New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: The town planning of the gods....
Posted by: All-American-Cutie (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: December 09, 2002 05:29PM

<HTML>Irish ancestors...actually, so far in the genealogy, we haven't found ANYONE from my line that arrived to the US since before 1768.But most came over well before that. So I guess, really, I'm about as American as you can get and not be full blooded native (I'm 1/16 Cherokee, though,does that count?!) But my grandmother's maiden name is Mahoney. But in all reality, it looks like I might be more Dutch than Irish, but not by much. Suffice it to say, my ancestors are all Northern Europeans, therefore sticking me with butt-white skin. [GRIN] Hey, but at least I got the clear green eyes and dark strawberry/light auburn-ish hair from it!

My husband is 1/2 Swede [2nd Generation American] and the rest is mostly English and German that came over around the time of the Mayflower.</HTML>

Posted by: Carla (---.cableinet.co.uk)
Date: December 09, 2002 06:56PM

<HTML>i don't remember calling you snow white Triz, just Greenhouse Plant</HTML>

Posted by: Minsky Cat (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: December 10, 2002 11:25AM

<HTML>That's curious! Although not ginger, I too am very pale and burn easily. Unfortunately I'm also allergic to most forms of sunblock, even the hypo-allergenic variety (huh!), so I deal with extreme heat by wearing a loose kaftan or similar and a very large hat. I've got what you might call the "English rose" colouring, so I look good in purples and pinks (strong pinks, mind - any kind of pastel makes me look totally faded), and terrible in oranges and yellows.

And, yes, I'd rather be too cold than too hot. If it gets really arctic, I have some formidable "thermal thingies" which will keep out any draught imaginable. I used to be in the St John Ambulance Brigade, so I've spent a lot of Saturday afternoons sitting on a stretcher in the most exposed corner of a football stadium freezing my ears off. Sometimes the football was worth it, mind...</HTML>

Posted by: dave (---.addleshaw-booth.co.uk)
Date: December 10, 2002 11:33AM

<HTML>I've never seen a cat in a kaftan before... ;-)</HTML>

Posted by: Sarah (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: December 10, 2002 11:44AM

<HTML>Whoops, accidentally borrowed Minsky's handle again. Good job I'm going out this afternoon... :-(</HTML>

Date: December 10, 2002 11:45AM

<HTML>why the sad face?</HTML>

Date: December 10, 2002 11:47AM

<HTML>You don't know that cat! He'll probably still give me grief about it when I get home.</HTML>

Date: December 10, 2002 11:49AM

<HTML>That's where small children have their advantages then. When eddie's upset with me, it's like
"wahh, hate you hate you hate y... oooh, biscuits..."

he *is* a junior Homer Simpson.</HTML>

Date: December 10, 2002 11:52AM

<HTML>Oh, wow! Mind you, small children have even more inventive ways to cause mischief than cats do. Though I must say the cats do their level best.</HTML>

Posted by: Rob Johnson (---.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: December 10, 2002 01:22PM

<HTML>And Eddie's only going to get worse - because I'll teach him !

Dave: You can test how Irish Twila is by asking her how to
pronounce Cahir.</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.rdg.ac.uk)
Date: December 10, 2002 01:50PM

<HTML>er, is that a typo?</HTML>

Date: December 10, 2002 01:59PM

<HTML>no, it's a nice little town that Rob and myself visited on our Irish cycling holiday. He arrived by bicycle at exactly the time he said he would, having cycled 50 miles to get there. It being an Irish cycling holiday, I went by train. Which was an adventure in itself. Nice tea-shop by the castle, if I recall correctly.</HTML>

Posted by: jon (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: December 10, 2002 01:59PM

<HTML>no, it's a town in County Tipperary</HTML>

Date: December 10, 2002 02:01PM

<HTML>ah yes, but the question remains, how do you (or more accurately, does Twila) pronounce it...</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.rdg.ac.uk)
Date: December 10, 2002 02:20PM

<HTML>Is it pronounced in the same way as the 'caher' in 'Caherdaniel'?

Which, for those who are interested, is a place in Ireland where my best mate was left a cottage, leading to a mass invasion of 16 year olds on a mission to get pissed a few years back. And very enjoyable it was too. His house is on the otherside of the bay, just above the beach, on <a href="http://www.iskeroon.com/caherdaniel.htm">this photo</a>.</HTML>

Date: December 10, 2002 02:23PM

<HTML>all depends on how you pronounce caherdaniel I s'pose...</HTML>

Date: December 10, 2002 07:23PM

<HTML>errrrr, uhmmmmm [big cheesy grin]</HTML>

Date: December 10, 2002 07:26PM

<HTML>OK, Dave, I probably deserve that for giving away your Billy Connolly reference!! Why don't you enlighten us all!

[ps, the only truly Gaelic word I know that I learned from my Grandmother is 'madra' or some other spelling of that...I believe it means 'dog'. And I think she learned that from her grandfather, so who knows where it came from! Oh, and she used to make what I always thought was called "cuddle" but was actually "coddle" as in the layered potato/bacon or sausage/onion concoction that gave me an early start at my current girlish figure.]</HTML>

Posted by: fuzz (---.cableinet.co.uk)
Date: December 10, 2002 07:43PM

<HTML>When she said 'dog', judging from what most people know of foreign languages, she probably meant, 'female dog'...</HTML>

Posted by: poestscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: December 10, 2002 08:00PM

<HTML>Er, would that be a misspleing of 'Madre' as in 'tu madre' which is roughly equivalent to 'motherf_____'

Or, is it a shortening of 'Madras' as in 'a type of curry', and hence a synonym for 'dog'....

'Whisky' is Gaelic, isn't it?</HTML>

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.