New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Happy Thanksgiving!
Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.isnet.net)
Date: December 08, 2007 06:33PM

You are also unlikely to get the female vote. At least, many of those that I know.

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: December 09, 2007 05:27AM

Cast your chocolate upon the altar and it shall be returned to you manyfold

<or at least the little silver wrapping paper will be. Some gods have no repect for their believers.>!

<at the serving on the mount the MsMessiah fed the multitude with all they needed from 5 blocks and two Freddo frogs>

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.107.---)
Date: December 09, 2007 12:54PM

Voting? VOTING?
This is a religion, not a bloody democracy!

<Showers chocolate coins on Bunyip>
Ever thought about being a prophet?

Date: December 09, 2007 02:53PM

I see little money in it. :P

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.107.---)
Date: December 09, 2007 04:32PM

Prophet, not profit.

Although, if you know anyone capable of managing an income the size of the vatican's...

Date: December 11, 2007 11:19AM

What is the conversion rates between the lire and the 250gram block of 'Dairy Milk' at present?

How many 'Freddo frogs' is the Sistine Chapel's tourist income worth?

What is the premium on 'Old Gold/Jamaica' when releasing the copies of the banned books as listed in the Codex?

Give me clue and I'll turn on my cost accountant's brain and give you an approximate answer. I studied astronomy and nuclear physics for a while and the numbers involved are pretty similar to the Vatican's accounts, and what with quantum, about as steady and predictable. I volunteer should you be proclaimed.

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: December 11, 2007 11:40AM

If the Italian lire still existed, probably about 25 000 000 to 1.

(Turkish lira about 2.5 per 250g bar)

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

My computer beat me at chess, but I won at kickboxing

Posted by: PrinzHilde (---.dip0.t-ipconnect.de)
Date: December 11, 2007 03:28PM

I once heard that the official Vatican state budget is mainly comprised of income from the sales of stamps and Euro coins with the face of the pope on it. Entrance fees to the Vatican museums apparently are a lot less.

Date: December 12, 2007 10:43AM

Being a good little moral person and not suggesting that a religion would ever do anything underhanded and hide their sources of income from the faithful I would work on the off balance sheet items such as the company that owned Watergate (Washington- not London) in the time of RMNixon.

It is interesting that you kiss the ring of the pope to get a miracle performed, but you have to lick his backside to get a letter delivered.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.108.---)
Date: December 12, 2007 01:01PM

A lot less? We got into the vatican for free... The only tricky bit was finding our way out again. Very strange- It looks small, but when you get in there, you discover there's this whole TARDIS thing going on.

Except in the Sistine Chapel, which surprised me by being so tiny.

Posted by: PrinzHilde (---.dip0.t-ipconnect.de)
Date: December 12, 2007 01:06PM

Ah. I thought the Sistine chapel could only be entered as part of the museum. But then, I only got that from the tales my father told about his visit in 1962...

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.108.---)
Date: December 12, 2007 01:17PM

No, that's true. We went through the museum, then we looked at the rest of the stuff and hassled those lads with gorgeous legs but poor taste in clothing (swiss guard) for photos with the kids who were on the tour.
They were very nice and obliged. And quite frankly, spoiled the kids rotten.

Posted by: robert (61.88.131.---)
Date: December 13, 2007 04:16AM

I went to the Telecom museum in Kuala Lumpur and I was the only person in there. A couple of ladies guarding the door almost jumped out of their skins when they saw me so, as far as I know, I'm the only person EVER to go to it.

They were quite perplexed when I asked them if I could go in and wanted to know why. "To have a look," I said. So they consulted with a superior and I was begrudged an entry. They were as nice as pie and even chatty an hour later when I emerged. They seemed to have sorted out in their minds, somehow, that this was a "visitor" and that this was, in fact, what "visitors" sometimes do - they "visit".

As a matter of fact, I didn't really want to go there at all. I got a taxi and asked for the Numismatic Museum. After several queries from the driver about just what it was and where (I even showed him a map), he dropped me across the road from a building and said, jabbing with his finger, "Museum. There."

And, as I've described, so it was. I'm lucky it was actually a museum of some sort I suppose. You don't necessarily ever get what you want in Malaysia, you get what Malaysia wants to give you.

Date: December 13, 2007 10:33PM

Was it at least worth your time?

Kitten: I can not help feeling that the Swiss Guard were not one of Michaelangelo's triumphs....

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.131.---)
Date: December 14, 2007 05:57AM

Yes, but given his complicated relationship with the church, I don't think it was meant to be!

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.