New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Something Rotten :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For posts regarding TN-4 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Swindon Express
Posted by: Brian Cary (---.242.24.24.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: August 24, 2004 11:38PM

After looking at the Swindon Express in "Something Rotten", I believe it previously ran on the Atlantic Coast Line. Correct?

Re: Swindon Express
Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: August 25, 2004 09:40PM

No idea - I'm not a trainspotter!

It looks like an American-style train, and hence wouldn't have ordinarily run upon UK lines. The palm tree suggest more of a Pacific coast thing, too.

In the real world the line through Swndon is/was the 'Great Western', and I have no idea what types of trains they ran - the really fast expresses ran on the London to Scotland routes, by and large. No doubt someone will be able to give you more information.

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: Steed (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 26, 2004 08:50PM

*dons anorak*

In our world it is the Great Western, i'm not sure if Goliath own the railways in the nextian universe. The train is fashioned on a American type. I don't think there are any palm trees near Swindon although I can vageuly remember some at a wedding reception in St Ives....I "think" that the first unoffical 100mph in Britain was done on GW "metals". 1904 102.3mph by "City of Truro" on the Ocean Mail between Plymouth and Bristol.

"Dear Jim, please can you fix it for me to have a girlfriend..."

-----------------------------------------------

The Xanadu revival starts HERE

Posted by: SingingHels (62.138.169.---)
Date: August 27, 2004 06:29AM

Don't know about Swindon, but I used to be the proud co-owner of a palm tree - don't know how it managed to not die, living as it did in East London. Bizarre.

Oh, and Steed - don't hold out too much hope for Jim'll - he deserted me in my hour of need, and I think the disappointment haunts me still. I'm sure my friend and I, aged six, working in a vets surgery for a day would have been riveting viewing. All together now - bah buh bah, bah buh baahh, bah be bah be bah be bah, bah buh bah-ah (key change)....

Post Edited (08-27-04 09:45)

Posted by: Simon (---.westsussex.gov.uk)
Date: August 27, 2004 04:53PM

We've got palm trees growing on the seafront here in Worthing.

Posted by: Aurora (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: August 28, 2004 05:40PM

My friend has a palm tree in her garden in Bramley on the Hampshire/Berkshire border. It's fine and dandy...it must be a mutant.#

On the subject of Jim'll Fix it - I feel your pain SingingHels.
I wrote to him at the tender age of 7 asking if he would arrange for my friend Diane and I to be able to go on an adventure with the Famous Five.

He never replied.

We were distraught.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.