralplus.com)
Date: December 06, 2007 06:22PM

@ Lycanthra Pod: You binned my toast!? You feind! I was keeping that for a special occasion... Bah. My Christmas is ruined.

And yes, the dodo chuck will return <3 Though I'm afraid the little guy needs some cosmetic surgury, his toes are falling apart!

My room's already booked, here's hoping the 6 hour drive won't be eventful >.>

Date: December 06, 2007 08:01PM

Damn! That will teach me for confessing, if I remember rightly you had a hand in it too.

Remind me, who booked your room?

I think the room idea is great as well Rob

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.nike.com)
Date: December 06, 2007 11:31PM

Well, I thoroughly enjoyed meeting a few other Ffordeians on the Great Guru's signing tour earlier this year. I plan on joining everyone for the Ffiesta, and can't wait to see what kind of mayhem is being planned. Yes, coming from another continent takes a bit of thought, but at least we aren't doing the trip in covered wagon and sailing ship! Ah, the joys of current technology.

If there is anything that can be done to promote the Ffiesta on this side of the pond, someone please let me know!

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: December 09, 2007 12:41PM

Welcome to the madhouse kirufisher. Help yourself to pie.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.