New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: can i be a bit nosy?
Posted by: dave (212.158.104.---)
Date: April 24, 2003 03:41PM

just been on their site and there's no mention of 'lady londonderry' tea. I've dropped them a mail to see what's going on...

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: April 24, 2003 06:21PM

Dave, you rock! Thanks

Posted by: Simon (193.82.99.---)
Date: April 24, 2003 06:53PM

I've never acquired a taste for tea (except 'lemon tea' when I'm suffering from a cold), and am apparently allergic to something (not the caffeine) in coffee... Cocoa, on the other hand...

"Some days I diet, other days (including this one :-) they serve lasagne."

Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: April 24, 2003 08:12PM

I started drinking coffee rather than tea because I didn't have to wait around in the kitchen for it to brew. I could go straight back upstairs to my bedroom with my coffee and cake/biscuits. About the only time I drink tea now is when I visit my friend, Iain Beswick, who doesn't have coffee in. Iain warms the teapot first and leaves the teabags to stew for about 10- 20 minutes while he talks.

Tried a couple of herbal teas and simply couldn't get on with them.

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: April 24, 2003 08:32PM

I like pretty much anything that can be brewed, strangely enough. I'll have instant coffee white with none, proper coffee black with none, Earl Grey tea has to be black with maybe a slight pinch of sugar, and normal black tea will be white with one. Everyone thinks I'm nuts for having sugar in tea but not in coffee, which I can't understand.

Green tea is nice from time to time (especially Twinings Iced Green Tea with Lemon).

I used to switch to herbal infusions for exam periods as caffeine makes you go all randomly-minded and doesn't help you concentrate. I can warn everyone off lemon and ginger, and camomile too - if I want to drink soap, I'll use fairy liquid. The best bit about herbal stuff was going back to quadrupal espressos as soon as the exams were over...

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: Sarah (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: April 24, 2003 09:03PM

I don't like regular tea, but I love the herbal ones - to be more precise, the fruity herbal ones. My favourite flavour is pear and guava, which I think is absolutely wonderful. PSD notwithstanding, I like lemon and ginger too, but one caveat about all these various teas is that to my mind they are no good without a spoonful of honey. I never sweeten any other drink (no, not even cocoa), so I think it may be safely said that herb teas on their own are pretty bitter.

I have now just about trained Minsky not to come miaowing passionately round my ankles every time I make a cup of herb tea ("gimme the honey, mummy"!)

..........................................................................................

That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
(Llewelyn the dragon, Ozy and Millie)

Sarah

Date: April 24, 2003 09:08PM

Yeah, but lemon and ginger? It's like swallowing emeryboards washed down with perfume...

Best bet is to sweeten it with honey. Recipe: Brew lemon and ginger tea. In sperate cup pour honey. Drink honey. Depart kitchen. Watch something good on TV. Return. See cup of vile liquid. Use vile liquid to unblock sink.

I sweeten herbal teas too, depending on the flavour. There's a really nice vanilla one with strawberry, I think. Elderflower and blackberry is also very nice.

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Date: April 24, 2003 09:14PM

I love ginger in any form. In fact I tend to chew pieces of crystallised ginger on long car journeys to help prevent feelings of queasiness.

..........................................................................................

Sarah

Date: April 24, 2003 09:20PM

I'm moderately allergic to ginger. It gives me a sore throat, itchy/stuffy nose and serious acid indigestion. Which is a bummer because I love gingerbread, gingersnaps and pumpkin pie with ginger. Oh well!

Date: April 24, 2003 09:46PM

:-(

That's rough.

Sarah

Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: April 24, 2003 10:03PM

I can just tolerate a bit of ginger, but the heat producing spices like chile, paprika and curry really burn me. Can't eat them at all

Posted by: Ooktavia (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: April 24, 2003 11:30PM

Tea has to be earl grey, strong enough to sing into and with lemon for me.
And also 4 spoons of sugar. That is nice tea, but it has to be drunk whilst one is eating toast with marmite (not a plug from the TMB)

Also, is Dave being accused of having granite tendancies? Or of being unstable, or of being a good dancer? I may have missed earlier elements to the statement; "Dave you rock"

*whap* Sounds of the keyboard attacking in self-defence. My mother's computer hates puns.

Sorry, I have to go now. The pun police are coming to take me away..

My reality check has just bounced again.......

Date: April 25, 2003 02:17AM

OOOOOOK!!!!! She's back!! can it be? (Hi Ook!)

PS, Dave, you rock! means that he is the coolest, greatest, most wonderful person...but you probably really did know that. Just thought I'd play along! LOL

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: April 25, 2003 03:28AM

"I can just tolerate a bit of ginger..."

I know what you mean. I prefer Mary Ann or the Professor.

Posted by: Rob (---.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: April 25, 2003 12:41PM

Regarding Earl Grey...

I know the Earl is from Newcastle way as Grey's monument is the same fella. However, does anyone (PSD perhaps) know if Grey college in Durham is anything to do with the tea chap ?

Posted by: dave (---.addleshaw-booth.co.uk)
Date: April 25, 2003 02:17PM

Yes, it is. He was Prime Minister when the University received its Charter, though the college itself wasn't built until the 1950s.

Posted by: Rob (---.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: April 25, 2003 02:55PM

Cheers mate.

My esteemed colleague (Neville Chamberlain's nephew) is going to be the master there come Spetember. Hence my query.

Posted by: dave (---.addleshaw-booth.co.uk)
Date: April 25, 2003 02:57PM

I have my uses. Some of them are even legal.

Is it hometime yet? I've had enough of today already. It's cold, wet and miserable. And I'm hungry. Time for some chocolate.

Date: April 25, 2003 06:28PM

Grey college is notable for at least two other things, too. One of them is the rather fine firework display they organise every year, and which legend has it has burnt down the college at least once. The other is for being the most militant Durham College. They passed a motion a couple of years ago that the JCR should invest in a tank...

PSD

==========

Date: April 25, 2003 09:53PM

A fine idea. They could have a lovely display of tropical fish in it.

Sarah

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.