New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Well of Lost Plots :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For chat regarding 'Well of lost Plots'.  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
fanfics
Posted by: Perstephanie (---.nottingham.ac.uk)
Date: September 24, 2003 05:44PM

Just a general question, but I was afraid of posting it on the nextian chat forum for fear of revealing info in WoLP, but where does fanfiction fall in the great library? Is it in the WoLP, even though what i've read has been published on the internet? Is that enough to have it put in the library above ground? . . . Or is there a completely different library for online publishings, as it sounds like there might be a completely separate nonfiction library? Can you imagine what a nonficition great library would be like? Would the subjects of biographies be exactly like their real counterparts, or would they be like Vern? One way in the book, completely different in the library? . . . But you can stretch fiction, and nonfiction has always seemed so boring and dull to me. But I ramble.
thanks!
sas
ps--i'm new to this whole technological marvel called a forum and if this question has been previously asked, i apologize; i don't think i have the mad skills to navigate through the forums. thanks again!

Re: fanfics
Posted by: Magda (---.med.umich.edu)
Date: September 24, 2003 06:54PM

As I recall, Miss Havisham and Thursday jumped from the washing machine instructions into "The Non-fiction section of the Great Library". So it could be divided into sections, including one for online publications. Problem there is that both fiction and non-fiction are published online, and many things online are also available in printed form.

Complicated, ain't it?

Posted by: Simon (---.westsussex.gov.uk)
Date: September 24, 2003 07:03PM

However, going by what we've been shown so far, the computers available in Thursday's version of Earth don't seem to be advanced enough for online publishing to be possible there "yet"...

Posted by: Mortal Wombat (---.cmbg.cable.ntl.com)
Date: September 24, 2003 08:23PM

Ah, but fanfics have been circulating in printed form since at least the 1930s, loving typed / mimeographed / grainily photocopied and furtively circulated amongst dedicated little groups of fans at conventions. There are still a few of these members of the old brigade around, throwing up their hands in horror at the 38,504,574 upstarts who've jumped on the bandwagon since computers became all the rage. Despite being outnumbered approximately 68,000 to one, old style fanfic writers tend to regard this new breed as imposters who have no idea how to write proper fanfic, which requires the use of staples, large quantities of tippex and the constant, nagging fear of legal action.

In the TN universe things are probably still in the furtive zine stage. There are doubtless Jane Austen fanzines where in our universe there are Star Trek zines. These will probably include the following:

Emma Woodhouse/Darcy smut
Emma Woodhouse/Jane Bennett smut.
Darcy/Wickham smut.
Emma/Darcy/Wickham smut
Darcy/Wickham/Bingley smut
Darcy/everybody smut.
Captain Wentworth captured by wicked pirates smut
There's a beautiful new governess/lodger/companion at Pemberley/Camden Place/Mansfield Park who immediately captures everyone's heart.. Oh no, it's Mary Sue!
Rewrites in which at least one character turns out to be an elf, a witch, a fairy or a unicorn.
Rewrites from the point of view of the main character's cats.
Crossovers with Bram Stoker's Dracula
Avril Lavigne songfics (apparently no fandom in any universe can escape these)

Given the fact that amid the reams of fanfic that are turned out every day, there is a surprising amount of high quality material, it would be unfair of me to suggest that it belongs in the 'well of people who have lost the plot.'

Posted by: Mortal Wombat (---.cmbg.cable.ntl.com)
Date: September 24, 2003 08:27PM

I thought I'd made it up, but here it is: Jane Austen fanfic. Be afraid. Be very afraid...

[www.fanfiction.net]

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.nottingham.ac.uk)
Date: September 24, 2003 10:37PM

Thanks Magda, for the point about the washing instructions; i'd completely forgotten about that. It's been so long since i've read the first two books, most things are sketchy.
I forget at times the nextian universe is not only different from our own, but in a different time as well . . . didn't even think about the computer thing.
Mortal Wombat, believe it or not, I actually know of another Austen fanfic site: www.pemberly.com. Thanks for this one, though, i'll check it out. I'm an incredibly big geek and a very big Austen fan. There actually is a published book of Austen smut. The author claims they're the lost sex scenes of Austen. Entertaining, if nothing else. If you ever see Pride and Promiscuity, give it a read if you're a fan.
thanks. this is one of my first postings and i'm excited to be part of the forum!
steph

Non-Fiction!
Posted by: ScarletBea (194.196.168.---)
Date: September 25, 2003 08:25AM

I like this :)

I didn't remember the 'non fiction section' either, specially as in Wolp there's such a feeling of us/them (fiction/non fiction), with the non fiction being the bad guys....
(a bit like in my company.... the plant and the marketing company, we at the plant are considered the bad guys, which is a BIG injustice ;))

I like your questions about the real people being different from their biographies, and what about fake bios, or unauthorised versions?

Oooooh Jasper could write one book just with non-fiction characters, or about the non fiction scetion, a sort of parallel to the TN series, a bit like the short story for the Children charity!!!!
*getting excited now*

Posted by: Simon (---.lancing.org.uk)
Date: September 25, 2003 10:08AM

In an earlier thread somebody posted an edress for a rather amusing
"What if Jane Austen had written about The Terminator?" fanfic.

Posted by: dave (---.addleshaw-booth.co.uk)
Date: September 26, 2003 12:30PM

I had an idea for a fanfic where SpecOps had to track down a criminal across the web, via (bad) fanfic, news sites and blogs.

Still in my 'pile of books to write'.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.