New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Well of Lost Plots :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For chat regarding 'Well of lost Plots'.  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Unlucky for some
Posted by: MissPrint (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 08, 2003 12:01AM

Okay, this bothered me slightly with TN1, and again with TN2, but now...

Missing one chapter 13 is unfortunate, missing the second is careless, but now that the third is AWOL I want to know what happened to them.

Re: Unlucky for some
Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 08, 2003 12:03AM

I'm convinced there's some kind of link, but I haven't tried to locate number three. The first one refers to a chapel near to Mr Ff's home.

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: July 08, 2003 12:10AM

I suspect it will be revealed in TN-5 (or later if he decides to carry the series on past that)

Posted by: Milo (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 08, 2003 10:15PM

I read somewhere, might have been an interview in Whatever Next (so some of you will know this already) that Mr F was thinking of putting pretty pictures (of places) on chapter 13, but the idea got junked but the chapter left (non-existently) in. For some reason in TEA and LIAGB, Chapter 13 falls around p141, but in WOLP it doesn't really, so there goes any link with pages or anything.

Capel-y-whatsit (in TEA) is a small village close to the border with England, so I initially this might allude to the refuge of Hades in the Republic, but I've no idea where Mount Pleasant (or even which mount Pleasant) is (from the second one) and the name of the third one temporarily eludes me.

Posted by: Simon (193.82.99.---)
Date: July 10, 2003 01:39PM

The third one is 'Reservoir near the Church of St Stephen'... There are probably quite a few churches dedicated to that saint: I can remember four (all in England) that I've seen, without having to think too hard about the subject, but none of those was particularly close to any reservoirs...

"This was willed where what is willed... can get rather silly."

Posted by: Jo (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 10, 2003 04:10PM

Mount Pleasant is a residential area of Exeter, though somehow I don't think that that was where JFf was referring to!

I drink to drown my sorrows. Unfortunately they've learnt how to swim.

Posted by: Simon (193.82.99.---)
Date: July 10, 2003 04:19PM

There's at least one location called Mount Pleasant in the Greater London area, too...

"This was willed where what is willed... can get rather silly."

Posted by: Jo (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 10, 2003 04:24PM

I've just 'Streetmapped' Mount Pleasant - there's a lot of them! But seeing as the chapter was boojummed, we'll never know which one it was...

I drink to drown my sorrows. Unfortunately they've learnt how to swim.

Date: July 10, 2003 06:43PM

Bet it isn't this one, which actually has directions from a resevoir (no - really!)

There's one in Caerwent, Wales, which is just down the road from a resevoir, and also fairly close to Caoel-y-Ffin, don't you know?

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Date: July 10, 2003 06:50PM

Also Old Radnor, Wales. Can't spot a reservoir here though, but it's a nice old church.

Details here

PSD

==========

Posted by: robcraine (---.mcb.net)
Date: July 10, 2003 10:11PM

I wonder what will happen if we get to TN-13....

Rob

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: July 10, 2003 11:31PM

hehehe, Jasper would just skip from TN-12 to TN-14 knowing him!

Posted by: Magda (---.dialip.mich.net)
Date: July 11, 2003 06:17AM

I also noticed that in the first two books the page number listed for Chapter 13 was, in fact, a blank page before chapter 14. In WOLP it's in the middle of chapter 12, and has text on it.

Posted by: Magda (---.dialip.mich.net)
Date: July 11, 2003 06:18AM

I should clarify that I'm referring to the paperback edition. I don't know if the pagination is the same in the hardback or not.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.