New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
news that makes you go 'heh heh heh!'
Posted by: Jazz_Sue (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: December 19, 2007 12:22PM

Well yes, practically anything involving Amy-it-was-only-icing-sugar-honest-Winehouse; but you've got to hand it to our (British) Royals - they give you a laugh, don't they? Shame Thursday's world is a republic, really. Perhaps Jas could introduce them in exile, or something.

Anyway - this comes hot on the heels of yesterday's story, which is that Prince Edward is now officially a daddy (We all guessed, didn't we, after he suddenly lost the crown he's been wearing for the past ten years. He wasn't dropping big hints about who should be the next ruling monarch after all; it was just that everyone said he was impotent, so he was damn well gonna LOOK impotent) I digress ...

Did anyone see the pics of Our Glorious Queen in the papers this morning? The Daily Mail did a good one in colour - which shows up the evidence nicely. A bit too nicely, I'm afraid. I mean, far be it for me to spread rumour, and I'm sure there IS an innocent explanation, but the dear lady does appear to have acquired one heck of an impressive, er, 'bruise' on the side of her neck, doesn't she? Not an easy place to get one, under normal circumstances - just in that one area, and all. I mean, if it were Fergie, or Sarah, or any of the nubile nymphettes that have joined the family clan in recent times, you could easily see how ... I mean, come on, it's just the place where I used to ... ahem ... where you'd expect a bruise to come up after, er, I mean ... okay, I know she's had 4 kids but not at HER age, surely?
Oh, it was a boisterous corgi. Trying to get at the decorations. Ri-i-i-ght.

Look at the evidence:

That's the biggest smile she's worn all year. Almost coquetish, in fact. It's Christmas. And she was 'at home' in Buck house when the said 'injury' took place - I take it Phillip was there as well. With a big glass of mulled wine for after she'd mucked out the horses, no doubt.

Although... there's no sign of Phillip in the photo. And the paper does just mention the, er, bruise first appeared after Her Maj had been in, um, 'audience'. With the King of Tonga.
That's a very BIG smile she's wearing. Gives a whole new meaning to the term, affairs of state. Heh heh heh indeed.

I tell you this much - pearl necklaces or no, that ain't no corgi bite she's wearing.

Re: news that makes you go 'heh heh heh!'
Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.128.---)
Date: December 19, 2007 01:36PM

Don't be silly, the queen doesn't have sex. She doesn't go to the toilet either.
Royals reproduce like amoeba.

Posted by: HouseInTheWoods (81.102.13.---)
Date: December 19, 2007 03:51PM

I think you'll find Neil Gaiman's Study in Emerald explains all you need to know about the Royal Family...

Posted by: robert (61.88.131.---)
Date: December 19, 2007 10:07PM

Or try the ever-delightful Connie Willis: "Even The Queen".

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.i019124216.rivernet.com.au)
Date: December 19, 2007 11:15PM

I agree with BK. Can you imagine the queen cutting her toenails, or...? Amoebas! They aren't human.

Date: December 20, 2007 03:27AM

Now there's a mental image for you. The Queen standing there, looking down at her toenails and saying, Canute-like, "Go Back".

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.128.---)
Date: December 20, 2007 01:11PM

Do you mean that the royals *are* human?

Date: December 20, 2007 10:17PM

On the ostensible topic of this thread, I noticed this in today's Wagga Wagga Daily Advertiser:

"A book about parenting by Britney Spears' mother has been delayed indefinitely, her publisher said yesterday."

Reminds me of that old string of gags about the shortest books ever written.

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: December 21, 2007 09:43AM

Which one? 'Italian War Heroes'? Or 'the Wit and Wisdom of John W Howard'?

*When I lived in the UK I used to go down the Brixton Road headed towards Croydon. A block of buildings had been restored as public housing in Little Jamaica (Brixton) and on the northern side was a solid wall of about five stories in height and it was painted a rich buttermilk creamy yellow.

One morning a few weeks after this had been completed a message appeared in big - 8-10 feet tall- bright red lettering. It read:

'Even the queen has to wipe her arse!'

Egalitarianism in action.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.105.---)
Date: December 21, 2007 11:18AM

Okay, this isn't really news, just an odd image:
We're having a hard rubbish collection soon, so everyone has piles of stuff on the nature strip.
One thing I noticed down the main st was a ukulele that had been smashed.

All I could think of was George Formby rocking out after a particularly kickin' solo, possibly while possessed by Pete Townsend.

"It's turned out ROCK again, Eeeeeee!"

Additional note: There is now also a pandeiro with half the zils missing at the same place... Oddly enough, both these are outside a dentist's surgery...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2007 02:44PM by Bonzai Kitten.

Posted by: robert (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: December 21, 2007 03:46PM

My money is on it sounding better as it was being smashed than it ever sounded being played.

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.isnet.net)
Date: December 21, 2007 07:04PM

I like them. Better than bagpipes.

Fiendish Scots....

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: December 23, 2007 01:16PM

robert Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My money is on it sounding better as it was being
> smashed than it ever sounded being played.

what is wrong with this?

If you get the chance, go and see them.

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: December 28, 2007 01:14PM

Gosh (since knowing Colin, that word has become a staple), you don't often find pandeiros in Australia, they are still very uncommon. BK remind me to play you some of Pipoca's stuff.
Fancy near a dentist! Maybe it had an accident with an ungrateful customer.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.107.---)
Date: December 29, 2007 11:36AM

Not that uncommon. Nearly every musical instrument shop has them, and even school supplies stores like Landmark get them in.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.