New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Favourite book
Posted by: SkidMarks (---.40.238.183.sub.mbb.three.co.uk)
Date: July 08, 2008 10:24AM

As we have quite a few recent additions to this happy band of lunatics, how about everyone stating which is their favourite JFf book?

No cop-outs like saying all of 'em.

Strangely enough, while I prefer the TN series, my favourite book is probably "The Fourth Bear".

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

My computer beat me at chess, but I won at kickboxing

Re: Favourite book
Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.nottingham.ac.uk)
Date: July 08, 2008 02:52PM

'The Big Over Easy'. It was my first and still the best, in my humble opinion.

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: July 09, 2008 05:08AM

I'd definitely go with Something Rotten. Hamlet was delightful, and I'm a sucker for happy endings.

Posted by: 198505 (---.cable.ubr04.pres.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: July 09, 2008 11:02AM

TEA first one and still the most insane. STONK!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blood! Death! War! Rumpy pumpy! Triumph!

Posted by: CannibalRabbit (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: July 09, 2008 11:29AM

It has to be a toss-up between The Fourth Bear and TEA, but I think that the Bears have it!

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.128.---)
Date: July 09, 2008 06:15PM

That's kinda like asking who your favourite family member is while they are all standong around you, watching...

<glances at bookshelves>

WHISPERS: It's the Fourth Bear- or possibly TEA, depending which one got me breakfast in bed.

Posted by: Jazz_Sue (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: July 10, 2008 11:07AM

My fave is Lost in a good book, but only cos it features the Colonel such a lot, and I fell in love with him from page 1 of TEA onwards.
Plea to Jasper: PLEASE don't 'kill off' the Chronoguard - we need an antidote to Dr Who!

Posted by: Haylo (---.range86-142.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 10, 2008 12:17PM

I love LIAGB for its own merits, but I also love The Eyre Affair because it deals with my other favourite book...

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: July 10, 2008 12:52PM

I still love TWoLP. Introducing my dear friends the grammasites and of course the the footnoterphone.

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.isnet.net)
Date: July 10, 2008 07:42PM

Toss up between LiaGB and TWoLP.

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: July 11, 2008 04:48AM

Unfair question! Like asking which is your favourite chocolate.

But,

I was thinking that TEA must be the favourite as the others wouldn't exist without it, and before the other plots are developed it leaves the universe open to endless possibilities which are then curtailed a little by the other stories. Except that FAS opens it all up again.

So I'll say 'the next one'.

<Moves back to teaching politicians how to answer definite question unequivocably without actually giving any commitment>

Posted by: HouseInTheWoods (---.136.125.91.rb6.adsl.brightview.com)
Date: July 11, 2008 12:04PM

Something Rotten, especially because of Hamlet and Emma Hamilton both knowing people named Horatio. Makes me laugh out loud every time I read it.

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.isnet.net)
Date: July 11, 2008 08:26PM

I definitely did not enjoy FAS as much as the others. Too many obvious loose ends and (I felt) it just ended suddenly. *shrug*

Posted by: annie (---.vic.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 12, 2008 06:35AM

I recieved an anonymous text message from a friend (who had changed mobile numbers, i dod not recognise the number hence anonymous) which simply read "The Fourth Bear is awesome!!"

For me is is still TEA... followed nanseconds later by all the others.

Posted by: OC Not (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: July 12, 2008 11:15AM

Something Rotten. I admit I did not see that coming. To this day my sister has a Goodreads shelf called "Granny Next."

Posted by: JungleKatt (---.northstate.net)
Date: August 04, 2008 01:52AM

My favorite is WOLP because it has the most obscure references, and i'm a sucker for tha tkind of thing. Also, Beatrice and Benedict always make me laugh.

Posted by: Planet Cool (---.elp.res.rr.com)
Date: August 14, 2008 02:37AM

This is a very difficult choice. The last I read was The Fourth Bear and I thought it was utter genius and exactly the kind of story I like. A close second would have to be Lost in a Good Book with the first and third books in the series following closely after. The worst (and by that I mean not quite as brilliant as the others, but brilliant nonetheless) is probably Something Rotten, which felt choppy and as though it didn't have as well-developed a plot (not to mention my disappointment when I learned that Yorrick Kaine was not, in fact, Big Brother from 1984 as I had theorized).

I wonder how Shades of Grey will rank?

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.christverlag.de)
Date: August 18, 2008 12:03PM

Difficult for me as well. (in case someone remembers me from long, long time ago - HI. :) ) I love the Thursday Next books to pieces, and usually would say the Lost In A Good Book is my favourite. But at the moment I'm totally addicted to Jack Spratt, so I feel like I have to have a second heart (like a proper time lord) to have room enough for everyone.

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.ru.ac.za)
Date: August 18, 2008 06:58PM

Just did a search. ;)

You have been gone for a while. Welcome back.

In memory of your last arrival, have some Battenberg. I think we have some in storage. We stopped giving it out once Skids started with the pies. (Although at least Battenberg never goes stale...)

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.christverlag.de)
Date: August 19, 2008 07:47AM

Hey thank you, Martin. Battenberg, tasty. But... *whispers* haven't you got some... buzz? Or flake at least?

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.