New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Librarians
Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.rdg.ac.uk)
Date: January 30, 2003 11:29AM

<HTML>But comedy relies on the element of surprise. I suspect this might have been lost by now, unless one of them happens to be a member of the Spanish Inquisition.</HTML>

Posted by: dave (---.addleshaw-booth.co.uk)
Date: January 30, 2003 11:59AM

<HTML>oh dear. It's come to me.

Hans that does dishes can be soft as Gervaise, with mild green hairy lipped squid

[sound of head thudding on desk repeatedly....]</HTML>

Date: January 30, 2003 12:32PM

<HTML>Oh dear. Oh dear oh dear. Oh dear oh dear oh dear.

I'm just glad I didn't even bother wasting any time puzzling over it.</HTML>

Posted by: Rob (---.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: January 30, 2003 12:53PM

<HTML>Ah. Come on. You love it really !</HTML>

Date: January 30, 2003 12:56PM

<HTML>As the bishop said to the choirboy...</HTML>

Posted by: Ooktavia (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: January 30, 2003 07:31PM

<HTML>An alternate reading of that joke, is that the squid is not mild, but vile-tasting.......

Just fit it in where it looks best, as the High Preist said to the Vestigal Virgin.</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: January 30, 2003 10:49PM

<HTML>Is that 'vestigal' as in 'not much of it left' - like your appendix?</HTML>

Posted by: Ooktavia (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: February 01, 2003 09:07PM

<HTML>How do you know about my appendix????? It is almost as long as the rest of the book put together!

Sorry, reference to Pratchett, rather than Rome. That would have been Vestal Virgin.</HTML>

Posted by: Sarah (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: February 01, 2003 09:11PM

<HTML>Er... *clears throat*... sorry to be such a proofreader, but do you mean "vestigial"?</HTML>

Date: February 02, 2003 01:02AM

<HTML>I have no idea what she meant - I just copied her spelling... And you shouldn't confuse either type with Vespa Virgins - those are the ones who just can't find the right match...</HTML>

Date: February 02, 2003 01:03AM

<HTML>Damn, that should of course have been 'Vesta' Virgins - Vespa Virgins are ones waiting for a ride on something Italian.</HTML>

Date: February 02, 2003 10:50AM

<HTML>Mind you, any virgin wearing a vest probably isn't going to get very far...</HTML>

Posted by: Ooktavia (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: February 03, 2003 04:20PM

<HTML>Unless, of course, that's all they're wearing....

And no, I can't spell vestigial, and I don't care. That's what spellchecks are for. Except mine keep bouncing.</HTML>

Posted by: Jon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 03, 2003 04:41PM

<HTML>Spellchecks are obviously what you pay for magic lessons with. And a vestigial virgin is one the station monitor claims is only running three minutes late when you've already been standing on the platform at New Street for half a sodding hour .....

(Note to overseas visitors. Virgin (yes, that Virgin, beardie Branson) run trains. Very badly.)</HTML>

Date: February 03, 2003 06:14PM

<HTML>And they also sell condoms, or they did at one point - I don't know if they still do. What's wrong with this picture?</HTML>

Date: February 03, 2003 07:10PM

<HTML>erm... they still do. They seem to have worked so far. What's great is these days you can buy 'em in Tesco as part of your weekly shop .... none of that embarrassed-going-to-the-chemist bit, or the 'something for the weekend' routine. The checkout girl gives you a look that says 'yeah right, you're never going to need these, you old fart,' but I can live with that. I'm a respectable married man.</HTML>

Posted by: All-American-Cutie (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: February 03, 2003 09:01PM

<HTML>you know, I've never understood the embarrassment of buying condoms...or a man buying feminine hygiene products...it means you're getting some.

I laughed at my husband the first time I sent him to the store for feminine products...fully expecting a fit of whining. I asked him about it and he said it didn't embarrass him in the least. It just meant that whoever saw him would probably think he would be having sex within the next week. LOL Totally cracked me up!</HTML>

Date: February 03, 2003 09:12PM

<HTML>Fair enough, but... <i>Virgin</i> condoms?!</HTML>

Date: February 03, 2003 09:31PM

<HTML>agh .... do you know I never thought of that .... well, they aren't branded 'Virgin', see, they're branded 'Mates' ..... and you can quite see why. For one thing, given the lateness of their trains, it wouldn't inspire confidence in the female partners of users, would it?</HTML>

Date: February 03, 2003 11:36PM

<HTML>They'd never come, for starters.....</HTML>

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.