New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Well of Lost Plots :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For chat regarding 'Well of lost Plots'.  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Reading
Posted by: Val (---.w80-9.abo.wanadoo.fr)
Date: August 06, 2003 08:26PM

WOLP has left me wanting more. Particularly loved the Wuthering Heights rage counselling session. Made the mistake of rereading WH as a result. Keep bursting into hysterical laughter.

One slight disappointment. As a former resident of Reading, now living in Southern Burgundy, I wanted Reading to get more of a thorough Nextian makeover. If anywhere deserves it, it's Reading. Reading is dreadful, it's even more dreadful than Swindon (I lived in Reading and worked in Swindon at one point, so I think I'm qualified to pass an opinion.

Perhaps Nextian Reading could turn up in the next one? Or is Reading just too dreadful to be saved even by the genius of Jasper Fforde?

Val

Re: Reading
Posted by: kaz (139.134.57.---)
Date: August 07, 2003 02:54AM

With a name like REading there are endless pun possiblilties involved. I'm surprised Jasper hasn't already picked up on that. Maybe he's saving it for TN4.

Posted by: Simon (---.westsussex.gov.uk)
Date: August 07, 2003 02:52PM

I wonder whether Slough (so loathed by Betjeman...) is also on the list for improvement?

"God rot Botchkamos Istochnik!"

Posted by: Magda (---.subnet-25.med.umich.edu)
Date: August 07, 2003 05:41PM

Don't Jasper's unpublished Jack Sprat novels take place in or near Reading?

Posted by: Simon (---.westsussex.gov.uk)
Date: August 07, 2003 05:56PM

Good point. 'Caversham Heights' certainly does.

"God rot Botchkamos Istochnik!"

Posted by: Auntysassy (193.132.206.---)
Date: August 08, 2003 12:40PM

Val - Southern Burgundy....... France......no Tony & Cherie Blair........no trains that can't run hot weather................lots and lots of wine..............you lucky lucky person!

Posted by: Val (---.w80-9.abo.wanadoo.fr)
Date: August 08, 2003 06:16PM

Southern Burgundy....... France......no Tony & Cherie Blair........no trains that can't run hot weather................lots and lots of wine..............you lucky lucky person!

Believe me, I know. I offer up daily prayers to the Gods of the UK Housing Market and my ex-employer (staff cutting) who made it all possible!

It aint all roses, though. The strike is a national pastime, and the bureaucracy convinces me that Kafka should have been a Frenchman. Still, if it gets too much you can always open another bottle of wine ...

I like the idea of a Nextian Slough - would it be a small village surrounded by cabbage fields?

Val

Posted by: Sarah B (---.cable.ubr06.dudl.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: August 08, 2003 10:06PM

Shall he save inner city Brum while he's at it too?

He can make the trains run on time if he does...

Which reminds me. I'll pos this elsewhere as well, but check this out:

[www.twocapitals.co.uk]

--------------

There's a hole in my creativity bucket and it's all leaked out.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.