New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Well of Lost Plots :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For chat regarding 'Well of lost Plots'.  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
"Flaunt" vs. "flout": possible error?
Posted by: Jack Miller (---.c3-0.arl-ubr1.sbo-arl.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: May 14, 2005 08:44AM

I was just rereading my New English Library paperback edition and noticed that, at the beginning of chapter 31, the UA of W Cat refers to "the most publicised flaunting of these rules..."

I assumed that the Cat meant "flouting," of course, since to flaunt means "to exhibit ostentatiously" and to flout is "to show contempt for"-- but actually I just poked around a bit and found that the American Heritage Dictionary officially acknowledges that "for some time now flaunt has been used in the sense 'to show contempt for,' even by educated users of English." It does note, however, that "this usage is still widely seen as erroneous and is best avoided," so maybe this is a candidate for a future upgrade after all.

[dictionary.reference.com]

Re: "Flaunt" vs. "flout": possible error?
Posted by: Andy (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 02, 2005 10:43PM

Or, maybe it was just a mispeling vyrus.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.cpe.quickclic.net)
Date: June 26, 2005 09:34PM

This is probably just like how some Americans now use "real" when they mean "really." Not all Americans, btw, before I get scolded.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.welsh-ofce.gov.uk)
Date: July 26, 2005 05:16PM

...Or some English types (boyfriend included) say "brought" when they mean "bought"! Drives me up the wall every time.....

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: July 27, 2005 11:37PM

On m-w.com, it explains how there have been quite a few instances in literature where the two have been confused. I certainly can't remember which is which...I only happen to know this because I play the flute, and just delight in any words that sound similar. If you'll type "flaunt" into m-w.com, it'll explain it all.

Wow!!! I just discovered that "Turkish Delight" is:

a jellylike or gummy confection usually cut in cubes and dusted with sugar -- called also Turkish paste

I've wondered that ever since I read "The Chronicals of Narnia" in the second grade. I was being an idiot, and had to look up "delight" to make sure it wasn't "delite"...and I came across that. Thanks!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.